Post-Game Talk: [GM 24] Canucks lose to Panthers | 1-5 (Joshua)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
With him and suzuki Im glad to see more asians making it to the nhl.
Hope Asia catches more of this wonderful sport and start giving it the attention it deserves (and that doesnt include the canucks because they suck)

Why isn't anyone taking Kole Lind? Oh.

can you imagine? robertson would have been a god in this city

like ichiro meets paquiao meets linsanity

joe tsai would have godfathered the aqualinis and we’d finally be freeeeeeeeee

1669992797323.jpeg

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That whole sequence of three straight stretching saves is highly improbable with an injured hip.
You have to know what his past surgeries did. Grind down the socket for added movement essentially.
This sometimes requires a later "cleaning up" without long term recovery 10 weeks or so. His spring surgery and timing are right.

I posted that if had had issues and was taking pain killers they would wear off around the third period.
That his pads were not as spread or flat as last year, that his pushes to the left were not as powerful or getting as much distance.
He played through pain before his surgeries and likely was doing it again.

When he went down he grasped his hip area.

Now the team can call it many things because the hip will affect groins, ass muscles, hammys but he may have just had a bone spur get into the joint too.

The three saves in quick order were the end, I think the end actually started when Tkachuk was left in front of the net and tried to put the puck through the five hole causing him to contort and roll over at the same time.

Reactions: Foundational Player

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
that’s booth-esque

dear lord, i pray that you give me the strength to help me senselessly murder helpless animals for no good reason and overthrow the government

That quote from Miller drives me bonkers.

..."We should be embarrassed if we are accountable" The evidence is very strong JT that you, and many of your teammates, AREN'T holding yourselves accountable. And if the Garland scratch did cause issues you don't want the coaching staff to hold people accountable for poor performances either.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
You have to know what his past surgeries did. Grind down the socket for added movement essentially.
This sometimes requires a later "cleaning up" without long term recovery 10 weeks or so. His spring surgery and timing are right.

I posted that if had had issues and was taking pain killers they would wear off around the third period.
That his pads were not as spread or flat as last year, that his pushes to the left were not as powerful or getting as much distance.
He played through pain before his surgeries and likely was doing it again.

When he went down he grasped his hip area.

Now the team can call it many things because the hip will affect groins, ass muscles, hammys but he may have just had a bone spur get into the joint too.

The three saves in quick order were the end, I think the end actually started when Tkachuk was left in front of the net and tried to put the puck through the five hole causing him to contort and roll over at the same time.
It was reported the last surgery was a labrum repair and likely FAI repair (which is really what the resurfacing you mention is). If that is the case and if it's the same surgery I'm intimately familiar with (and what Kucherov, Pastrnak, Seguin, Point, Rask etc.. have had) his timeline was very aggressive to be ready for the season. But media, us etc likely don't know the full details.

I don't know what's happening and we'll have to wait for full details but I'm not particularly shocked he got hurt. That isn't to say he was necessarily nursing it all this time. He might have been fine physically up to that point as Mossey suggests.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
can you imagine? robertson would have been a god in this city

like ichiro meets paquiao meets linsanity

joe tsai would have godfathered the aqualinis and we’d finally be freeeeeeeeee

View attachment 616004

Could be worse. Can you imagine Shahid Khan owning the Canucks? Look how well the sports franchises they bought have faired. His son Tony Khan, likes to insert himself into the operations of organizations significantly more than even Frankie.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
...maybe their play sucking has something to do with the team sucking, instead of having a frat house environment in the locker room.

I see a team very similar to the one from last season - just without a goalie playing at a vezina level.
Both Rutherford and Boudreau have told everyone. Demko covered up mega mistakes and the team is playing like a stat team building up their numbers for contracts type of thing
The 3 clowns behind this mess are PA, JR and Aqua.

Didn’t make the moves they needed to mske while they had the keys to the franchise and then made horrible moves when they did make a move

Management and ownership are pathetic

Team is pathetic
Aquilini did the right thing, he even hired the right guy but Rutherford gave the head GM job to the wrong guy apparently, Allvin is the GM not Rutherford, if JR starts taking over then Allvin goes.
That quote from Miller drives me bonkers.

..."We should be embarrassed if we are accountable" The evidence is very strong JT that you, and many of your teammates, AREN'T holding yourselves accountable.
After 7 years of hearing that "canned" stuff it would be refreshing to hear something like, "this team needs movement in the room" or "we worked really hard for 5 years to develop this locker room (losing) environment" or "I am sick and tired of losing, I want out" now the last part was said by both Miller and Horvat with Pettersson stating something close about his deal being for only 3 years, paraphrase "I want to see where the team is, I want to play in the playoffs"

One more win and 3 points more than last year at the same number of games.
Last year 59 GF - 76 GA, this year 81 GF - 93 GA

It is what it is, Allvin didn't change anything but you know the "heat is on".

Allvin may lose his job over this other firing thing yet anyway.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It was reported the last surgery was a labrum repair and likely FAI repair (which is really what the resurfacing you mention is). If that is the case and if it's the same surgery I'm intimately familiar with (and what Kucherov, Pastrnak, Seguin, Point, Rask etc.. have had) his timeline was very aggressive to be ready for the season. But media, us etc likely don't know the full details.

I don't know what's happening and we'll have to wait for full details but I'm not particularly shocked he got hurt. That isn't to say he was necessarily nursing it all this time. He might have been fine physically up to that point as Mossey suggests.
Maybe but his movements were not the same both ways/sides. Probably was getting injections. While not uncommon with goalies the end results are the price for playing the position, his history is these hip issues have been around for a decade or longer, much longer than when he got the first surgeries.

Sometimes end up with bone on bone and then "resurfacing" replacement.

Forwards don't put as much pressure on their hip as goalies

Backstrom had that and no NHLer has ever been successful coming back.

To me I saw a right hip issue from the start of the season

Reactions: Foundational Player

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think some people are going to be in for a surprise here when they find out that this Canuck start isn't about Thatcher Demko as much as it is absolutely awful defensive play. He hasn't been good but the amount of tough situations this team puts their goaltenders in will be really exposed here if Demko is out for a bit.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think some people are going to be in for a surprise here when they find out that this Canuck start isn't about Thatcher Demko as much as it is absolutely awful defensive play. He hasn't been good but the amount of tough situations this team puts their goaltenders in will be really exposed here if Demko is out for a bit.
Not really...Demko was in goal for practically all the multiple goal blown leads..He was one of the worst goalies in the league..Lately, it looked like he was turning a corner back into last seasons Demko..Martin has been ventilated only once.

I dont disagree on the teams sloppy defensive play..but you gotta be able to make a save when you're closing out games.

"Demko underwent undisclosed lower-body surgery last spring that he described as fairly common for goaltenders. But he returned to Vancouver in early August to get a head start on preparation, working with goalie coach Ian Clark, and said during training camp in September that he felt more ready than ever to start a season.

It turned out to be a false start, with Demko shockingly porous. With the defensive chaos in front of him and a lot of pucks in the net behind him, Demko appeared to lose confidence. He admitted three weeks ago, as his game slowly began to improve, that he had never experienced anything like this slump and was grappling to climb out of it.

Ironically – or typically – Thursday’s injury occurred as Demko was displaying something close to his MVP form of last season. He picked up an emotional 4-3 overtime win Sunday in San Jose, where teammates rallied around him as Demko earned just his third victory in 14 starts, then on Thursday stopped the first 11 shots he faced, at least half of them high-quality chances. Then Canuck ineptitude reached a critical mass."..Sportsnet.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There is something definitely broken in the mindset of these players...Being ventilated by an aggregate score of 9-2 in the the last two games (on home ice) is humiliating.

The coach and players must know that the other shoe is going to drop any day now.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not really...Demko was in goal for practically all the multiple goal blown leads..He was one of the worst goalies in the league..Lately, it looked like he was turning a corner back into last seasons Demko..Martin has been ventilated only once.

I dont disagree on the teams sloppy defensive play..but you gotta be able to make a save when you're closing out games.

Neither goalie has been good and Martin has definitely made timelier saves which has led to more wins under him. I don't think that's complete luck - there's an intangible/skill to that - but I also think it's something that balances out over time a bit.

There have been so, so many games this season where Demko is put into very difficult situations, I fully expect those situations to continue. And it will not go well.

Reactions: BimJenning

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I was so happy to be done with Green, but some very questionable decisions remain. Why are we moving from winning formulas? JT-Bo-Hog have a great game.. split em up, and insert Boeser. That 3rd line was tragic.

Stillman remains the most bizzare situation i've ever seen. Dude is actually a saboteur, like his every 1st shift is some butt clenching mistake. It's not like injuries have put him in the top 6, he doesn't have some massive contract, and he's not related to the owners by blood nor marriage..

The PP was trash. Hughes looks like he went through the same 'training' during the offseason that EP did last year.

Goalies not helping once again.

Garland and Boesers time is up.

I am le sad.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
There is something definitely broken in the mindset of these players...Being ventilated by an aggregate score of 9-2 in the the last two games (on home ice) is humiliating.

The coach and players must know that the other shoe is going to drop any day now.
I straight up just don’t like this team. They’re not easy to root for. I feel bad for whoever the next coach is if he ends up having to deal with this same core group of players.

Bieksa said it best, unless you have a core group of 8 or so guys that set the tone on and off the ice, you’re not winning shit.

“Easy to play against”

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
How has Conor Garland been for you guys? Noticed the point totals arent great, but I hope he's having a positive impact in some areas.
I don't buy the narrative that Hughes can't be a true #1 because of his height, plenty of examples of great Dmen that lean on their skating. It's BS to suggest Hoglanders size holds him back, when he's a beast in battles and compete level.

Garland is actually too damn small for this league.

Seems like he can't take a pass because his stick is about the size of half a broken one.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
How has Conor Garland been for you guys? Noticed the point totals arent great, but I hope he's having a positive impact in some areas.
He was streaky but overall good last year. This year he has struggled big time. I feel like he’s very hit or miss when it comes to chemistry with linemates

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
I straight up just don’t like this team. They’re not easy to root for. I feel bad for whoever the next coach is if he ends up having to deal with this same core group of players.

Bieksa said it best, unless you have a core group of 8 or so guys that set the tone on and off the ice, you’re not winning shit.

“Easy to play against”
It’s telling that the main chant is for…The coach :help:

But honestly, he’s the most likeable of the bunch. And the easiest to cheer for.

Listening to Bruce’s post game interviews , I really don’t think he likes the team that much.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Last year had two vert good streaks of excellent production. This season, can't find chemistry with his linemates. He's currently stuck on a line with another small player that's also an AHL call-up and the reanimated corpse of Brock Boeser. When he had played higher up in the lineup he had a bad tendency of gaining the zone then just spinning around until he lost control of the puck or was just pushed off it. The other problem is the Canucks already have his clone in Hoglander; they play the exact same style.

He looks like a guy that is a prime candidate for a change of scenery.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

His most noticeable contribution this season was breaking up a verbal fight between two players at the end of a period. Things are going great here this year!

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Maybe but his movements were not the same both ways/sides. Probably was getting injections. While not uncommon with goalies the end results are the price for playing the position, his history is these hip issues have been around for a decade or longer, much longer than when he got the first surgeries.

Sometimes end up with bone on bone and then "resurfacing" replacement.

Forwards don't put as much pressure on their hip as goalies

Backstrom had that and no NHLer has ever been successful coming back.

To me I saw a right hip issue from the start of the season

Fair enough.

It's hard to talk about resurfacing as it sort of doubles for two completely different hip procedures (at least for my surgeon...)

