Post-Game Talk: GM 3 Caps vs Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah but dude. That was atrocious, this wasn’t even close. Our PP is non existent as well.
I don’t get what’s up with the PP right now. Earlier this season they couldn’t get in the zone. Now they are getting entries and time, but they aren’t getting shots. I still suspect that the problem is the lack of a threat from Kuz, but who knows.

Reactions: Blades of Steel

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It's time

giphy.gif
The Harrisburg airport has direct flights to Charlotte. Could be there tomorrow morning

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I know a lot of people are crapping on Todd right now. But if you listened to Isabell on the junkies this morning his kid really sick and is been in the hospital. Still no excuse for being outcoached but he probably is not having time to study game tape nonstop

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
You win or you lose. They count the same. Play great and lose is worse then being off your game and throw a clinker. Unless....you suddenly think they suck

No, I just haven’t seen a thing in this series that makes me confident about this team at all yet. This play will not cut it and we are actually (IMO) lucky to be up in this series at all.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Djoos sitting should have happened before this one if Reirden & Co. were at the top of their game. Loading up the top three D TOI for what? So that eventually, maybe, Djoos reverts to last year's form where he pitches in another two to four minutes of okay ES-only play? Is that the risk/reward process that this year's team needs to be successful? They may not have total faith in Siegenthaler being entirely ready but surely someone should be able to provide a steadier, more sound #6 option in part so that the top three D are more fresh. The first tenet of quality coaching is not boxing yourself in, not being stubborn and seeing what's right in front of your face. They're not particularly geared for a deep run as yet and I don't know that the staff has the feel for it. Losing Kempny makes for an easy excuse in some respects but rings pretty hollow overall. Their overall adjustments since have been very unconvincing.
I agree Djoos needs to sit, but there other options have zero playoff experience or zero NHL experience. They’ve been trying to find the right mix since Kemp’s went down but until the playoffs they also didn’t have cap space to test out the kids. So I can see why they’d view throwing a rook in against this speedy Canes forwards as a last resort. We’re there now, but I don’t agree that it was the best option before tonight.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I don’t get what’s up with the PP right now. Earlier this season they couldn’t get in the zone. Now they are getting entries and time, but they aren’t getting shots. I still suspect that the problem is the lack of a threat from Kuz, but who knows.

Canes are pressuring our PP and our passing has been off all together. They just aren’t sharp.

Reactions: tenken00

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This next game is going to reveal a whole lot about the Caps. I haven’t seen the level of play that they need to go deep. Let’s see if something clicks after tonight’s ass kicking.
I think the loss of Kempny has really created some systemic problems and they don’t seem to have a guy who can step in well to make the pairings work. They need to try Siegs but I would even consider another big Hershey kid. On the plus side, Jensen seems to be adapting to playoff hockey.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
You win or you lose. They count the same. Play great and lose is worse then being off your game and throw a clinker. Unless....you suddenly think they suck
I think Carolina is onto something. From pushing things to the outside and cutting off clears along the boards, to concentrating themselves in the center on defense, to their PK structure (they’re kind of playing the hockey version of UVA’s pack line defense). We don’t suddenly suck, but we are extremely slow to adjust.

Reactions: Firsov99

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think Carolina is onto something. From pushing things to the outside and cutting off clears along the boards, to concentrating themselves in the center on defense, to their PK structure (they’re kind of playing the hockey version of UVA’s pack line defense). We don’t suddenly suck, but we are extremely slow to adjust.
This I agree with. But I also think the Caps were playing very well to start this game and we’re disrupting the Canes’ system. Then after the fight they lost their push.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Canes are pressuring our PP and our passing has been off all together. They just aren’t sharp.

Whether even strength or on PP, Caps do not seem to do well when their puck carrier is pressured. When teams use 2 players to attack our guy with the puck, we often don't have an answer. And in general, slow decisionmaking and inaccurate passing have been hallmarks of our puck possession. A team on the PK usually finds the risk to be acceptable of sending 2 guys on the Cap puck carrier and leaving the other 2 to defend against our 4. Sometimes the Caps score but more often than not they turn the puck over.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think the loss of Kempny has really created some systemic problems and they don’t seem to have a guy who can step in well to make the pairings work. They need to try Siegs but I would even consider another big Hershey kid. On the plus side, Jensen seems to be adapting to playoff hockey.
Everyone wants Djoos out for a rookie. But Djoos is playoff tested and I trust him more now. He’s clearly not a kempny replacement for the top pair but might have to split some of the easier minutes with Orpik

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Everyone wants Djoos out for a rookie. But Djoos is playoff tested and I trust him more now. He’s clearly not a kempny replacement for the top pair but might have to split some of the easier minutes with Orpik
I truly didn’t want him replaced by a rookie until now. He’s been a liability in this series and it needs to stop somehow.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I truly didn’t want him replaced by a rookie until now. He’s been a liability in this series and it needs to stop somehow.
And the fact that none of them practice with the caps in such a long time I find it hard to get plugged in to a high-pressure playoff game

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I know a lot of people are crapping on Todd right now. But if you listened to Isabell on the junkies this morning his kid really sick and is been in the hospital. Still no excuse for being outcoached but he probably is not having time to study game tape nonstop

Still don’t see how you can be 6-1 against a team ( 4-1 in the last month mind you) and that be considered “outcoached”

I get the 5v5 stuff but with that large a sample size, I feel you have to give him and the team some credit.

I thought after winning a Cup, We’d be able to compartmentalize losses better but guess not (not specifically talking to you btw)

I mean damn, Reirden must be a babbling idiot the way you guys talk

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Slow adjustment, or rather lack of adjustment, is a coaching issue. It's a serious concern already. Game 4 will be critical. If we get destroyed again, then it wouldn't bode well for our first round success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad