Post-Game Talk: GM 2 | Oilers def. Canucks - 5-2 (Schmidt, Motte)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Poor effort - lots of the warts got exposed in this one and some of the weaknesses in the lineup got confirmed. Special teams a key difference from last night. Yesterday the PK was good while tonight not so much. McDavid was superior to anything we could offer up and more or less ran the show. Not the last time that is going to happen.

Good

Demko - made some good saves and just hung out to dry on so many occasions. Just peppered at times as the defense around the crease was awful

Hoglander - yes looked tired in the third and trying to do too much and not in sync with others but his passing and set ups were likely the best thing the Canucks team had going for them. Played to death by Green. Amazing amount of ice time

Horvat - faded in the third but really only center presence we had for most of the game.

Schmidt - again our best d-man.

Bad

Hamonic - zone of coverage is miniscule. Right back in his crease most of the night. Got a little better as game went on but he skating is very clunky. Having trouble getting to pucks fast enough to make a play.

Pettersson - got to be said. Seems unfocussed and tentative. Very poor on faceoffs and mostly on the perimeter. Not a good start to the year

Roussel - was so poor on the PK. Got way out of position and let the puck be passed thru' and around him all game. Can't see him sticking on the PK.

MacEwen - needs to know why he is here. Did not finish a check all game and ran himself out of the play chasing the puck. Looked too clumsy and unskilled.

Myers - back on heels and lurching off balance after the puck. When I think of the 6 mill we are spending on this player rather then paying Tanev I'm again reminded of why I dislike (putting it mildly) Benning. Was not good on the PK or moving the puck up.

Virtanen - guess I'll hear about possession time ( of which he had none) or his board work (which was again bad) or that he would be fine if Green just used him right. He was, in fact, lousy again. Benched for significant periods of play. Doing nothing offensively and a liability in his own end. He is not an NHL player atm. and probably never will be.

Others

Joulevi - f didn't loo too bad in garbage time but lack of speed still a problem. Not the only one mostly has trouble moving up as unit with the forwards and ends up having to make long passes out of his zone. Just does not have quick feet (see Hamonic) and this hurts coverage. I wonder if we will see Chatfield.

Hughes - played hard and was better than last night. Thought he took on too much at times to compensate for poor play of forwards.

Worse part of this game for the Canucks was the way the defense sagged when faced with pressure and speed off the rush. That is going to be hard to fix.

Canuck play like this and I could see a tank thread creeping back into existence. Very discouraging game.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Juolevi's ability to defend in transition and from the outside is something to keep an eye on, but not something to cause alarm for me yet. Hard to judge any defender's ability in that regard against the Oilers of all teams, let alone a rookie D. It was only yesterday, even, that he defended a move from the outside from Draisaitl of all people as well as any D I've ever seen.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The Miller injury immediately makes you miss having a guy like Leivo who is completely able to take some reps in the top-6 and not look like a complete ****ing idiot like Virtanen/Motte.

Virtanen continues to be an insanely frustrating player who puts in a Loui Eriksson level of effort most nights.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Poor performance. McDavid was all-world but there was very little positive in this game. Were skated out of the rink pretty much from the opening faceoff. Looked like the Vegas series only Demko was human.

- defense is a mess. Juolevi is basically unplayable and totally untrusted - feels like politics that he's even on the roster. Hamonic is currently an unfit pylon. And one of the assumptions in the 'our defense is upgraded!' narrative is that Edler and Myers will maintain their 19-20 level of play as age 30+ guys. Both were absolutely skating in mud today in the 2nd game of a back-to-back. Result is all kinds of matchup problems and Schmidt really as the only guy you're comfortable having on the ice against McDavid. Tanev is sorely missed already.

- Pettersson is missing Miller badly and that line is doing nothing at ES. Need to figure out something that works until Miller gets back. Gaudette there is probably the best idea and Green did go to that late.

- Hoglander on the Horvat line worked yesterday. It did not work today. Hoglander had a couple decent moments early but showed later why he probably shouldn't be playing high-leverage NHL minutes at age 20. Might be a better idea to put Hoglander with Pettersson and then Virtanen with Horvat.

- bottom 6 is a mess. What does Roussel do, exactly? Sutter-Beagle-Motte is a bad 4th line that is being hopelessly overplayed as a 3rd line.

- feel for Demko tonight. Had more tough chances to face in the first period tonight than Holtby did all game yesterday.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
This was a game that does not need much introspection..

The Oilers hosted the bubble.
The Oilers underperformed in their bubble.
The Oilers were embarrassed watching from outside their bubble.
The Oilers lost the first game of the weird new season - in this new Canadian bubble.

It was coming...

Looking forward to seeing Tanman and Marky again on HNIC.

Wooooooooooo.

Edit: bubble

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Bizarre coaching.

Schmidt is one of the few guys in the NHL who can skate with McDavid and should have been glued to him tonight. Instead McDavid got to feast on the Hughes-Hamonic pairing.

We're going to play the Oilers 8 more times, I would hope the coaching staff have some game plan.

Dealing with the Oilers is pretty easy. Shut McDavid and Draisatl down. :sarcasm:

Honestly though, the rest of their team poses no threats offensively at all.

Reactions: geebaan

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I know I harped on Virtanen already today.
But how can you continue to have that kind of Effort year after year?
I just don't understand it, It's like he chooses the game he wants to look engaged.
I am not even talking about scoring in General, I am
talking about hitting, battling, forechecking.
This is a guy who is the most frustrating player I have seen in ages, It's incredible to me.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Are there 2 more "meh" 6 million dollars players in the NHL than Myers and Eriksson?

Right now I would throw a 1st over to Seattle to pick Myers in the expansion draft. We lost Tanev to sign him and he is at most an average #4 dman.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
- Hoglander on the Horvat line worked yesterday. It did not work today. Hoglander had a couple decent moments early but showed later why he probably shouldn't be playing high-leverage NHL minutes at age 20. Might be a better idea to put Hoglander with Pettersson and then Virtanen with Horvat.

Hoglander played 21:45, which was the 2nd most amongst forwards. My view is the opposite - had a couple of bad moments, but overall was one of the better players tonight.

He had a lot of time on the PP, so obviously the coaches like his offensive ability.

I wonder if Hog would be a better option on the left side on the 1st unit. Boeser has a good shot, but is very predictable because he just kind of stands there, and a lot of times he gives up the puck. Hoglander is super shifty and mobile and would probly find a lot more passing lanes open up, or opportunities to stickhandle right to the net for a scoring chance.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
There just isn't enough on this team.

Virtanen isn't a top 6 player.

The entire bottom 6 is fourth liners.

Edler isn't the minutes monster he once was.

Juolevi-Myers isn't a good enough 3rd pairing.

Hamonic not good either but that's probably just rust.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Schmidt was fabulous today outside of that goal against

Watch that goal against again - Schmidt read the play and did everything humanly possible to stop McDavid. There was nothing more he could do.

Whoever lined up as winger on the hash marks (Beagle?) failed to do his job. That goal is on that guy, not Schmidt.

But kudos to Schmidt for stepping up.

Last edited:

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
200.gif

Reactions: PM and Ginger Papa

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
This was a game that does not need much introspection..

The Oilers hosted the bubble.
The Oilers underperformed in their bubble.
The Oilers were embarrassed watching from outside their bubble.
The Oilers lost the first game of the weird new season - in this new Canadian bubble.

It was coming...

Looking forward to seeing Tanman and Marky again on HNIC.

Wooooooooooo.

Edit: bubble
Cream bubbles to the top.

Or is that rancid oil? I can never remember which

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
I know I harped on Virtanen already today.
But how can you continue to have that kind of Effort year after year?
I just don't understand it, It's like he chooses the game he wants to look engaged.
I am not even talking about scoring in General, I am
talking about hitting, battling, forechecking.
This is a guy who is the most frustrating player I have seen in ages, It's incredible to me.

He just loves the lifestyle and being a home town hero. That and the organization gave him too much too soon. His camp in 2015 was nowhere near good enough to make the team and yet he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad