Confirmed with Link: GM Dubas -- Part 2: What will he do next!?

Leafsguard

Feb 1, 2018
I can't remember the last time I had this much faith in a leafs GM. Obviously he's not perfect, but we're pretty lucky to have him
I said this a little while ago. This management team can tell me that they are signing bob the builder and i'll be okay with that.
They have a plan and they aren't going to move away from that plan.
With all the complaining about the horrible D the Leafs have everyone needs to remember that they had 105pts with that crappy D, thinking the Leafs will be okay

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
What are the rules for using the LTIR? I don't think we can simply sign contracts now equally to 5.3M above the cap.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
so sell them on a fairy tale that if they take tens of millions less now they'll make it up if the 1 000 to 1 long shot luxury tax comes in , lucky that wasn't the sell pitch to JT or he'd be house shopping in Cali this summer

also if we're this worried about what MNM will be paid then we shouldn't have signed Tavares

Yeah, sell them on a fairy tale. JT is ACT 1. It's a legit fairy tale, look at the team. It's already stacked.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What are the rules for using the LTIR? I don't think we can simply sign contracts now equally to 5.3M above the cap.

It's complicated but the basic version is that a team can put a player on LTIR, and should they go over the cap, they receive the relief space equal to the LTIR players contract (so essentially, TOR can spend 5.3M over the cap).

HOWEVER, LTIR can not be used to put bonuses against the cap, and any bonuses will be put over to the following season when LTIR is not used. Essentially, if the Leafs used LTIR this season, they would have the 2.3Mish of overages coming into this season, plus whatever of the 3.3M of potential bonuses get earned this season, against the cap next season.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Willie is last man standing, just have a feeling all three will sign extension at the same time.

I highly doubt this. Dubas seem to be make it clear that they will use all the time they can get to sign key players.

I mean, to be fair, Dubas simply said they are willing to be patient to ensure the players are happy with their contracts and don't regret signing them. Obviously negotiations with Nylander are happening, and based on Orr's interview, there have been talks with Matthews camp already as well, it only makes sense that there's been talk with Marner's camp as well.

That said, as cool as one big announcement and presser would be, it's very unlikely.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What does your reply have to do with my posts ?

I don't know, your post didn't really make any sense. JT came to Toronto to live the dream. They are going for a cup and everyone on this team knows it. Some people understand that small sacrifices now can equal future gains and tbh, RFA's can be bridged and they have no say, sure they can Drouin, but that doesn't usually pan out.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don't know, your post didn't really make any sense. JT came to Toronto to live the dream. They are going for a cup and everyone on this team knows it. Some people understand that small sacrifices now can equal future gains and tbh, RFA's can be bridged and they have no say, sure they can Drouin, but that doesn't usually pan out.
No , my post was about you selling some pie in the sky luxury tax replacing the hard cap as a way to convince MNM to take under market value deals and then have it made up to them financially later under the new salary structure.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Where are all these vets, who wanted to take cheap, short term deals to play for the Leafs? Maybe Dubas should learn to not shoot his mouth off in the media. Typical politician. All talk, no action.

Dubas really needs to understand that nothing good comes from speaking to the media. His next broken “promise” will happen when the Leafs trade Nylander.
You missed the entire first few days of free agency. Ennis was the latest. I am not saying that 11,000,000 is cheap, but even Tavares signed for less than he was offered elsewhere and what he was offered to stay. Perhaps you were using your other account that day? I will be surprised if I learn that you can tie your own shoes.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I said this a little while ago. This management team can tell me that they are signing bob the builder and i'll be okay with that.
They have a plan and they aren't going to move away from that plan.
With all the complaining about the horrible D the Leafs have everyone needs to remember that they had 105pts with that crappy D, thinking the Leafs will be okay
You could argue Washington had a worse D than Toronto last year... I think the D worries are overrated. Taveres signing alone makes us a much better team D... and subtractions of JVR and Bozak should also make us stronger.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
What will he do next? How about he puts the kibosh on playing Sweet f***ing Caroline at every home game? It’s a Boston song, not a Toronto song. Want something the fans can sing along to? Living on a Prayer, period. Dang this deserved it’s own thread.

Reactions: White Shadow

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
What will he do next? How about he puts the kibosh on playing Sweet ****ing Caroline at every home game? It’s a Boston song, not a Toronto song. Want something the fans can sing along to? Living on a Prayer, period. Dang this deserved it’s own thread.

Except Living on a Prayer is a New Jersey song. IMHO, "Hold On" by Triumph would be perfect for playing in the 3rd period when the team's got the lead.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The cap is seeming well managed. (Complicated stuff, makes my head spin with bonuses, overages, ltir, etc)
Roster shape is looking good.
Not many expiring contracts, good flow of players down below pushing up.
Marlies looking good competitively and developmentally.
Still to do:
1. Gardiner is the big play: sign, trade, or let play and likely lose. Depending on the decision, there may be some other moves on the D side.
2. Signing the kids. Would be a powerful statement move to get all three locked in.
3. Sort out the excesses and find some value (there’s an extra goalie or two, a couple of extra D around the 6-10 area on the depth chart.
4. Keep and/or recycle assets. Unsigned guys like Joshua and Korshkov, and find value for guys entering last year of their ELC (Tima, Nielsen, Moore).

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
What will he do next? How about he puts the kibosh on playing Sweet ****ing Caroline at every home game? It’s a Boston song, not a Toronto song. Want something the fans can sing along to? Living on a Prayer, period. Dang this deserved it’s own thread.
I'm surprised there are not more anti-Sweet Cock.of.Mine fans lurking.

Reactions: BillDerlago

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Except Living on a Prayer is a New Jersey song. IMHO, "Hold On" by Triumph would be perfect for playing in the 3rd period when the team's got the lead.

As long as NJ teams don't play the song in their arena, we good.

member 300185

There has never been more information packed into 6 sentences in the history of the world.

Reactions: BillDerlago

member 300185

How about "The Good ole hockey game"?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Canadian songs you hear during games

50 Mission Cap
Limelight
Ahead by a Century
Big League
Aldo Nova – Fantasy
You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet
Takin’ Care of Business
Courage

I hate Loverboy but..."the kid is hot tonight" might be an appropriate song this year.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Canadian songs you hear during games

50 Mission Cap
Limelight
Ahead by a Century
Big League
Aldo Nova – Fantasy
You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet
Takin’ Care of Business
Courage

I hate Loverboy but..."the kid is hot tonight" might be an appropriate song this year.
Blasphemer! :laugh:

Honestly, there's no reason we couldn't play entirely (good) Canadian music at every single game. Gimme some Sloan, Arkells, Monster Truck, Billy Talent, etc. - not to mention the billion local indie acts that they could give exposure to - over Sweet Caroline or Livin' On A Prayer any day of the week.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
We are going to be at 49 contracts when Nylander signs.

I could see him moving Leivo and Sparks/Pickard to bring it to 47.
I also wouldn't mind giving Dzierkals an ELC rather than having him go back to Europe. He had a very nice transition to Pro Hockey, albeit in the ECHL.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
We are going to be at 49 contracts when Nylander signs.

I could see him moving Leivo and Sparks/Pickard to bring it to 47.

I also wouldn't mind giving Dzierkals an ELC rather than having him go back to Europe. He had a very nice transition to Pro Hockey, albeit in the ECHL.
CapFriendly has us at 46/50 contracts currently, with only Nylander left to re-sign - Am I missing something?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Honestly, there's no reason we couldn't play entirely (good) Canadian music at every single game. Gimme some Sloan, Arkells, Monster Truck, Billy Talent, etc. - not to mention the billion local indie acts that they could give exposure to - over Sweet Caroline or Livin' On A Prayer any day of the week.
Max Webster's Battle Scar. :thumbu:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
honestly, hearing that during the 1st round last year was embarrassing.

How about "The Good ole hockey game"?

Max Webster's Battle Scar. :thumbu:

Reactions: Notsince67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad