Post-Game Talk: GM 3 Caps vs Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Let’s go back to scoring goals, not breaking faces
We might have to prevent some goals too. Aren't going to win many games in the playoffs giving up 5 goals.
We dont seem to have a defensive system. Holtby is our defense.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
14 total shots? Pretty sure ovies done that by himself in a game. Hopefully its a wake up call... even tho they won games 1 and 2... i wouldnt say they played their best hockey
Our goal scorers this series are Backstrom Ovechkin Oshie Wilson and orpik...we need the supporting cast to step up. That’s why we won the cup last year.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We need lineup changes. Last time we saw DJoos getting worked we got Jensen. 4 is invisible. I saw Stephenson but it was more like a shove. Bura has nothing. 3 looks lost.

I suspect Todd was waiting for a loss to sit Djoos.

Last edited:
Reactions: shtorm2005

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We might have to prevent some goals too. Aren't going to win many games in the playoffs giving up 5 goals.
We dont seem to have a defensive system. Holtby is our defense.
Before today they’d given up 2 and 3. It’s not as if they gave up 5 a game. Today was a complete shitshow and it’s clear they haven’t brought their A game yet this series. But let’s not just go making stuff up.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
The Caps had a chip on their shoulder all year last playoffs away from home. It's very disturbing to see them play this badly in game 3.

They need to get that chip back Thursday. The last thing you wanted to do is give Carolina hope and make them believe. You can give them one game. This is a whole different series if they win Thursday. The momentum is completely gone. You cannot let that happen.

Thursday is essentially a must win game. on Thursday, you need to come out with force. Remind them who the Champions are. Remind them who the favorites are. Remember what they did to you today and exact your revenge. Make them pay for doing this.
It's not a must win until game 7. But yeh would rather not do that r1

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
what the hell was Svech doing playing tough guy with Ovi. Early in the fight Ovi was shaking him and you could just see how much stronger Ovi was. I wonder if Ovi had practiced his fighting technique. Alan May was surprised he wasn't working his left, so maybe he has been practicing throwing righty at the gym.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
The last thing you wanted to do is give Carolina hope and make them believe. You can give them one game. This is a whole different series if they win Thursday.
Canes definitely have hope again. And there’s no reason to believe Thursday won’t be right back to razor-close game again or even OT, and then you’re a bounce away from a tied series.

Actually razor-close would be a dramatic improvement. I hope it’s close.

It is what it is. We squandered a chance to take a stranglehold on the series. Don’t make same mistake Thursday. Put your best guys out there and demand their best from them, including 92.

Last edited:

Sword

May 26, 2014
It's time

giphy.gif

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
what the hell was Svech doing playing tough guy with Ovi. Early in the fight Ovi was shaking him and you could just see how much stronger Ovi was. I wonder if Ovi had practiced his fighting technique. Alan May was surprised he wasn't working his left, so maybe he has been practicing throwing righty at the gym.
Smart not to hurt his shooting hand

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Honestly I think Ovie was really upset about that. He doesn’t want to kill a kid, and a young Russian at that. He was shook, I think, and the team follows its leader.

Imo, Ovi probably shouldn't have fight with Svechnikov. Since he doesn't fight often, that incident was probably very emotionnal to him and didn't help to focus on the game.

Flipping channels after the loss, but caught a bit of Ovie post-game. He seemed really shook about the fight and its result. I think that took a bit out of him and, by extension, his 'mates. Doesn't excuse their crappy defense, but whoever suggested it (Capsman?) may have identified one reason why the early Caps' dominance flipped.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
How about Bura on 3, and Hags on 4 / PK / late game defense etc. Is it too early to be calling for DSP? 4 is just too easy to play against. Are other teams as soft as our 4, or is our 4 THE softest in the NHL.

I think the canes are a bad matchup for DJoos. I look at their roster and outside of ahole they are big. He is simply built for the smaller faster teams. Even so, he needs to aggressively engage and battle. He is just hanging out nearby and not assertive at all, and is useless when the puck comes his way.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Flipping channels after the loss, but caught a bit of Ovie post-game. He seemed really shook about the fight and its result. I think that took a bit out of him and, by extension, his 'mates. Doesn't excuse their crappy defense, but whoever suggested it (Capsman?) may have identified one reason why the early Caps' dominance flipped.
It doesn’t excuse but it may explain. They were taking it to Carolina early and they got totally derailed. It wasn’t so much that the Canes were motivated by the fight as that the Caps were rattled by it. Regroup and win the next one.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Djoos sitting should have happened before this one if Reirden & Co. were at the top of their game. Loading up the top three D TOI for what? So that eventually, maybe, Djoos reverts to last year's form where he pitches in another two to four minutes of okay ES-only play? Is that the risk/reward process that this year's team needs to be successful? They may not have total faith in Siegenthaler being entirely ready but surely someone should be able to provide a steadier, more sound #6 option in part so that the top three D are more fresh. The first tenet of quality coaching is not boxing yourself in, not being stubborn and seeing what's right in front of your face. They're not particularly geared for a deep run as yet and I don't know that the staff has the feel for it. Losing Kempny makes for an easy excuse in some respects but rings pretty hollow overall. Their overall adjustments since have been very unconvincing.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad