Post-Game Talk: GM 2 | Oilers def. Canucks - 5-2 (Schmidt, Motte)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Jake virtanen It’s going to be the same player for his entire career here, I’m just kind of sick and tired of watching him play, I don’t even care if he scores 15 goals, The inconsistency is just mad.

Kid needs a change of scenery, and so do I watching him

Consistently inconsistent is what describes Jake. But every 5th game he shows up, people cheer that he finally "breaks out", and than he goes back to good ol' Jake for another 4 games.

Agreed, I think he needs a trade. Still some value from Eastern teams that don't look at him closely.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
McDavid could put up career highs this year in like 50 games. Also it’s scary to think but the Oilers are starting to get some other decent forwards outside the big 2. Yamamoto looks really good. RNH and Kass are pretty solid. If Pulu comes around that’s a nasty top-6. Bottom-6 still isn’t great but neither is ours.

Despite giving up 5 goals Demko is the closest thing I can think of for a positive for us from this game. We better come out with a better game against the Flames and Markstrom on Saturday.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Watching our defense makes me miss Tanev and Stecher.

to add, I love Schmidt, but both Edler and Myers look a year older and slower, and Hamonic looks even slower. Add the coach can’t even trust Joulevi to take a regular shift and we are f***ed.

I mean, it was arguably a one-pairing defence last season. Even with Schmidt you can make the same arguments so far this year.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Spectacular individual game by McDavid, and the Oilers clogged the neutral zone and middle well enough. The Canucks will need to work harder to get to the net and get second chances. They got a bit lucky on the first goal, and then McDavid really took over.

This is the Oiler's game and it's a good test for the Canucks. Miller is missed and so is Tanev. The defense needs to adjust and move the puck out faster.

Tough game for Demko - he wasn't bad. It's a young team, there are going to be nights like this.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Edler after getting 'walked' by McGrumpy:
source.gif

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Hurricane McDavid blew through and there wasn't much the good guys could do about that.

Hogs had a bad sequence on the Oilers' 5th goal. EP fighting the puck. Juolevi is going to get beat wide regularly once teams start scouting him, which will happen with this weird all-divisional play. Hamonic is still struggling with the pace of play.

Oh well. Onto Calgary.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

to add, I love Schmidt, but both Edler and Myers look a year older and slower, and Hamonic looks even slower. Add the coach can’t even trust Joulevi to take a regular shift and we are f***ed.

We saw this last year too even with Tanev and Stecher. Against the Oilers as well. Let's face it, they have some good size and the twin towers are dominant no matter who they play. Markstrom kept it closer but Demko's gonna need some time. The forwards need to do better.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Ice was tilted from the start and was very reminiscent of last years play down the stretch and in the Vegas series. Team gets badly outshot in the first 30 min of the game and the goals eventually come.

TG deserves his fair share of criticisms. Seems to have no ability to adjust during the course of the game.

The other issue is our D flat out sucks. Edler is just so many steps behind and is about to fall off a cliff. Myers has fallen off the cliff. Hamonic is at the bottom of the cliff. Juolevi is a major project so we will have to see how it plays out but nights like these are really tough to watch.

Other issue. The likes of Roussel, Virtanen, Sutter and Beagle just taking up roster spots and seemingly doing f*** all.

We really need a better defensive system and a replacement shot blocker that we lost in Tanev. Teams like the Leafs and Oilers are going to rack up the points playing the Canucks D.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Takeaways:
  • Keep the Horvat line together. Legit look really good.
  • Can't win when your best player (Pettersson) just isn't playing like your best player at all
  • Need to shuffle the D pairs badly. Slow and don't play as well together
  • Role players can't take garbage penalties.
  • PK woof. Maybe Roussel off the PK and Uncle Loui drawns in for MacEwan? (as sad as that would be)
  • Maybe it's time to move Gaudette to wing full time. Would be a closer analog to a JT Miller replacement (minus faceoffs). Can distribute the puck and shoot. Sutter back as 3C.
  • Is Baertschi really that irredeemable? Needs to be considered more seriously as they are always 1 injury away from being impotent.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Can’t trust the supposed #6 guy to play a regular shift. What does that say about the #7 and other depth!

He also has trouble trusting his 11th and 12th forwards.

This season will be weird (until all players are vaccinated). The rosters will be in flux. You have an extra taxi squad. Add in a condensed schedule and what you have is the ultimate test of organizational depth. So it’s quite troubling when out of the gates you are already limiting ice to multiple players.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Virtanen is awful. Team didn’t have it tonight. Not gonna judge to hard until Miller is back. The team has no depth, but we knew this.
Virtanen could be a solid role player if he transformed himself and committed to being a power forward. Hoglander is more of a power forward at this point. Jake is just a perimeter player that doesn’t get to the dirty areas or show an ounce of jam in his game. Every game I hope I’ll see Jake take a goaltender interference penalty because at least you know he’s going to the right areas. I think it’s fair to call him soft And if he doesn’t understand what he needs to do to be successful I think he’s a lost cause at this point. He’s a run of the mill 15 goal scorer that doesn’t contribute much to a winning hockey team.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
McDavid could put up career highs this year in like 50 games. Also it’s scary to think but the Oilers are starting to get some other decent forwards outside the big 2. Yamamoto looks really good. RNH and Kass are pretty solid. If Pulu comes around that’s a nasty top-6. Bottom-6 still isn’t great but neither is ours.

Despite giving up 5 goals Demko is the closest thing I can think of for a positive for us from this game. We better come out with a better game against the Flames and Markstrom on Saturday.
I feel like injuries have ruined RNH a bit, he looked so much more dynamic as a rookie. I know he’s going to rack up points now but that’s because he’s on the PP with probably the best PP duo in the league.

Reactions: PM

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Can’t trust the supposed #6 guy to play a regular shift. What does that say about the #7 and other depth!

He also has trouble trusting his 11th and 12th forwards.

This season will be weird (until all players are vaccinated) and the rosters will be in flux. You have an extra taxi squad? Add in a condensed schedule and what you have is the ultimate test of organizational depth. So it’s quite troubling when out of the gates you are already limiting ice to multiple players.

With this schedule he can't shorten the bench as much as he has done at times.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Virtanen could be a solid role player if he transformed himself and committed to being a power forward. Hoglander is more of a power forward at this point. Jake is just a perimeter player that doesn’t get to the dirty areas or show an ounce of jam in his game. Every game I hope I’ll see Jake take a goaltender interference penalty because at least you know he’s going to the right areas. I think it’s fair to call him soft And if he doesn’t understand what he needs to do to be successful I think he’s a lost cause at this point. He’s a run of the mill 15 goal scorer that doesn’t contribute much to a winning hockey team.
He's not going to change tho. He is what he is

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I’d try Gaudette at LW on the top line until Miller is back. Can’t be worse than Jake and I’m not sure he’s that effective at centre to begin with. Put Sutter back at centre and expect basically nothing from that line along with our fourth line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad