GM Chuck Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
If the Flyers are making a trade, you can almost guarantee one of the big name defenders will be a part of it. We aren't going to improve the offense or defense unless they are. Depending on who the target is I am not opposed to this, but if we are getting a top 4 defender or a top 6 player we are not going to get one by trading NAK or Rubstov. Frost is probably attractive but I doubt the Flyers move him. The Frizbee and O'Brien probably aren't going to get big returns. Simmer is going to return you futures because the team going after him isn't going to trade a current piece. If we are looking to improve the roster (i.e., not futures), Provolone, Ghost, Sanheim, or Myers is gone. There is no other option.

I agree with this and I think Ghost is expendable. No way I’d trade Provy or Sanheim, that’s insanity.

Reactions: wufuhimself

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
If the Flyers are making a trade, you can almost guarantee one of the big name defenders will be a part of it. We aren't going to improve the offense or defense unless they are. Depending on who the target is I am not opposed to this, but if we are getting a top 4 defender or a top 6 player we are not going to get one by trading NAK or Rubstov. Frost is probably attractive but I doubt the Flyers move him. The Frizbee and O'Brien probably aren't going to get big returns. Simmer is going to return you futures because the team going after him isn't going to trade a current piece. If we are looking to improve the roster (i.e., not futures), Provolone, Ghost, Sanheim, or Myers is gone. There is no other option.

Unless it’s Pietrangelo, Doughty, or someone a little below them, it won’t be more than Myers+ or a 1st/Prospect+.

I’d gladly deal Myers for a #2/3 defenseman who has 4-6 good years left.

It would cost a lot to move Frost, but I wouldn’t consider him untouchable. It would have to be for someone like Tarasenko or Pietrangelo though.

How about Jonas Brodin? He wouldn’t be super expensive and would slide in nicely next to Sanheim. Hes at a very affordable cap hit for the next 3 playoff runs(we’d likely get him for 2) and will only be 28 when his contract is up. The connection to Fletcher is obvious.

Last edited:

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Do we make a trade for Crawford or Quick?

I would rather have Crawford than Quick because of the term but maybe Hart having a Stanley Cup Winning goaltender to come up and learn from for a few years is good. Crawford would only be here for two years and Hart wouldn't benefit much from us having him. We certainly would. Might be good for Stolarz too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Problem is no FO is going to write off a season when you're only 4 points out, and the teams ahead of you aren't exactly powerhouses. You can probably make the playoffs this year with 92 points.

With Stolarz looking like a real goalie, and Elliott probably returning for Vancouver, Fletcher will wait and see how they play, no point trading for a veteran goalie no better than what you have in house.

While TDL deals tend to be one sided, player for player deals can be pretty even if you find another GM who also needs to shake up his roster, and that's probably what Fletcher is looking at right now, both because of pressure from above, but also because this team needs a shakeup, and firing Hakstol and hiring Gordon won't suffice.

Goalies don't fix Hakstol. Stolarz just turned in a solid performance and Hakstol squandered it. He routinely squanders good G performances. His first playoff series was one big wasted hot streak from Neuvy.

Fletcher has one hour after the end of this away stand to fire Hakstol, after that I'm calling for his head. There is no excuse for tolerating this failure for a second longer than that. He doesn't know what he's doing and the youth overall aren't developing which was supposed to the main f***ing strong point for this slob.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I like quick but he's been battling injuries. Let Stolarz play.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I agree with this and I think Ghost is expendable. No way I’d trade Provy or Sanheim, that’s insanity.

I don't know if expendable is the word, but I would not consider any of our defensive prospects off the table completely. Depending on what the return is I would trade pretty much any one of them. Some would be harder to pry away than others, but no one is completely off-limits.

Unless it’s Pietrangelo, Doughty, or someone a little below them, it won’t be more than Myers+ or a 1st/Prospect+.

I’d gladly deal Myers for a #2/3 defenseman who has 4-6 good years left.

It would cost a lot to move Frost, but I wouldn’t consider him untouchable. It would have to be for someone like Tarasenko or Pietrangelo though.

How about Jonas Brodin? He wouldn’t be super expensive and would slide in nicely next to Sanheim. Hes at a very affordable cap hit for the next 3 playoff runs(we’d likely get him for 2) and will only be 28 when his contract is up. The connection to Fletcher is obvious.

Yeah that's what I am saying, if we want to improve the team now, someone big in the system (or young blueliner in the NHL) is gone. The conundrum is always the same: the HFB experts want to improve now and in the future, but don't want to give anyone up. All our prospects are slam dunks to superstars and everyone else's are too risky. Anyone over 22 isn't worth pursuing especially if it involves a prospects. Need to get better by somehow acquiring superstars on cost-controlled deals without making a trade that costs us a prospects who some day may one day hopefully maybe be the guy we can count on. :laugh::laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah anyone watching that game saw that goaltending was not an issue at all last night, and we allowed 6 goals. That says it all.

At this point, I am just ****ing confused on what is going on with this franchise and why the #1 common denominator to ALL the issues, is still coaching.

I can't even begin to count how many times our goaltending was doing fine, then they go into a shell and the goalies get pounded down while the worst players have their ice time maxed out.

We do not have great goalies, but they should be average. They are not average in large part due to awful game management.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Fletcher not firing Hakstol is forgive-able. What's he suppose to do, fire the staff and immediately replace them? None of us know what conversations of lack there of he's had with Q and etc.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Maybe the Canes, Isles and Rags fall off, but there's no way this team catches all of them and also leap frogs Pittsburgh or CBJ for the last spot

1 TB .766
2 Tor .694
3 Buf .645
WC2 Mon .565

1 Was .650
2 CBJ .567
3 Pit .533
WC1 Bos .613

NHL.com - Stats
I'm just saying our MGMT probably has the "we are still in it" take, where a team like the kings knows this season is done.

I would have been a seller in almost every situation this year if I were GM. I'be been playing for 2020-2021 mentally for a long time.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I think Stolarz is our guy, but I still think it'd be beneficial to get another guy.

Hak is the problem, I'm not discounting that. Personnel decisions in the final minutes of that game lost it for us.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Fletcher not firing Hakstol is forgive-able. What's he suppose to do, fire the staff and immediately replace them? None of us know what conversations of lack there of he's had with Q and etc.

I would think that Fletcher has talked to Quenneville. By all accounts, he’s waiting until after the holidays to make a decision. You could hire an interim, but he’d quite possibly just clean house so it might not make a difference.

Ideally, you hire Quenneville in the new year and let him get a few months to get to know the team so they can start off running next year.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I would think that Fletcher has talked to Quenneville. By all accounts, he’s waiting until after the holidays to make a decision. You could hire an interim, but he’d quite possibly just clean house so it might not make a difference.

Ideally, you hire Quenneville in the new year and let him get a few months to get to know the team so they can start off running next year.

Exactly, I think its just a bit irrational to already be clamoring that Fletcher needs to make a change. Putting a coach as an interim for only a few weeks (if Q was to come here after the new year) doesn't make any sense. Change just for the sake of change is always pointless and stupid.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Exactly, I think its just a bit irrational to already be clamoring that Fletcher needs to make a change. Putting a coach as an interim for only a few weeks (if Q was to come here after the new year) doesn't make any sense. Change just for the sake of change is always pointless and stupid.

I almost think that he’s waiting on Quenneville because despite the somewhat comforting comments he’s made about Hakstol, there’s no way he sees him staying past this season.

There’s been a ton of rumors about trades but not much about interviewing other coaching candidates. Could be because they’re not, or because they know they have Quenneville on board in a few weeks.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I think Stolarz is our guy, but I still think it'd be beneficial to get another guy.

He's it baby, he's our baby,

DMiU-ELXUAAqRTe.jpg

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Yeah anyone watching that game saw that goaltending was not an issue at all last night, and we allowed 6 goals. That says it all.

At this point, I am just ****ing confused on what is going on with this franchise and why the #1 common denominator to ALL the issues, is still coaching.

I think it’s clear something major needs to happen to the core and coaching staff. Move on from Simmonds and possibly Voracek and bring in two established high end players.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think it’s clear something major needs to happen to the core and coaching staff. Move on from Simmonds and possibly Voracek and bring in two established high end players.

Something needs to happen. A shakeup may make this team worst, but if that is the case then we need it because we can't continue to just go about doing the same thing.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
The only fans I don’t understand on here are the ones unwilling to make a major deal for a high end player because of a lack of need. What do they want to spend all of the open cap space on over the next 4-5 years? Third liners and #4 defenseman?

For example, some not wanting to make a move for Tavares this summer because we have Couturier, Patrick, and Frost. Sure it’s good, but it could be among the best in the league. Goes for every position.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To get to 93 points...which the last wildcard team is on for, we would need to play at a 101 point pace teh rest of teh way to make the playoffs.

Pitt is getting in. So we will need to overtake Montreal/NYI/etc... Which on paper, we are better than these team and can do so. But it's played on the ice...so we shall see.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The only fans I don’t understand on here are the ones unwilling to make a major deal for a high end player because of a lack of need. What do they want to spend all of the open cap space on over the next 4-5 years? Third liners and #4 defenseman?

Im fine with trading, but not until Hak is fired..and hes not..because we are being punished.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Am I the only one not sold on stolarz? Not even judging good or bad but I need more than this short stint to anoint him.
I think it's more of a "convinced he can be one of our 2 goalies the rest of the year along with Elliott unless an obvious upgrade is acquired". No need for Neuvy/Lyon.

As we saw last night, his numbers don't tell the whole story with his play. He has played way better than the numbers show.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Do we make a trade for Crawford or Quick?

I would rather have Crawford than Quick because of the term but maybe Hart having a Stanley Cup Winning goaltender to come up and learn from for a few years is good. Crawford would only be here for two years and Hart wouldn't benefit much from us having him. We certainly would. Might be good for Stolarz too.
Unless it was dirt ass cheap I wouldn't. Crawford isn't faring much better than who we have on a defense that is at least comparable to ours. Quick will be 33 next month with a million years left on his deal and he seems to be constantly battling some kind of injury. I am not opposed to getting either, but I really wouldn't give up much. Any idea what the asking price would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->