GM Chuck Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I doubt they have inside knowledge but Lebrun put it out there that Fletcher has gone round the whole league talking about potential moves for a goalie, a top 4 D, and a top 9 forward.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The media and more specifically the broadcast team now talking up potential upcoming trades during the broadcast. As if they know something is up and are giving the "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, something is coming" to the fans. "Please get excited about our team again".

I have a bad feeling...

I think it's more they are trying to distract the viewers and themselves from the fact that Hak is f***ing awful and should be gone.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I doubt they have inside knowledge but Lebrun put it out there that Fletcher has gone round the whole league talking about potential moves for a goalie, a top 4 D, and a top 9 forward.

You can't buy assets for a team that has such long odds to come back and make the playoffs, or do anything in them. Let alone acquire each of those pieces. Teams are lucky to get one without emptying the coffers. You doubly can't buy assets if the plan is to keep the coach. They're incongruous.

And even if Quenneville magically came here in January, this team's goose will be cooked. Fletcher likely isn't a moron -- that's the hope anyway -- who will sacrifice a 5-10 year job of sustainable success for the sake of a single mediocre season that he came aboard on midway through and is not to blame for. His angle should be for the long haul, next year and beyond. But we have no idea how much higher ups want to meddle. That also does not preclude him from make long-term fixes and changes right now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You can't buy assets for a team that has such long odds to come back and make the playoffs, or do anything in them. Let alone acquire each of those pieces. Teams are lucky to get one without emptying the coffers. You doubly can't buy assets if the plan is to keep the coach. They're incongruous.

And even if Quenneville magically came here in January, this team's goose will be cooked. Fletcher likely isn't a moron -- that's the hope anyway -- who will sacrifice a 5-10 year job of sustainable success for the sake of a single mediocre season that he came aboard on midway through and is not to blame for. His play should be for the long haul, next year and beyond. But we have no idea how much higher ups want to meddle.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous, but that’s what’s been reported.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
And Fletch is going to make sure those odds are decreased...and we still either won't make the playoffs or go far with Haktard
I don't agree with that. By the same logic people were expecting him to come right in and start making huge moves immediately. Some were even suggesting that Holmgren was going to do the same before hiring a GM. They don't seem like they are in a hurry to do anything. People seem to forget that Holmgren sold mostly and essentially tanked the rest of the season when he was hired as GM, got a high pick, and made huge moves over the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar.

Reactions: tucson83

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't agree with that. By the same logic people were expecting him to come right in and start making huge moves immediately. Some were even suggesting that Holmgren was going to do the same before hiring a GM. They don't seem like they are in a hurry to do anything. People seem to forget that Holmgren sold mostly and essentially tanked the rest of the season when he was hired as GM, got a high pick, and made huge moves over the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar.
Guess we'll see. To me ..best they tank for the best odds possible in the lottery although I still think we cashed in our luck with Patrick. Keeping Haktard should assure a top 5 pick...

Reactions: The Madrigal

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't know man...both Chuck Fletcher and Brent Flahr don't have names that scream greatness...now Hakstol......exudes mediocrity.

Reactions: Hakroach

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

And even if Quenneville magically came here in January, this team's goose will be cooked. Fletcher likely isn't a moron -- that's the hope anyway -- who will sacrifice a 5-10 year job of sustainable success for the sake of a single mediocre season that he came aboard on midway through and is not to blame for. His angle should be for the long haul, next year and beyond. But we have no idea how much higher ups want to meddle. That also does not preclude him from make long-term fixes and changes right now.
I don’t think we have to worry about Fletcher doing anything because other teams right now are not in sell mode, at least for realistic returns. An example is Detroit is looking for a 1st rd pick for Jimmy Howard and apparently won’t budge.

Other teams aren’t going to pull the plug on the season this early. Owners still want to sell tickets and a lot of teams will look at 6 pts about of a playoff spot as having a chance. So unless Fletcher and management are complete morons, which I don’t see as the case, nothing is going to be able to get done until closer to the deadline. By then the season will be sunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: wufuhimself

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Agreed. This season may already be a waste so put everything into making this team a contender next year. Having a top 10 pick opens up a bunch of different options.

Reactions: DaphneLion

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Problem is no FO is going to write off a season when you're only 4 points out, and the teams ahead of you aren't exactly powerhouses. You can probably make the playoffs this year with 92 points.

With Stolarz looking like a real goalie, and Elliott probably returning for Vancouver, Fletcher will wait and see how they play, no point trading for a veteran goalie no better than what you have in house.

While TDL deals tend to be one sided, player for player deals can be pretty even if you find another GM who also needs to shake up his roster, and that's probably what Fletcher is looking at right now, both because of pressure from above, but also because this team needs a shakeup, and firing Hakstol and hiring Gordon won't suffice.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Fletcher is going to leave Hakstol until the end of the season then he has to at least take away the babies toys, otherwise he's not actually going to do anything positive with this rumored trades.

Adding a vet defensemen is the last thing we need because if we get one it would only mean more misuse of our best players. Last night Provorov played 30 min and then the next two were Mac and Hagg... indisputably our two worst defensemen. Meanwhile, Sanheim plays 10 min so there's no chance Hakstol would do the right thing and replace a shit vet with a better vet... it'd be Sanheim sitting.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
sad thing is our division..we are only 4 pts out. Any other division and we are down by 10.

Maybe the Canes, Isles and Rags fall off, but there's no way this team catches all of them and also leap frogs Pittsburgh or CBJ for the last spot

1 TB .766
2 Tor .694
3 Buf .645
WC2 Mon .565

1 Was .650
2 CBJ .567
3 Pit .533
WC1 Bos .613

NHL.com - Stats

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Just because the term “Vet” was used, doesn’t mean we’re getting another Pavel Kubina. There’s a number of good defenseman that may be available who would slide into our top 3 and could be considered vets.

With the way the cap is set up moving forward and the amount of players either locked in long term or soon to be, the available money is best used on 2-3 big acquisitions.

St. Louis is really shaping up to be the best partner if they’re willing to move Pietrangelo and/or Tarasenko. Both fit in long term and I’d give up any 4-5 pieces not on the NHL roster for them. Add a goalie with them and you become an immediate contender next year.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just because the term “Vet” was used, doesn’t mean we’re getting another Pavel Kubina. There’s a number of good defenseman that may be available who would slide into our top 3 and could be considered vets.

It does mean that, based on current usage, Sanheim stops playing altogether, assuming he's not part of the trade for this veteran dman.

Reactions: Rebels57

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
It does mean that, based on current usage, Sanheim stops playing altogether, assuming he's not part of the trade for this veteran dman.

I’d be shocked if Sanheim isn’t a clear fixture in the top 4 in the next 6 weeks. I don’t think him, Provorov, or Ghost will be traded though.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I’d be shocked if Sanheim isn’t a clear fixture in the top 4 in the next 6 weeks. I don’t think him, Provorov, or Ghost will be traded though.
If the Flyers are making a trade, you can almost guarantee one of the big name defenders will be a part of it. We aren't going to improve the offense or defense unless they are. Depending on who the target is I am not opposed to this, but if we are getting a top 4 defender or a top 6 player we are not going to get one by trading NAK or Rubstov. Frost is probably attractive but I doubt the Flyers move him. The Frizbee and O'Brien probably aren't going to get big returns. Simmer is going to return you futures because the team going after him isn't going to trade a current piece. If we are looking to improve the roster (i.e., not futures), Provolone, Ghost, Sanheim, or Myers is gone. There is no other option.

Reactions: VoraceksWristShot

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
How do we have the worst pk in hockey for 3-4 years and the same guy is employed as the pk coach. Right now we’re the worst pp and pk team in the league. I’d like to see Sanheim put on the top unit. I honestly don’t care who this offends because there’s so many Ghost homers on here, guy isn’t that great, I’d be willing to trade him for the right piece. Dude folds in the playoffs hard and he’s not even the straw the stirs the drink on the PP it’s Giroux. I think Sanheim could take his spot easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad