Pre-Game Talk: GM 4: Vancouver Canucks @ San Jose Sharks - May 7 - 7:00PM PST - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
it may be a stupid question, but are there any public viewings of the canucks games? I imagined they cancelled all outdoor viewings because of the riot.

It's only round 1, I don't think we've ever had public viewings for games round 1 or 2 post 94. Guessing those are only reserved for the Stanley Cup Finals.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It's only round 1, I don't think we've ever had public viewings for games round 1 or 2 post 94. Guessing those are only reserved for the Stanley Cup Finals.

ahh cheers.

Just watching the Leafs and they're having a big outside party. That's what happens when you're in the playoffs for the first time in 9 years! :laugh:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I don't even care about this game I am more focused on a retooling for the team so then we can actually go back to enjoying some good hockey instead of watching the pain.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Watching all these other series and it seems like the Canucks are the only team that hasn't realized it is the playoffs. Despite who is favored in all these match ups both teams lay it all on the ice, and the underdogs do their best to out work the favorite for an upset.

Could it be that the team was saving themselves a bit for later rounds? That would of course go against them preaching all season long that there are no easy teams in the league.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't even care about this game I am more focused on a retooling for the team so then we can actually go back to enjoying some good hockey instead of watching the pain.

If we "retool" it will get much worse before it gets any better, and if you mean good hockey as 2011, that might not happen again

ruiner

Feb 20, 2013
I agree they're actually trying.

Where you and I disagree is that I don't see the problem as being with the game plan, I see the problem as being the team just isn't all that good.

Not that I've caught any of the Pitts/NYI games but what you're saying is the Islanders have a better team than us?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
has your opinion (i think it was you) on cooper being a generationally talented coach diminished some with his performance this year, then?

Nope. I posted at the time and said that I expect him to do poorly given what he's being given to work with. I also thought that the Lightning were dumb to fire Boucher in the first place. But you also have to consider that I rate Boucher very highly. The guy is even younger than Cooper and when given some decent goaltending was able to do very well with that team.

Eakins and Desjardins are definitely in a tier below for me but I would still be happy if we hired either of them.

arsmaster*

Nope. I posted at the time and said that I expect him to do poorly given what he's being given to work with. I also thought that the Lightning were dumb to fire Boucher in the first place. But you also have to consider that I rate Boucher very highly. The guy is even younger than Cooper and when given some decent goaltending was able to do very well with that team.

Eakins and Desjardins are definitely in a tier below for me but I would still be happy if we hired either of them.
Not that world juniors means too much, but I thought Desjardins was horrendous coaching that team.

Do not want.

Boucher or Tippett for me.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Could it be that the team was saving themselves a bit for later rounds? That would of course go against them preaching all season long that there are no easy teams in the league.

Doubt it. The Sharks won all three regular season games and had only two less points than us. I don't think anyone could look at that matchup and say that it would be easy.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

I think this sorta happened last playoffs against the Kings, but after they realized what happened with the Kings, I don't think that is the problem this time around.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't see all this 'lazy' or 'uninspired' or 'heartless' play by the Canucks. To me they've done everything AV has asked them to and more. It's not their fault if the coach's gameplan is just so bad that there are no results from it.

There's very few players on our team that I truly feel didn't step it up for the playoffs (Raymond, Bieksa, Ebbett).

It also explains all these mysterious (to me, anyways) post-game quotes for the last two years about winning close games and playing well when it's obvious they have been dominated.

It's basically the players saying they are playing the system and doing exactly as they're being told.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Bieksa is a sore loser, and that is all what needs to be said.

At least hes showing some frustration unlike the Captain saying we were right there for 2 periods and we need to stay calm.

Nothing wrong with the frustration hes showing and if it makes him a sore loser than so be it. Show me a good loser and i'll show you a real loser

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Guy Boucher is my first choice as well. When the thought first occurred to me that AV might actually be done here, the first replacement coach that instantly came to mind was Boucher. Pay no attention to his firing this year. The guy is a great coach and his goaltending solely cost him his job almost just as much as Vigneault's goaltending saved his.

Guy Boucher is a vocal coach who runs a solid defensive system that also allows his offensive stars to flourish. Please, Gillis, hire Boucher!

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Guy Boucher is my first choice as well. When the thought first occurred to me that AV might actually be done here, the first replacement coach that instantly came to mind was Boucher. Pay no attention to his firing this year. The guy is a great coach and his goaltending solely cost him his job almost just as much as Vigneault's goaltending saved his.

Guy Boucher is a vocal coach who runs a solid defensive system that also allows his offensive stars to flourish. Please, Gillis, hire Boucher!

Allows offensive stars to flourish but puts alot of pressure on the D/Goalies just like Vigneault.. But with that Tampa D I don't know if it was just them having no talent and collapsing or the system was flawed.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
They are perennial chokers. If anyone is going to blow a 3-0 series lead, it's the Sharks.

The series has been a lot closer than the 3-0 series lead has indicated. I think the Canucks can extend this series, but it all starts with next game. They've got to take it one game at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad