Confirmed with Link: GM Dubas -- Part 2: What will he do next!?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Where are all these vets, who wanted to take cheap, short term deals to play for the Leafs? Maybe Dubas should learn to not shoot his mouth off in the media. Typical politician. All talk, no action.

Dubas really needs to understand that nothing good comes from speaking to the media. His next broken “promise” will happen when the Leafs trade Nylander.
:laugh:

Reactions: stickty111

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Where are all these vets, who wanted to take cheap, short term deals to play for the Leafs? Maybe Dubas should learn to not shoot his mouth off in the media. Typical politician. All talk, no action.

Dubas really needs to understand that nothing good comes from speaking to the media. His next broken “promise” will happen when the Leafs trade Nylander.

The last guy I'm guessing just put a laughing face because he thought this post was a joke but ... I'll respond

This sounds like a troll post.... if it isn't... get over yourself.

So far the guy has been doing fine. The season is in October.... it's mid July. Lots of work to be done. You just sound bored. Go for a walk, go fishing, have a beer, relax. It'll be okay.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He said there were players who lowered their ask from them. He never said he was going to sign them all :laugh: He was simply speaking to the effect a signing like this can have.

Like, other than Calvin De Haan, who we were apparently a finalist for, what defender that has signed would help our D?

We have no need for any other forwards, unless it’s like Rick Nash, but even then he’d still be on the 3rd or 4th line. We need to trade a goalie or two as it is.

Reactions: stickty111

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we give all three bridge contracts, we are essentially just moving the problem further ahead. The cap space will be bigger, but so will their demands.

If you give the 3 bridge deals, it's because you are planning to win within the next 4-5 years. Those bridge deals afford you the luxury of navigating the new CBA and also the addition of an additional top tier defender. This core will be used to win and then parts of it will have to be let go but the goal must always remain, to win.

Are you building a contender or a winner? JT signifies we now have a potential winner and every spare cap dollar will count towards the addition of a premium piece to help that along.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They won't do that. I think Nylander will be the only one taking a bit of a bridge contract... that's about it. He'll probably still get 5 years instead of 7-8.

It's a sell job...

Guys, bridge now lets try and win the next 3 years and if the CBA allows a luxury tax this time around you get paid even more for the sacrifice. You also get to be on a top 3 contender for the cup those years. If we pull out a cup or two, your names are legend here in Toronto and the endorsements for life another thing to look forward to.

Think about all that long and hard. It's not even smoke, every last word I just said is true hard hitting and substantial.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I don't think you have to bridge all 3 if you want to bridge contracts. I also don't think you bridge Matthews unless you know for sure he'll sign a 8 year contract after that one is done (There's no way of knowing). Maybe you bridge either Marner or Nylander for something cheap like 4.5m for 3 years? I personally wouldn't do it but that does free up something like 3m for them. Can that 3m get you a good enough D to make up for the chance of them making way more after the contract is done?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think you have to bridge all 3 if you want to bridge contracts. I also don't think you bridge Matthews unless you know for sure he'll sign a 8 year contract after that one is done (There's no way of knowing). Maybe you bridge either Marner or Nylander for something cheap like 4.5m for 3 years? I personally wouldn't do it but that does free up something like 3m for them. Can that 3m get you a good enough D to make up for the chance of them making way more after the contract is done?

Some people are saying that luxury tax is a done deal. Nobody can afford the luxuries like Toronto can. It may be the smart choice for the kids.

The CBA can be opted out of as soon as SEPT 2019, keep that in mind.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That poster is so consistent in always having this kind of takes regardless of the topic that I can't see how it could be genuine. Everybody is reasonable at some point, but not him.

Haha, i kind of like things being questioned;)). Some people are always optimistic flakey and and some are pessimistic cranks lol.

Nothing terrible about that ha

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It's a sell job...

Guys, bridge now lets try and win the next 3 years and if the CBA allows a luxury tax this time around you get paid even more for the sacrifice. You also get to be on a top 3 contender for the cup those years. If we pull out a cup or two, your names are legend here in Toronto and the endorsements for life another thing to look forward to.

Think about all that long and hard. It's not even smoke, every last word I just said is true hard hitting and substantial.

so sell them on a fairy tale that if they take tens of millions less now they'll make it up if the 1 000 to 1 long shot luxury tax comes in , lucky that wasn't the sell pitch to JT or he'd be house shopping in Cali this summer

also if we're this worried about what MNM will be paid then we shouldn't have signed Tavares

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

The Islander board is under the Metropolitan Division. There, you can discuss book club with your old pal Lou. :teach:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
So is the last RFA standing Nylander? I suspect we will hear something within the next week or so. The lesser lights are being signed on a daily basis, his negotiation will be more complicated l, but I bet everyone wants it figured out before it becomes a distraction.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So is the last RFA standing Nylander? I suspect we will hear something within the next week or so. The lesser lights are being signed on a daily basis, his negotiation will be more complicated l, but I bet everyone wants it figured out before it becomes a distraction.
That's the hope, but I think this might drag out. This is a pivotal contract for the Leafs, they'll want to be sure to make the most of it, even if that takes some cajoling.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Willie is last man standing, just have a feeling all three will sign extension at the same time.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Draisatl signed August 16th and Pastrnak was September 14th. Not to say it couldn't happen next week, but I wouldn't be surprised if this dragged on for awhile.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Willie is last man standing, just have a feeling all three will sign extension at the same time.
Can you imagine?

Leafs PR just surprises everyone with a tweet at like 9:30 on a Sunday.

"... oh BTW Matthews Nylander and Marner have signed extensions
Details to be released tomorrow at the press conference"

Twitter would explode haha.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Can you imagine?

Leafs PR just surprises everyone with a tweet at like 9:30 on a Sunday.

"... oh BTW Matthews Nylander and Marner have signed extensions
Details to be released tomorrow at the press conference"

Twitter would explode haha.
HF server will crash.

It could happen just need all three of them together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad