Post-Game Talk: GM 3 Caps vs Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I came into this series expecting 6 games which means CAR will win again.

I don’t care about the wild card designation. They’re a good team. A lot of analytical models had this as a coin flip going in. This series isn’t over no matter who wins Thursday.

Reactions: Heath and Sam Spade

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think Carolina is onto something. From pushing things to the outside and cutting off clears along the boards, to concentrating themselves in the center on defense, to their PK structure (they’re kind of playing the hockey version of UVA’s pack line defense). We don’t suddenly suck, but we are extremely slow to adjust.

Ok....I am good with that. I can get tickets to root for the Canes against he Islanders then.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Flames getting blown out by a not that great avs team
Apparently regular season isn't a credible "great team" benchmark anymore, when the lowest seed teams dismantle conference champions in playoffs.

Regular season: Tampa vs Columbus 3-0 (goals 17-3!!), and Calgary vs Colorado 3-0 (goals 14-10). By the same token, we can throw out our regular season success against the 'Canes.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Apparently regular season isn't a credible "great team" benchmark anymore, when the lowest seed teams dismantle conference champions in playoffs.

Regular season: Tampa vs Columbus 3-0 (goals 17-3!!), and Calgary vs Colorado 3-0 (goals 14-10). By the same token, we can throw out our regular season success against the 'Canes.
Are we losing the series already?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I know a lot of people are crapping on Todd right now. But if you listened to Isabell on the junkies this morning his kid really sick and is been in the hospital. Still no excuse for being outcoached but he probably is not having time to study game tape nonstop
His kid has been sick all of his life, he has a genetic disorder, she wrote a piece about it last week. The family talked about how they're very used to him having to spend time in the hospital.

I also don't think he was out coached here. This is game 3 against a team that was down 0-2 and is coming back home. I half expected the doors to get blown off.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I truly didn’t want him replaced by a rookie until now. He’s been a liability in this series and it needs to stop somehow.
I agree, he likely will be scratched.

That first goal is on him and that's not a play he makes last year. He's either shot in the confidence department right now or hurting. Sign him to a friendly RFA deal this summer, get him going for next season, bring Sieg in now.

Reactions: calicapsfan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Very interested to see the adjustments in Game 4. I imagine some new faces will be in the lineup but they need more than that. Carolina was outskating them all night but they also supported their defensemen in transition instead of just hoping for the stretch pass like Washington did all night.

The defensive situation is untenable as is. Not only the Djoos situation but having Carlson playing his left side (or going back and forth between left and right). I think they need to explore breaking up 9-2 and going with 9-74 and riding them at ES.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Very interested to see the adjustments in Game 4. I imagine some new faces will be in the lineup but they need more than that. Carolina was outskating them all night but they also supported their defensemen in transition instead of just hoping for the stretch pass like Washington did all night.

The defensive situation is untenable as is. Not only the Djoos situation but having Carlson playing his left side (or going back and forth between left and right). I think they need to explore breaking up 9-2 and going with 9-74 and riding them at ES.
Orlov - Carlson is bad pairing. It doesn’t play to either guy’s strengths. It may be the only solution but I think it only serves to undermine the one reliable pairing they have right now.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Honestly the D is a big concern no matter what happens in the series. I think it may need a bit of a facelift soon.

I’m hoping we can get by with a little bit of masking tape this Spring

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Honestly the D is a big concern no matter what happens in the series. I think it may need a bit of a facelift soon.

I’m hoping we can get by with a little bit of masking tape this Spring

We can't have Djoos playing 5-8 minutes a night. That is not sustainable. Djoos is effective when he is moving the puck and playing carefree. That is the opposite of what he is doing this series. So sit him and put in Siegs.

Reactions: Drakon

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
The Canes announcer is a moron. Claiming Svetchnekov’s injury was in the fall and from OV’s last l’punch as he was falling. OV actually lightened the kid’s fall and pulled back on the last punch . Kid was wobbly and out before he started falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->