When correcting the FAI (Femoroacetabular Impingement) and torn labrum they will resurface the joint (could be ball, could be socket could be both) to remove the impingement and any bone spurs etc. Essentially shave things off in arthroscopic surgery. Labrum will either be stitched back or trimmed. Recovery is 4-6 months to unrestricted activity (full recovery is 12-15 months). Rask was unable to return from this surgery last year and retired. This is what the articles I read suggests Demko had. It's what I had (same with Kucherov, Pastrnak, Point and Seguin over the past few years of the big name guys).

Other resurfacing we are talking things in the realm of hip replacement where they put a metal covering over the femoral head and perhaps socket. Much more major surgery.

Annoyingly the FAI/labrum often doesn't cause pain. Many don't know they have it until it's too late (the labrum delaminates and arthritis sets into the joint within months). Mine manifested as lower back pain for years. The final tear, if you will, hurt like hell. I blacked out in the gym. Not the same for everyone.

People often ignore it as well and play through it. I'm guessing this was a major issue with Kesler and led to his full hip replacement 2 years ago at age 36. He had previously tried the metal resurfacing but was unable to resume his career (as you mention it's not something you come really expect to come back from).

I don't know enough about goaltender movement to see whether movement is good or not. I do know that while I was cleared to play, the first several months back on the ice I certainly noticed a difference between my surgical hip and the good one. Ultimate strength and flexibility were fine BUT stamina was less. Also, it seemed there was a delay in the muscles of that one hip firing a bit (I don't know how else to describe it..it was stepping on the gas pedal and having a delay before the car takes off). My movement looked fine to outside observers but I can tell you one hip performed differently than the other.

Not saying I know everything about this or anything...just what I know having gone through the evaluations and choices myself.

NOw on martin vs Demko going on in this threas....I think it's fruitless to argue about whether the goaltender with the 0.900 SV% or the 0.883 SV% has been better etc. Neither has been good. Both are being hung out to dry by cross seam pass after cross seam pass, giveaway after giveaway, and odd man rush against after odd man rush against (hell if it wasn't for an offside they would have given the same player two breakaways in one shift at the beginning of the first last night!). Quite honestly the best thing that is happening right now is that the goaltenders are struggling. It completely exposes the garbage in front of them for all to see.

And no that doesn't let the goaltenders off the hook it just shows the foolishness of building a team based on a player or two and letting that fool you into thinking the team as a whole is good. Any success this team has had the last handful of year be it in the bubble or extended streaks of good record boils down to mostly the goaltending. For the canucks it's Markstrom or Demko. For the Habs for a while it was Price. For the Oilers it's McDavid and Draisatl. You see it time and time again in the NHL.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know if it's the result of all the punishment he absorbs along the wall, but his skating is more noticeably labored this year. He just can't gain any traction or separation in the neutral zone any more.

He could be playing hurt.....but if he isn't, then that OEL trade with Coyotes will border on disastrous, if it isn't already. Garland was re-signed to a four year, $5m contract by Benning. Combined with the $7.2m the Canucks are paying OEL, that's over $12m under the salary cap for guys who can't seem to cut it on a lot of nights.

When you look at Cap Friendly.....there's not a team in the NHL that's getting less out of bloated payroll than the Canucks. They're still screwed.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
We were so bad defensively, we literally broke Demko. He was having a stellar game, as it could have been 5-0 by then or worse.

How had do you have to be to be the direct cause of what looks to be a season ending injury to your goalie? Answer:- Canuck Bad (tm)

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Don’t buy that. I think he plays Stillman because he legit thinks Stillman is tougher and the team is soft. He talked up the 4th line guys all camp and should be nothing but pleased with that line really. They’ve done a decent job considering you have two guys with very limited nhl experience. Since the start of camp it was clear neither management nor coaching staff had a use for Dickinson.

It's either Stillman (-9) or Burroughs (-7). They both kinda suck...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad