Post-Game Talk: [GM 24] Canucks lose to Panthers | 1-5 (Joshua)

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind? Oh.

There was at least one time during the game, canucks on the powerplay, puck passes Miller, he gives a lazy stick wave to try to get it, and then he drifts after the Florida player on a shorthanded break so slow he might as well have been going backwards.

Edit... hey there's video!

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I doubt Boudreau is gone before someone like Horvat, Boeser, Garland, Myers and Pearson are traded

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I doubt Boudreau is gone before someone like Horvat, Boeser, Garland, Myers and Pearson are traded

You're probably right, but that doesn't mean it's the right decision. The coach has made baffling roster decisions but it's clear the roster needs a major shakeup as well.

Reactions: Indiana

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
They had two coaches for this group already, what makes them think a third coach any different unless they've all suffered simultaneous blows to the head?
That isn’t the thinking management has at all here. Boudreau clearly isn’t the guy they want longterm. Has nothing to do with this core and past coaches.

Now will this management hire the right person? I have serious doubts.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
They can't be dense enough to truly think that Boudreau is the big issue here. Three coaches within the last 12 months if they fire Bruce tomorrow.

I agree that getting in "their guy" is the way to go but they better realize that this roster isn't another Ethan Bear away from being good.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
They can't be dense enough to truly think that Boudreau is the big issue here. Three coaches within the last 12 months if they fire Bruce tomorrow.
They don’t but he’s the easiest to get rid of right now, and a quick step to head into the direction they want to go in. Absolutely insane they have waited this long to do anything in regards to his future. It’s truly classless.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

I agree that getting in "their guy" is the way to go but they better realize that this roster isn't another Ethan Bear away from being good.
he's not the big issue but his coaching is an issue, and he is their only move because they have backed themselves into a corner.

they never had a plan b. this team was either going to hit and be 13th in the league or be stuck in purgatory with no flexibility.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
That isn’t the thinking management has at all here. Boudreau clearly isn’t the guy they want longterm. Has nothing to do with this core and past coaches.

Now will this management hire the right person? I have serious doubts.

That's fair. But if two coaches can't get jack shit out of this group of losers, they need to do more than just replacing the coach, WAY more.

Moleman threatened the team with waiver and consequences, and so far nothing's been done, no one is being held accountable, no one is taking responsibilities. All this management achieved so far, is showing everyone that they are a bunch of gutless p***yes who talks big but can't back anything up.

And if they continue what they are doing now, they will lose what's left of the respect from the players and fans.

EDIT: And of course I'm absolutely not excusing the coach's responsibility in this mess, Bruce's line up decisions lately have been highly questionable to say the least.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
what other than firing boudreau is even on the table? waiving stillman? that doesn't move the needle

horvat and kuzmenko -- if they are moved -- will have far more value at the deadline when teams are more certain in their position and their needs. garland, boeser, oel, myers and mikheyev all have significant money and term owed and will be tricky trades to pull off. hoglander and podkolzin could probably be moved but for what purpose? schenn is moveable too but that sends the wrong message

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I can't believe there are 6 teams worse than the Canucks. With Demko playing poor it's shocking the Canucks are even remotely close to the playoffs.
Bedard tank year, just wait to see some of these teams' rosters after the tdl when they trade away decent players to contenders and shut down any remaining half-decent players who have a nagging injury.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks getting on their January swoon ahead of schedule this year. Weren't nearly competitive in this game and lucky Demko was good early and Florida backed off or this could have been a lot worse. Team, at the moment, is pathetic and BB is as good as gone.

Good

No one on anything like a regular basis. However there were some worst than others. They included:

Schenn - looks like the air is coming out of the balloon. Way too slow. Should consider trading him while he has some worth.

Horvat - can look like a very old man at times - and those times are right now. Resigning him to some monstrous contract might be as bad as giving Boeser his big contract. Watching him get back to his feet on the one good chance he had on the PP n the third was an indication of how slowly he was moving about.

Boeser - given a chance to something and, as could have been predicted, did nothing and was shunted back down the lineup. Entirely useless player and Allvin should be embarrassed.

Garland - has faded away to nothing. Makes the OEL trade look even worse.

Stillman - has he given up? Might as well have . Play around his net (well really everywhere) is so bad. Our pro scouting sucks as harshly as they ever did.

Myers - Looking more and more confused in coverage. Stuck with the abysmal Stillman but puck is getting moved around him at will.

Lazar - not doing anything. Arriving late to the play most of the time and shows very little, if any, real skill. Line had a couple of decent shifts but that had so little to do with Lazar. At this point, I think our 4th line was better last year.

Dries - couldn't stay in the play - no surprise there.

Time to get real and recognize the team is toast. May have little runs here and there but the team, and especially the defense, is not good enough. Maybe we can finally accept the total renovation necessary and rebuild. Draft is good and time to start preparing for it is now. The idiocy of the Benning approach now must be obvious to all. (at least you hope so - although the stupidity of some runs very deep) If Rutherford and co. continue this, we are only in for more long term hurt. So move what you can, including Horvat, play the Stillmans and look to the future.

I guess we will get indication of this if Demko is out for any time. If they go out and get some stop gap fringe type, and give up some futures to do it, we'll see we are on the same path.

Note on the Benning legacy. Watching Forsling out there was true agony. He would clearly be the best Canuck d-man at this point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad