Confirmed with Link: GM Dubas -- Part 2: What will he do next!?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The irony is that Chia's given so much money to McDavid and Draisaitl as RFA's that he's going to have a harder time augmenting the team with good players for the next 8 years of McDavid's contract. And they still have Lucic's contract, LOL. Chia's going to have to rely his draft picks and player development to infuse the team with some good players on ELC's and he's gonna have to win some trades if moving out players - he's really dug the franchise into a deep hole.

It's rather interesting that Chia could of had a forward corp similar to what we have right now with Tavares (not to mention they could have drafted Barzal):

Edmonton (what could have been):

***** - McDavid - Eberle
***** - Draisaitl - Hall
***** - Nugent-Hopkins - *****

Toronto:

***** - Matthews - Nylander
***** - Tavares - Marner
***** - Kadri - *****
The lucid contract alone is the real dagger and I laughed so hard when I saw that.
At least you can somehow justify the McDavid and Drai contracts but Lucic was just flat out wrong haha

Reactions: Superstar

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
The lucid contract alone is the real dagger and I laughed so hard when I saw that.
At least you can somehow justify the McDavid and Drai contracts but Lucic was just flat out wrong haha
It’s not even just Lucic. Yeah, that ones bad and eats up so much of McDavids contract, but the real kicker is the 377626278359 contracts for mediocre at best defencemen making $4M+. Like, for he next 3 years they have almost $20M locked up in Sekera, Larson, Klefbom and Russel. Adding whatever Nurse is going to make just amplifies it.

Chia has locked up so much money in mediocre “support” players for the first half of McDavids contract...the poor guy is going to be Bane, not seeing any kind of light until he’s well into his prime.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It’s not even just Lucic. Yeah, that ones bad and eats up so much of McDavids contract, but the real kicker is the 377626278359 contracts for mediocre at best defencemen making $4M+. Like, for he next 3 years they have almost $20M locked up in Sekera, Larson, Klefbom and Russel. Adding whatever Nurse is going to make just amplifies it.

Chia has locked up so much money in mediocre “support” players for the first half of McDavids contract...the poor guy is going to be Bane, not seeing any kind of light until he’s well into his prime.
Now Nurse is a player someone could offer sheet (I think) and really put a strain on the budget.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Well, it can't be that bad...:sarcasm: Some Oilers fans were saying the Hall for Larsson deal wasn't that bad either because it was actually Hall for Larsson and Lucic.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

The thing that best represents what's going on there is F.U.B.A.R.
When talking contracts with the big 3 Dubas should just say "Oilers" and that should wrap things up quickly

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He gon get us a real sucka who hitting that thang real hard and still pushing the heavy weights! What!

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Top pair this year will be Gardner - Rielly. If Babs school of hockey is over, now we can get to winning. Gardner and Rielly are our 2 best D men in the organisation. Its time to stop trying to spread 0ut the talent because there in enough talent on this team to go around now. Dermott can easily play top 4 now and I think him and Z would make a good pair.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Top pair this year will be Gardner - Rielly. If Babs school of hockey is over, now we can get to winning. Gardner and Rielly are our 2 best D men in the organisation. Its time to stop trying to spread 0ut the talent because there in enough talent on this team to go around now. Dermott can easily play top 4 now and I think him and Z would make a good pair.
You do realize a bunch of teams with 2 elite defenders (not that I'm calling our 2 defender elite), spread them out right? For example, Josi and Subban rarely play together. Hedman won't play with McDonagh next year most likely.

In the cap world, you don't always put your absolute best players together due to diminishing returns. Its better to spread out your wealth in most cases.

Reactions: stickty111

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
The only massive disappointment on that side is Tyler Biggs. In general, we haven't allocated high-picks on USA based players. Its not like late 2nds/early 3rd like Bracco, Woll, and Greenway had odds in their favor. Jimmy Hayes and Pateryn are actually decent picks for their slot. Kenny Ryan is a bust, but he had like a 20% chance of making it.

On a whole, from 2007 to 2015, our team was atrocious at drafting outside of the top 10, unless you are talking about Sweden, and a one-off hit with Connor Brown. Although, Ontario probably did the best.

I mean, pick me one region that did well in that area from 2007 to about 2015 outside of Sweden. We blew top 45 picks on OHL guys like Percy, and Finn, and we didn't hit on a single WHL or QMJHL player in that time frame outside of Rielly, who was a 5th overall pick. Past Rielly, the only NHLer we got from the QMJHL and WHL from 2007 until now is Luke Schenn, who has absolutely proven he wasn't worthy of being drafted 5th overall. Although, Its hard to judge our current scouting team, as such massive changes were made in 2015.

Ya Schenn didnt work out but he was a top ten player in Junior. He absolutely dominated players in a shutdown role. He could 100% compete at that speed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ya Schenn didnt work out but he was a top ten player in Junior. He absolutely dominated players in a shutdown role. He could 100% compete at that speed.
Who cares what he was in junior. Their job is to project what he can do at the NHL level. Just because other teams would have made the same mistake doesn't excuse it, otherwise, GM's and scouting staffs could permanently hide behind groupthink as rational if they took the consensus pick and they busted (see the Isles).

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I think all 3 will get 3 year contracts. They are smart, they know the money isnt available yet until we get out of past concessions first.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I think all 3 will get 3 year contracts. They are smart, they know the money isnt available yet until we get out of past concessions first.
What would they get on 3-year terms? 7.5/5/5? Would definitely allow us some wiggle room over the next couple years, you just have to wonder how much more they'll be able to command by the time those 3 years are up and try to figure out it's a smart move in the long-run.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If we give all three bridge contracts, we are essentially just moving the problem further ahead. The cap space will be bigger, but so will their demands.

They won't do that. I think Nylander will be the only one taking a bit of a bridge contract... that's about it. He'll probably still get 5 years instead of 7-8.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
What would they get on 3-year terms? 7.5/5/5? Would definitely allow us some wiggle room over the next couple years, you just have to wonder how much more they'll be able to command by the time those 3 years are up and try to figure out it's a smart move in the long-run.

Pretty much, that's about where they'd sign for on bridge deals. Basically, it ensures a better shot at the Cup in the next 4 years, since it allows us to add another very good player in the short-term.

Long-term, things get a bit murky since we don't know where the cap will be in 4 years (I'd guess around $92-95M). It's possible that at that point, it's up high enough that, even if they combine for an extra $10M on their contracts, the Leafs can still keep all 3 around while continuing to surround them with ELCs and cheap contracts. The more likely scenario is that one of Marner/Nylander gets moved for younger players and picks, while keeping the other one, along with Matthews.

The team will be in a fine position either way, as bridge deals would still ensure the ability to trade one of them should they need to, rather than bringing them to UFA status which could see one of them walk for nothing.

They won't do that. I think Nylander will be the only one taking a bit of a bridge contract... that's about it. He'll probably still get 5 years instead of 7-8.

With Willy, I can't see Dubas giving Nylander 5 years, as that is all of his remaining RFA time. Since they didn't burn a year of FA in 2015-16, I can see a 4-year deal being a possibility, though it's unlikely, since that would still leave 1 year of RFA after the contract is up. To me, it's either a 3-year bridge around $5M, similar to Kucherov, or it's an 8-year deal, since anything in between will be close enough to his 8-year value that it doesn't make sense not to take the certainty. Also, a 4-year deal, should 34/16 also sign bridge contracts, means all 3 of them would come up at the same time in 2022, which would cause a LOT of headaches lol.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Where are all these vets, who wanted to take cheap, short term deals to play for the Leafs? Maybe Dubas should learn to not shoot his mouth off in the media. Typical politician. All talk, no action.

Dubas really needs to understand that nothing good comes from speaking to the media. His next broken “promise” will happen when the Leafs trade Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad