Post-Game Talk: GM 49 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Columbus Blue Jackets | 5-2 | Pettersson(2), Hughes, Mikheyev, & Joshua

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Canucks_Tank.jpg

Must lose game tonight

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Win lose or draw, well draw isn't possible anymore, this could be Horvat's last game in the city.

With Mathews injured and likely put on LTIR cap space opens for many trades could this be Tampa II?

Columbus has had injuries to many key players which has depressed their point totals and while no team would turn their nose up for Bedard Columbus is a team so deep in prospects to miss him is not a disaster. IMO they could use their #1 pick in a trade for Miller or Horvat easily.

The BJ's have been winning games this week.

It should be a copy of the Chicago game but who knows. That was the planned timing for Tocchet's first few games anyway.

Will Horvat be sat? Probably not if this is his last game here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The team is obviously going to win this game at home with a new coach against a far worse team and I don't even know why people would get their hopes up cheering for a loss here.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Good to see Bear back.

I do think Mikheyev works better on Horvats wing (until he's traded) so that's good to see. Pederson mostly just a warm body filling in for Podkolzin or Hoglander. I expect Podkolzin-Pettersson-Kuzmenko to eventually be our first line.

I'm still so curious about what they'll do between Garland and Boeser. That's my biggest point of intrigue at the moment. Garland is better statistically at 5v5, and can actually skate, but is pretty ineffective at being an offensive threat and finishing (although, maybe he, somehow, plays better for Tocchet like in ARI?); Boeser, on the other hand, is a total black box to me. It's easy to say that he's just never had it, he's not that guy, and that this is who he is, but I don't know. Is there something physical wrong with him? Mental?

Boeser seems like the higher ceiling player to keep, as he's shown he can be very effective and productive on the PP and on the wing of both of our centers going forward (Miller and Pettersson). However, the team would obviously like to move on from him if they have inside information that says he's just not going to be that guy we saw leading the team a couple years ago. Garland is an expensive, but versatile, low ceiling winger. I'd personally want to get rid of both to be honest, but I'd rather keep Boeser if we keep either. Brock probably has less value as it is and would be less rewarding to trade besides.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Probably not. Moreso curious why they did what they did, which is common with this group.

I suppose it could be that they're sending Pederson down so they can recall someone, and Pederson needs to clear waivers.

I can't imagine the Canucks just staying at 12 healthy forwards and not bringing someone else up.

But the fact that Pederson just skated on the top line in the morning skate is odd.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I suppose it could be that they're sending Pederson down so they can recall someone, and Pederson needs to clear waivers.

I can't imagine the Canucks just staying at 12 healthy forwards and not bringing someone else up.

But the fact that Pederson just skated on the top line in the morning skate is odd.

The most likely scenario is they are sending him down now because it's one of the least likely times for a player to be claimed and opens a roster spot if they can finalize a trade between now and the next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad