Confirmed with Link: GM Dubas -- Part 2: What will he do next!?

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
You have to think there will be at least 1 trade.

After we sign all our RFAs we will be at the 50 contract limit... need flexibility, never know who might go on waivers.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I still believe a Gardiner trade for a Spurgeon/Braun/Myers/Montour/Johns-type RHD makes the most sense for us. You could pretty much call it a day from there, with the exception of any other 1-year depth contracts or PTOs you might wanna try out.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Ennis - Lindholm - Kapanen

Rielly - Spurgeon/Braun/Myers/Montour/Johns/etc.
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick/Holl

Andersen
Sparks

Profit

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I can't remember the last time I had this much faith in a leafs GM. Obviously he's not perfect, but we're pretty lucky to have him

Yes. The exact opposite of the Burke/Nonis era. Not that some good moves weren’t made, but it was a mixed bag.

With Dubas, at least so far, you get the feeling that there’s a real plan in place that we are watching unfold properly.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Hopefully he can convince min to trade dumba for gards.
Seems like a decent hockey trade with similar players just exchanging which side u need.

Rielly dumba
Hainsey zaitsev
Dermott borg/Rosen

Would be a nice mobile back end

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe he can try and acquire some combination of Hamhuis, Sbisa and Orpik for cheap on free agency and then pursue a bigger D upgrade during the season.

Reactions: WWB

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You have to think there will be at least 1 trade.

After we sign all our RFAs we will be at the 50 contract limit... need flexibility, never know who might go on waivers.

Really? I count 47 and CapFriendly has 44 with 3 RFA's. Are they missing 3?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think at least one of Gardiner or Zaitsev is getting traded. maybe both. at least one of trades will be swapping for another blueliner Dubas feels is a better fit.

Reactions: Growler

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I think at least one of Gardiner or Zaitsev is getting traded. maybe both. at least one of trades will be swapping for another blueliner Dubas feels is a better fit.
I certainly hope we give Zaitsev more time. 2 contrasting seasons - especially when one was filled with injury, illness, and recent parenthood - doesn't seem long enough to get a real handle on what he can offer us, and we're thin enough on the right side as is.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I certainly hope we give Zaitsev more time. 2 contrasting seasons - especially when one was filled with injury, illness, and recent parenthood - doesn't seem long enough to get a real handle on what he can offer us, and we're thin enough on the right side as is.

It depends on what side of the "should we give an unproven Zaitsev a long term deal" fence Dubas fell on at the time of the signing.

we'll soon see.

Reactions: IBeL34f

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
I still believe a Gardiner trade for a Spurgeon/Braun/Myers/Montour/Johns-type RHD makes the most sense for us. You could pretty much call it a day from there, with the exception of any other 1-year depth contracts or PTOs you might wanna try out.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown

Hainsey - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick/Holl

Andersen
Sparks

Profit

I think Montour is the prize of that group. Unfortunately, Anaheim needs him and he's very popular with their fans, so I see him costing too much.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I think Montour is the prize of that group. Unfortunately, Anaheim needs him and he's very popular with their fans, so I see him costing too much.
I was also looking at Severson recently, and think I might be happiest with targeting him or Spurgeon in a Gardiner trade, if at all possible.

Reactions: Eb

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
Hopefully he can convince min to trade dumba for gards.
Seems like a decent hockey trade with similar players just exchanging which side u need.

Rielly dumba
Hainsey zaitsev
Dermott borg/Rosen

Would be a nice mobile back end
Gards UFA next summer=expensive, Dumba is better and RFA=cheaper, so why would they do that?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It depends on what side of the "should we give an unproven Zaitsev a long term deal" fence Dubas fell on at the time of the signing.

we'll soon see.
Dubas is obviously a patient guy, so hopefully he's willing to see what he truly has in Zaitsev, regardless of how he felt at the time the contract was signed. If he bounces back and helps solidify our top-4, it could turn out to be a steal.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't know what he will do, but I'm pretty sure there are some that won't give him credit for it. I can just see how the big three all sign heavily discounted contracts and certain someones still find a way to claim that Dubas really had nothing to do with it.
If that's the case, I guess my 'ignore' list will continue increasing this summer. Ah well...

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I can't see any team trading a defenseman for Gardiner, much less a younger, better one. Makes no sense for the other team. If he goes it'll be for a forward/futures.

If we want a half decent D we'll have to move a Kapanen or Johnsson type player. If we want a really good D we'll have to move Nylander. I don't like either of those options.

Any upgrades to our D this offseason are likely to be minor role player type upgrades rather than flashy names. They might try to sign more guys out of Europe for example.

Reactions: kfox

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Hes had the greatest start ever for a Leafs GM. He can do no wrong. Can't wait to see his next move.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown

Hainsey - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick/Holl

Andersen
Sparks

Profit

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad