Post-Game Talk: GM 4: Canucks @ Sharks - Bye, Bye AV

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Him and Kesler.

It makes no sense to me that they get kesler back and have garrison ready to go and they instead stick Burrows with the Sedins, Kesler on the point, and Edler as the dman.

Why not go back to what worked before with Sedin/Sedin/Kesler and then add Garrison on the point.

coach is ****ing dumbb. garry should have been on the first unit. even though he had a slow start in the beginning.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Its to bad corrado and tanev both play right, that would be one hell of a shutdown team one day.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Last time around for this

I thought a good effort but undone by terrible goal tending and very one-sided officiating. Overall in the series we were undone by poor coaching, poor forward play and a pitiful pk. You can talk about poor down low play by the defense but a lot of that had to do with abysmal work by the forwards.

The Good

Burrows - another heart and soul effort. When the chips are down and he is usually the go to guy.

Bieksa - sure it wasn't perfect but he made some outstanding plays to break up scoring chances. Gave everything he had and was a monster in his own end. Provided very good leadership IMO. I thought he was our best defenseman

Corrado - I think there might be a tendency to over-praise Corrado b/c it seems like you are looking for something to be positive about. Often people seem to get carried away with newer player since it gives more of sense of hope (and Lord knows we often need more of that). But I think in this game Corrado again showed very well. His mobility and range are excellent . Covered back very well when his partner pinched or forced the play and seems to deal with the Shark size very well. Even against players like Thornton and Couture he was up to handling them. If anything positive came out to of the playoffs it is Corrado.

The Bad

Kesler - obviously not at full speed but he was pretty tragic in all areas of the game. Weak on the pk, no offensive pressure and bad on the face offs. Not having a healthy Kesler was a killer in this playoff.

Schneider - very weak effort. Could see from the beginning that he was pulling himself way out of position and leaving tons of net open. Fumbled with shots and the last goal was horrible. Not ready to play and we can thank AV for that.

Other Thoughts

AV continued to prove that he is a bit of block head. Starting Schneider made no sense. To me, it was entirely stupid. Everyone was saying it had to be Luongo so AV, I think to prove he was smarter than others, went with the overly clever choice. Seems to me, that often not very bright people do this to impress others. As it was it turned into disaster. AV's explanation that Schneider was the team's MVP was ridiculous. This was about looking at the immediate circumstances and what the team needed to do to win right now. It was not about letting a player play because he had had a good regular season. The decision to play Schneider will rank right up there with any blunder by any coach in team history.

In addition, you have to ask why, when it was obvious from the start that Schneider was struggling, AV never brought in Luongo. Maybe he didn't want to acknowledge a mistake and put his own ego ahead of what was best for the team.

Also, the PK had to be changed up. Kesler could not cover his lane or force the play (or win a face-off). Throughout the season the Canucks had had a relatively decent PK without Kesler so with Kesler clearly struggling why not go back to that. However, no matter how bad the PK was, AV continued to use the same formations and personal that weren't working.

Moreover, throughout the playoffs the Canucks were in a reactive role. The Sharks went in with a plan to defeat the Canucks (especially with regard to special teams and drawing penalties) and the Canucks tried to react to it. I did not see any plan by the Canucks to exploit the weaker aspects of the Sharks.

You don't want to cry conspiracy (because the answer is likely just incompetence) but the reffing was by any objective analysis so favorable to the Sharks as to justify speculation in that direction. We have been on the short end of this for awhile and you wonder if all the anti-Canuck talk has an effect.

Total lack of 4th line again evident. Been searching for 4th line for years and can never develop one. That's on Gills and co. Maybe a lot of this is.

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
You mean Dagger? His girlfriend Dagger who said doo doo doo da dooo doo, etc.

( ._.) Do you get the joke yet.

Maybe her first name was Chelsea?
No?

I didn't hear his girlfriend's name so that's how I missed the joke obviously.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Its to bad corrado and tanev both play right, that would be one hell of a shutdown team one day.

We need them on separate pairings, they're going to babysit Edler, Bieksa and whoever else we sign/trade for that plays braindead defense. :laugh:

dps

Nov 30, 2011
Roy didn't give two ****s about this team. He was already looking forward to Free Agent Frenzy from the moment he suited up.

The team didn't give a **** about the team! It's not like there was an abundance of heart and effort floating around for him to join in on and the offense he was suppose to bring was completely nuetered by AVs system and lop sided reffing just like the rest of our scorers.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Where were you when Kassian was hitting, making plays, playing strong, wining puck battles? Oh, I forgot we don't mention when he plays good. My mistake.

He contributed nothing at all, winning puck battles and controlling the puck on the outside... led to NOTHING. He's behind the play, his hits suck they're weak and horribly timed and yeah wow can't believe you'd defend a guy that didn't have a positive impact at all.

Two years in a row he's looked useless out there in the playoffs this guy is Steve Bernier but maybe worse. Just like I said at the start of the year.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
The Bad

Kesler - obviously not at full speed but he was pretty tragic in all areas of the game. Weak on the pk, no offensive pressure and bad on the face offs. Not having a healthy Kesler was a killer in this playoff.

He was healthy... If not: :help:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He contributed nothing at all, winning puck battles and controlling the puck on the outside... led to NOTHING. He's behind the play, his hits suck they're weak and horribly timed and yeah wow can't believe you'd defend a guy that didn't have a positive impact at all.

Two years in a row he's looked useless out there in the playoffs this guy is Steve Bernier but maybe worse. Just like I said at the start of the year.

Yup, an under-developed 22 year old player should be expected to make an impact every shift, you're right. He is already 22 years old, I mean, why is he not like David Backes yet?

I can be ridiculous too.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012

Pretty sure you are in the minority here.

I think most would agree that Kassian was one of our better forwards in this series.

Will be excited to see what he can do with a new head coach and another year of development.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Good. Gillis is a great GM, people are stupid if they think otherwise. Has he made some bad moves? Sure, now show me some active GMs that haven't. The way Gillis has formed the Canucks organization is outstanding, he hasn't had enough time to see his efforts come to full light. So far he's proven to be excellent at re-signing players, fairly proficient at free agent signings, a bit out there in drafting but overall he's done fairly well, and his trades have been average but seemed great at time of action. Gillis is NOT the problem, he is the solution if anything. Let him continue his plan. The fact that fans even want to get rid of Gillis just seems so hypocritical and so short sighted, I can see why other fan bases ridicule us.

Pretty much.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I can't put to words how mismanaged this team was from top to bottom this season.

Without changes, it's going to be hard to be all in as a fan. Been watching game 1-82 + the post season since the end of the Mark Messier era, and having been through 2 lock-outs, kind of leaves me questioning, what's the point?

Not a fan of where the new new NHL is going.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
The disdain for Gillis is credited though. Building a strong core going forward is important, but wanting results now, and realizing that the Sedin's give us the best option to win, not filling the glaring needs is a big red flag. He had time to fill Manny's role on the third line, didn't manage to do it. The Luongo/Schneider debacle went down as poorly as anybody could have pictured. The bottom 6 was in shambles all season. Ehrhoff/Torres are two more things he fumbled.

Firing him would be idiotic, but the blame is his to share.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad