Post-Game Talk: GM 49 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Columbus Blue Jackets | 5-2 | Pettersson(2), Hughes, Mikheyev, & Joshua

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
surgery is the worst case for mikheyev. if you have a tear you really want to let it heal naturally through rehab. his speed is probably not going to be the same coming back
ACL surgeries are really good these days, his speed will still be there. If anything, the worry is the other leg having another ACL injury after he comes back. Actually giving him 8 months to rehab is ideal.

I think I read somewhere 12 month is the safest to prevent the other leg from having a similar injury.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I guess Mikheyev wanted to play tonight and that’s why Allvin moved the media availability to after the game

Reactions: Breakers

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
ACL surgeries are really good these days, his speed will still be there. If anything, the worry is the other leg having another ACL injury after he comes back. Actually giving him 8 months to rehab is ideal.

I think I read somewhere 12 month is the safest to prevent the other leg from having a similar injury.

my wife is an orthopedic surgeon and outcomes are really bad even with the best surgeons. they go out of their way to get people to do rehab first and only resort to surgery for people who can't be talked out of it or have no hope of recovery

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Least I got to watch the third. No sound of course. You'd think we were living in the dawn of the radio age on the Island the way things get shut down around here.

One thing I did note was the way the team was keeping 5 men on the screen as Tocchet was talking about. Kind of what teams have been doing to us a lot. We press the play but stay mostly on the perimeter and other team wait for a turn over and then the quick breakout and the odd man rush. Been happening to us all season and could see the same thing was happening to Columbus. (in the highlights and part I was allowed to watch)

Lots of scouts watching Horvat, Schenn, etc play. Sound like neither Horvat or Schenn disappointed.

Shutdown of Micheyev explains a lot about his play and lack of use on PK. Guess it explains the use of Pederson too. Injury was good news of a sort. Helps us have more hope for Micheyev moving ahead by explaining why he didn't do more this season and makes a full blown tank more hopeful. Trade out a couple of players and hopes of getting a shot at a top prospect becomes even more achievable.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
It's just such a random game for this decision to come so immediately after.

Like here, play against columbus at the end of a home stand and we'll decide then.

I just dont understand the decision making

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
my wife is an orthopedic surgeon and outcomes are really bad even with the best surgeons. they go out of their way to get people to do rehab first and only resort to surgery for people who can't be talked out of it or have no hope of recovery
There is a massive difference between, what us normies get as first of all surgeons and then the post-op care, vs what pro athletes worth millions to their teams get.

I would expect him to be able to play next year just fine. His skating likley wont be back to 100% until after next season.

My worry is what kind of additional damage has he done to his injured knee, hip and lower back playing with a unstable knee.

One thing is for sure. Mikheyev is a tough bastard.

edit. Also I think the orthopaedic surgeons as a whole have overcorrected this past decade. At least here in Finland they have gone from performing surgery pretty much every time it might help, to having people living with tremendous pain for years just to avoid unecessary surgeries.

Reactions: Indiana and quat

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
There is a massive difference between, what us normies get as first of all surgeons and then the post-op care, vs what pro athletes worth millions to their teams get.

I would expect him to be able to play next year just fine. His skating likley wont be back to 100% until after next season.

My worry is what kind of additional damage has he done to his injured knee, hip and lower back playing with a unstable knee.

there really isn't. my wife operated on multiple pro athletes during her fellowship. she's in onco ortho now so she doesn't do sports medicine but we have friends who work for nfl teams and you can see the same surgeons as tom brady and jj watt

Reactions: DarrenX

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

edit. Also I think the orthopaedic surgeons as a whole have overcorrected this past decade. At least here in Finland they have gone from performing surgery pretty much every time it might help, to having people living with tremendous pain for years just to avoid unecessary surgeries.
As opposed to Sean Bean who is a proper bastard.:naughty:

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
So the never ending Canucks clown show just kept playing Ilya while he was injured?

Whats wrong with this outfit?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
there really isn't. my wife operated on multiple pro athletes during her fellowship. she's in onco ortho now so she doesn't do sports medicine but we have friends who work for nfl teams and you can see the same surgeons as tom brady and jj watt
Sorry.

Thats just not true.

edit. Actually I'll remove the bolded part.

Almost none of that is true.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Sorry.

Thats just not true.

this is the top sports medicine clinic in the world. tom brady's surgeon works there. you can book a consultation with him right now and your insurance will pay for it. ask for dr elattracche

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
So sat says he wouldnt be surprised if other players are shut down around the deadline. Wonder who he is mentioning. Entire team looks injured at times, so I have no idea.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

this is the top sports medicine clinic in the world. tom brady's surgeon works there. you can book a consultation with him right now and your insurance will pay for it
And if you have the money you can have your Max Pacciorety fly to Finland and have Lasse Lempainen do the operation.

And then have a team of physio therapists and doctors and trainers all work to rehab him to optimize the post-op.

The claim that anyone has the access to the same level of care as pro athletes is simply not true.

You really don’t know how the world works do you
Sigh... Oh you.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
And if you have the money you can have your Max Pacciorety fly to Finland and have Lasse Lempainen do the operation.

And then have a team of physio therapists and doctors and trainers all work to rehab him to optimize the post-op.

The claim that anyone has the access to the same level of care as pro athletes is simply not true.

i dunno how it works in finland but in the usa clinics like this will bend over backwards to work with your (private) insurance to treat you because the insurance companies will pay high six figures for your treatment

it's not open to people without health insurance, sure, but those people aren't getting treatment for their torn acl at all and that's a minority of americans

(also clinics like kerlan jobe do thousands of uncompensated surgeries for those without insurance every year. you're probably not getting dr elattracche if you're in that category though)

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Sigh... Oh you.
I mean if you are using an extreme outlier case where you have to fly out of the country to somewhere in Europe for surgery then sure. But considering most athletes in NA actually get their surgery in America, yeah you are pretty wrong.

Sure you won’t get the same type of rehab program but at the same time you don’t need it because you don’t need to rebuild your muscles for intense sports requirement.
Most people will have no issues getting access to the same surgeon that athletes see in America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad