GDT: GM 4: F @ W @ 4pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
They're all saying the right things. So thats a good sign. Oshie said something similar, that game 3 means nothing if you don't understand how hard the Cats are going to come at us in game 4.

Re Ovie throw hitting to start game 3 .. Oshie paraphrased said "if you see him hitting out there you know you gotta step it up and throw some hits"

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Fitting scenario would be Florida winning this one easily, so i hope good guys prove me wrong again, and then again and at the end of a series i will admit i was terribly wrong about this matchup

Reactions: Neil Racki

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Eric was smitten with George's wife (and we all got "Layla" because of it), eventually stole her, and George - being George - forgave him and they stayed friends (see below). I think EC's a better rock player - especially where he's collaborating with others, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes, George - and prefer it over his blues stuff, which I find a bit mechanical and tedious. As for Eric's views on social issues, well he's a better blues player.

"Their friendship is largely impressive not because they found a kindred spirit in one another — when you think about it, the two men’s lives were fairly aligned — but because they managed to survive one incident that would have sent most friendships down the pan. In the late 1960s, Clapton and Harrison had become close friends and began writing and recording music together. During the rise of the rock and roll era, there was one woman who caught the eyes and trapped the hearts of the two legendary music icons: Pattie Boyd. Harrison married Boyd in 1966 but Clapton was utterly captivated by her.

"In an effort to satisfy his infatuation, Clapton briefly dated Boyd’s sister, Paula. His 1970 album with Derek and the Dominos, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, was written to proclaim his love for Boyd, particularly the hit song ‘Layla’. Clapton drew inspiration from The Story of Layla and Majnun by Persian writer Nizami, a tale based on a story about the seventh-century Nejdi Bedouin poet Qays ibn Al-Mulawwah and his lover Layla bint Mahdi, focusing on a man driven to madness by his unattainable love.

"Before the marriage of Boyd and Harrison collapsed, she continuously refused Clapton’s courtship, it was rumoured that the rejection drove Clapton into heroin addiction and self-imposed exile for three years. Once overcoming his addiction in 1974, Clapton again pursued Boyd, who now agreed to leave Harrison. She and Clapton were married in 1979 and they remained relentlessly close with Harrison, who took to calling Clapton his “husband-in-law” in a comedic take that only he could make.

"Very rarely can we see a friendship that has seen so many ups and down survive for so many years. Not only in life but also in death, Harrison remained a good and close friend of Clapton. In November 2002, exactly a year after George’s death, Clapton decided to hold a tribute concert in his name, calling it the Concert For George."

Yea, but also - Harrison treated Boyd pretty terribly by the time she left him for EC. Clapton even when he got her was still very unhappy and became an insufferable drunk, and cheated on her a bunch.

ANYWAYS, I think Clapton as a guitar player is really overrated. He definitely was a big influence in bringing a lot of straight blues into lead rock guitar.

But overall, from that era, IMHO I’d take Jeff Beck, Hendrix and Page over him by a lot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yea, but also - Harrison treated Boyd pretty terribly by the time she left him for EC. Clapton even when he got her was still very unhappy and became an insufferable drunk, and cheated on her a bunch.

ANYWAYS, I think Clapton as a guitar player is really overrated. He definitely was a big influence in bringing a lot of straight blues into lead rock guitar.

But overall, from that era, IMHO I’d take Jeff Beck, Hendrix and Page over him by a lot.

He's extremely overrated for sure, but he does have some great songs in the 60s and 70s (along with some shitty ones). Clapton gets credit for bringing blues and reggae to white audiences mainly by being a gatekeeper appointed by the industry. Richie Blackmore and Tony Iommi should be at least as influential on rock, and Billy Gibbons had more pure bluesman legitimacy running through his veins than Clapton. Oh and let's not forget Jerry. ;) And Pete Townshend, ffs.

As a person though, Clapton has long been a dumpster fire. His recovery story is inspiring but that's about it. The rest is just another tale of an entitled Boomer asshole.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Bad juju? How can you say that about one of the top 5 greatest guitar players— ever (some have him #1, but I give that to Jimi, personally….while there are 2-3 others known for being “tops”).
Not even close. I wouldn't rate him in the top 100.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

And none of these players would be anything without my favorite:

Sister Rosetta Tharpe...the Godmother of RnR.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand:

The Caps need to Rock and/or Roll over the kitties tonight. 3-1 series lead is almost the deathnell of the frisky felines.

Reactions: zappa4ever

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
He's extremely overrated for sure, but he does have some great songs in the 60s and 70s (along with some shitty ones). Clapton gets credit for bringing blues and reggae to white audiences mainly by being a gatekeeper appointed by the industry. Richie Blackmore and Tony Iommi should be at least as influential on rock, and Billy Gibbons had more pure bluesman legitimacy running through his veins than Clapton. Oh and let's not forget Jerry. ;) And Pete Townshend, ffs.

As a person though, Clapton has long been a dumpster fire. His recovery story is inspiring but that's about it. The rest is just another tale of an entitled Boomer asshole.
Love it, I’d take all those guys over him. Townshend, Live at Leeds - some of the best rhythm playing ever.

Basically, John Mayer took over for EC as the friendly white guy bringing watered down blues to the masses.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

@usiel ???

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
To each his own I guess. I will agree that watching is live is night and day from watching it on TV Though. Such a different game. And when I’m there I end up watching a lot more of what is happening away from the puck. My favorite is watching the bench activity as I sit directly across from that. Can also see what happens on the blue line well.

enjoy your stats as well although I need to see the game for visual fact checking. Carry on!

Dude, he/she's joking. Its gone on long enough I am am putting a stop to it as the official fun police on this forum.

Some guys accused Twabs of not watching the games and only reading the fancy stats to make his analysis. Twabby ran with the accusation as an inside joke to those who were unfortunate enough to read the endless battles of opinion between certain posters.

Sorry Twabby, I could not let a handful of good folks live in ignorance, thinking you don't really watch the games.

Wait, now I'm not even sure, do you actually watch them @twabby ? :huh:

so this is what it takes for us to go pages deep before puck drop, huh?

A little hope goes a long way.

Would not mind if the Cats beat us 7-2 like every other series is going, alternating blowouts. This place is a little too cheery for me right now.

Can I just say formally how much I hate the auto merge feature on this new thing? Can I turn it off?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Dude, he/she's joking. Its gone on long enough I am am putting a stop to it as the official fun police on this forum.

Some guys accused Twabs of not watching the games and only reading the fancy stats to make his analysis. Twabby ran with the accusation as an inside joke to those who were unfortunate enough to read the endless battles of opinion between certain posters.

Sorry Twabby, I could not let a handful of good folks live in ignorance, thinking you don't really watch the games.

Would not mind if the Cats beat us 7-2 like every other series is going, alternating blowouts. This place is a little too cheery for me right now.

Can I just say formally how much I hate the auto merge feature on this new thing? Can I turn it off?
I actually think it's the best thing about the whole upgrade. Now I don't need to multiquote and nobody else did anyway, so triple posting just doesn't exist.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Clapton was my 1st "Big" concert at Cap Ctr 4-23-1985 at 14 y.o., loved him for what he was in the 60's thru 80's, after that, moved on to so many others...

SRV + Jeff Beck Cap Ctr 11-6-1989 still stands as a highlight of seeing Guitar Gods
but for me Jimi is always top of the list
and the list could go on forever, local boys Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman, David Gilmour, Derek Trucks, Santana, John McLaughlin, Jimmy Herring, Guthrie Govan, Tommy Emmanuel, Steve Morse, Steve Vai, John Scofield, Jerry Garcia, Trey Anastasio, Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, Tony Rice, Bryan Sutton; so many flavors and styles of players out there, couldn't narrow it down if I tried and thankfully don't have to :)

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I actually think it's the best thing about the whole upgrade. Now I don't need to multiquote and nobody else did anyway, so triple posting just doesn't exist.
Clapton was my 1st "Big" concert at Cap Ctr 4-23-1985 at 14 y.o., loved him for what he was in the 60's thru 80's, after that, moved on to so many others...

SRV + Jeff Beck Cap Ctr 11-6-1989 still stands as a highlight of seeing Guitar Gods
but for me Jimi is always top of the list
and the list could go on forever, local boys Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman, David Gilmour, Derek Trucks, Santana, John McLaughlin, Jimmy Herring, Guthrie Govan, Tommy Emmanuel, Steve Morse, Steve Vai, John Scofield, Jerry Garcia, Trey Anastasio, Marc Ribot, Bill Frisell, Tony Rice, Bryan Sutton; so many flavors and styles of players out there, couldn't narrow it down if I tried and thankfully don't have to :)
That's probably mine but really it's like comparing souls. How do you quantify the "best" soul?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
That's probably mine but really it's like comparing souls. How do you quantify the "best" soul?
Exactly, best thing about music is there's always something new to discover (or old to discover), musical universe is humongous big ;)

Just like food or TV, you might have a favorite or what you think is the best, but you're not eating or watching only that 1 thing everyday

Got turned on to Tommy Emmanuel about 10 years ago just flipping thru TV and he was on PBS and :shocked face: he was ripping thru tunes on the Acoustic like butter, Beatles medley/Classical Gas/Nine Pound Hammer etc., loved him since moment one

oh and Hockey Related: LGC!

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Exactly, best thing about music is there's always something new to discover (or old to discover), musical universe is humongous big ;)

Just like food or TV, you might have a favorite or what you think is the best, but you're not eating or watching only that 1 thing everyday

Got turned on to Tommy Emmanuel about 10 years ago just flipping thru TV and he was on PBS and :shocked face: he was ripping thru tunes on the Acoustic like butter, Beatles medley/Classical Gas/Nine Pound Hammer etc., loved him since moment one

oh and Hockey Related: LGC!
that was the one that sealed it for me

all of his fingers are out on their own business and don't have anything to do with one another, and to do it as often and as well as he does is just exceptional. He's got his pinky out like 3-4 frets away while his thumb is pinned to E and everything's still so clean, he doesn't bend his whole body just to hit certain notes he just does it, and he uses the whole instrument even for its percussion and weird neck-bendy shit in a way I really like

yada yada hockey's great isn't it

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This gdt blows

nelson-armpit-fart.gif

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Heh, was never a Clapton fan guitar-wise. For me probably Page and Hendrix at the top (talking that era specifically in the 70s) then next tier down (no particular order) Gilmour, Allman, Lifeson, Blackmore, Iommi (fathered the metal sound). Next tier probably Richards and Buckingham and that is a bit where I get really meh. Van Halen I consider 80s so don't count him.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2