Pre-Game Talk: GM 4: Vancouver Canucks @ San Jose Sharks - May 7 - 7:00PM PST - TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Fact is everyone hates the Canucks outside of Canuck fans. Nothing pleases other fanbases more than to see this one suffer. Add to all that - the Canucks are playing some of their worst hockey in years. They can't win in the playoffs anymore. Outside of 2011, this team is a perennial choker......and even then, in 2011, they should have won it all and choked it away. Easy target.

easy to pile on at the moment, not surprising

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
What exactly did he say that was incorrect? The team played like ****, what do you expect him to say? "Oh the Canucks played well but just didn't quite win." No, I'm sorry. Ron McLean isn't a blind Canucks fanboy like a lot of people, and he shouldn't be. There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy and thinking the best of the team all the time. Hell John Garrett is probably a prime example of this. But what McLean said was accurate and I didn't find anything wrong with it.

He did the same thing for game 2. Only showed Sharks goals and completely ignored the incredible game that Kesler had. FFS, we are a canadian team. I'm not a fanboy. I complain about this team all of the time. The entire universe does not hate the Canucks. They might think we are kinda of a joke right now, but Ron MacLean is such a giant ********* that is going on national television to rub it in.

There may be some Canucks fanboys and there may be some Luongo diehard fanboys, but I am neither. I am just sick of Ron MacLean. He thinks he's some hotshot.

Last edited:

yoss

May 25, 2011
What happens if we win tomorrow, and pull off the win on Thursday? Do we get excited again?

I will be somewhat excited if we push it to 7. No sooner than a game 7.

If we don't win game 4, then we have officially regressed from last year, which is really saying something because last year was disappointing in itself obviously.

The good thing at least is, if they do come back it will be an epic moment in Canucks franchise history.

Will be interesting to see what the officiating is like tomorrow, it can't possibly get much worse, right? Wait, no don't answer that.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't see all this 'lazy' or 'uninspired' or 'heartless' play by the Canucks. To me they've done everything AV has asked them to and more. It's not their fault if the coach's gameplan is just so bad that there are no results from it.

There's very few players on our team that I truly feel didn't step it up for the playoffs (Raymond, Bieksa, Ebbett).

You're not the only one... I said that effort was not an issue. But if it's directionless effort, results won't follow. This team has the "try", but it doesn't have the gameplan.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We're the Canucks. We never show up for an entire game. We can still win though.

Yeah, we can still win coasting for half a game against the likes of the Nashville Predators and Colorado Avalanche. But in the playoffs we most certainly cannot. Our effort level is disgusting.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yeah, we can still win coasting for half a game against the likes of the Nashville Predators and Colorado Avalanche. But in the playoffs we most certainly cannot. Our effort level is disgusting.

Yup, every time a team loses it's due to a lack of effort. :shakehead

The Canucks came out strong in game 2 and 3, took a couple deflating penalties and kill themselves on the PK. They have matched the Sharks 5 on 5 but have taken 3 times as many penalties and can't kill them off.

Effort level is the least of the Canucks worries, again. Discipline however hasn't been addressed for 4+ years now.

The next player that takes a stupid, unnecessary roughing/slashing penalty should be sent to the dressing room. Far too many selfish, undisciplined penalties to beat a team with a lethal PP.

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
Yup, every time a team loses it's due to a lack of effort. :shakehead

The Canucks came out strong in game 2 and 3, took a couple deflating penalties and kill themselves on the PK. They have matched the Sharks 5 on 5 but have taken 3 times as many penalties and can't kill them off.

Effort level is the least of the Canucks worries, again. Discipline however hasn't been addressed for 4+ years now.

The next player that takes a stupid, unnecessary roughing/slashing penalty should be sent to the dressing room. Far too many selfish, undisciplined penalties to beat a team with a lethal PP.

I don't buy this. Take away all the Sharks' PP goals and the Canucks are still barely scraping by. They aren't good enough, admit it. If the Canucks' issue was really only discipline they'd still be scoring more and in a position to win games, not clawing and scratching for a goal or two.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I don't buy this. Take away all the Sharks' PP goals and the Canucks are still barely scraping by. They aren't good enough, admit it. If the Canucks' issue was really only discipline they'd still be scoring more and in a position to win games, not clawing and scratching for a goal or two.

Their offense has been a problem as well but it's not because they're not trying.

If effort is the issue, you don't see teams hit everything that moves. Nothing in hockey takes more effort than hitting.

And it's not just the Sharks PP goals. If you want to score more, don't spend 20% of the game shorthanded.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What happens if we win tomorrow, and pull off the win on Thursday? Do we get excited again?

I'd be happy that this core and team is showing some heart and pride if they won a few games. Give me something positive to look to instead of thinking this core is a deadbeat.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Where the **** is Higgins?? Second year in a row he has looked so consistently good in the season, then falls off the map in the playoffs. The effort is there, but he doesn't win battles, doesn't get good chances, misses the net by a mile. He's just a guy to skate while our other players rest.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I'd be happy that this core and team is showing some heart and pride if they won a few games. Give me something positive to look to instead of thinking this core is a deadbeat.

Winning the next two games is still too small of a sample size to erase the past 12-14 months of the uninspired hockey they've played though.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Winning the next two games is still too small of a sample size to erase the past 12-14 months of the uninspired hockey they've played though.

I agree, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing some fight from this team. Any little bit, I'll take. It's been the same old same old for two seasons now, so it doesn't erase what's happened in that time, but show me you have some pride as a team.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Where the **** is Higgins?? Second year in a row he has looked so consistently good in the season, then falls off the map in the playoffs. The effort is there, but he doesn't win battles, doesn't get good chances, misses the net by a mile. He's just a guy to skate while our other players rest.

It's really strange. He plays in the regular season like he should be a good playoff guy, but has really been the opposite in his time here.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Ever since the Boston series loss, the Canucks have approached every playoff game as if they were playing a dirty team like Boston again, in round 4 of the playoffs, where the refs hardly call anything...

They don't seem to grasp, they are in round 1... They can still approach the games as if hard fought regular season games... It is not yet no-holds-barred... The refs will call penalties, in round 1...

The message should be simple... Approach the game as if you are playing Boston or Chicago in the regular season...

We understand, Henrik Sedin, you and your brother won't get pushed around in the playoffs again... Now go do your Sedin magic, and keep "Dirty Sedin" under wraps until the later rounds! Pull out your whips and chains after the kids go to sleep... (yes, I realize the chance for a later round is real slim this year)... You don't pull out your hardcore toys at a PG-13 party... It's just not appropriate... You will get punished...

I think the cup run hurt the Canucks these last two playoffs... The team is being proactive and reactive to an imaginary monster... There is no evil coming from the cracks of the room to fight! Yes, it was there as a child, but it is long gone... It is round 1, 2 years later... This team needs a psychologist or hypnotist more than anything... erase those bloody scars to become productive again (we understand, you were victims, the Bruins went hardcore, and those who are supposed to protect you, let it happen)... No wonder Thorton and Couture are embellishing... I don't blame them... The Canucks are making it too easy... They're bringing a switch blade to a pillow fight... San Jose is not the Boston Bruins... San Jose is not that long gone monster... The playground, for hardcore play, is not yet here... It is still light outside...

The Canucks are spending too much time trying to fight an imaginary monster that doesn't exist, and spending too little time doing the things they need to do to beat a damn good team like the San Jose Sharks... One game at a time... If the Canucks play "clean", "hard", and "skate miles", SJ will take penalties... The refs will call penalties... The Canucks can win 4 in a row (not impossible), because the Canucks can win 4 in a row in the regular season... when on a hot streak... Given SJ can be persuaded to fight their own imaginary monsters ("chokers"), and given that it's round 1, and given the Canucks haven't shown nearly what they are capable of... I personally don't write them off completely... Yes, it's probably dead... But until there is no breath left, there is still life...

And when there's life, there's hope...

Go Canucks! Expose those Sharks for what they really are (c'mon Henrik, couldn't you have said something like that to go along with the on-ice "dirty Sedin" routine!)...

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Yup. And the answer for me is that I would be excited, too - I'll always cheer for this team to win. I loathe the idea of rooting for a loss to see us improve that way, either by firing personnel or getting better draft picks or what have you. In my ideal world, the team rights the ship, comes back, wins the series, and goes on a long run. Not realistic, for sure, but ideal.

If they lose, then they lose, and I'll look forward to the changes to come and discuss those as they happen. But I'll still be cheering for the team to win/get better, and be excited one way or another.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yup. And the answer for me is that I would be excited, too - I'll always cheer for this team to win. I loathe the idea of rooting for a loss to see us improve that way, either by firing personnel or getting better draft picks or what have you. In my ideal world, the team rights the ship, comes back, wins the series, and goes on a long run. Not realistic, for sure, but ideal.

If they lose, then they lose, and I'll look forward to the changes to come and discuss those as they happen. But I'll still be cheering for the team to win/get better, and be excited one way or another.

I hope they win games too, I believe it's best to just have SJ beat us so we can start focusing on changing things, but I want the team to win more than anything, I would never cheer for them to lose games. All I ask from them, is to show some heart, pride, passion, fire or whatever word you want to use, just show me you (the players) care. I'd rather lose in four straight games by putting the best effort forth, rather than not giving two cares at all and winning a few games.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I blame these awful playoff avatars two years in a row, its getting us nowhere! :sarcasm:

Jokes aside, I except to lose tomorrow but if they win..i'll be shocked and amazed this lazy sacks of **** can pull it off.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I just made this gif after listening to the bieksa comments.

1e73o.gif

Clear as day dive

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I just made this gif after listening to the bieksa comments.

1e73o.gif

Clear as day dive

ahahaha...wow...that's worse than kesler's dive from last year that went viral. But not a word will be mentioned of this one because it's not a canuck.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
ahahaha...wow...that's worse than kesler's dive from last year that went viral. But not a word will be mentioned of this one because it's not a canuck.

It's a lose-lose situation. If we bring it up, we are hypocritical jackasses and why would Henrik even do that in the first place and if we don't it's a dirty play by Henrik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad