Post-Game Talk: GM 2 | Oilers def. Canucks - 5-2 (Schmidt, Motte)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I will reserve the scorning until everyone has a few games under their belt.

Except Myers. That stupid ******* tree.
Agreed on both points with one stipulation. I will continue to crap all over Jake's endlessly disappointing lack of hustle. Disappointing lack of awareness that has him seem somewhat bewildered whenever a play demands more than skating in a straight line.

This situation happened tonight:

Jake stick-lifts McDavid and takes the puck up the boards to exit the D-zone. He knows damn well who he just stripped, yet he still thinks he has time to take a half-assed stride and coast while he surveys his options. Predictably McDavid is on him with McDavid-like speed and has stripped Jake before he even hits the blueline.

He's some unholy combination of lazy and dumb. It drives me nuts.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
On the bright side, I really liked what I saw from Hoglander again. Very good at stealing pucks, and he impresses me with how strong he is on his feet, even though I knew that already, but great to see him doing these things at the NHL level. Perfect example of his skillset was his outmuscling and stripping the puck from Darnell Nurse, who is 7 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier. Just a BS call that stole that play from him. On top of that, he sets guys up for golden opportunities. 2 games in, he is already one of our top 6.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Not really a game I'd throw any sort of blame to any individual players here. It was just a team not being able to crack the other team up and down with the difference being 5 on 4 play and Connor McDavid.

Outside of a few nice individual plays, the team really struggled to get any offense of note going and really just couldn't open up the ice against the Oilers, which I reckon is something you have to be prepared for when trailing against a Tippett team. Credit to them, though, their team defense was miles better than it was last night, and other than special teams, it was the difference.

Good:
Not too many guys I can explicitly put in the "good" column as the whole roster was just sort of "meh" tonight. However -

Schmidt: Comes exactly as advertised, great on both sides of the puck and does what you want him to do. Great shot, poise, and play all around. Happy to have him.

Alright, I guess:
Most of the team for me, lol. No one really stunk it up out there but couldn't get much done regardless. Notably -

Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser: Need to do a little better as top end guys. In games like these these are the players that need to really come out and tilt the ice, creating regular grade-A chances, and they didn't do that tonight. They did it last night, though, so I'm not gonna be too harsh on em. Onto the next for them. Miller really makes a difference, that's for sure. Also, Pettersson needs a new stick manufacturer.

Hoglander: Also comes as advertised, really. Seeing what I want out of him but also very much seeing the D zone struggles he's been said to have. I think that can be ironed out, though, and he's showing me more than enough on the other side of the puck for such a young rookie, so again, not gonna be too harsh. Keep working it out in practice. He's got a great work ethic so I'm sure he can commit to it with some good coaching and more exposure to NHL play.

The rest of the D corps: Pylonized a bit by McDavid but, yeah. That's going to happen sometimes. Sometimes being on D against McDavid is like trying to save a goal 3 on 0. No chance. The lack of speed somewhat concerns me, but overall, I think they've all made noticeably good plays over the last two nights and have encouraged me to the point where I think our D will still be better this year than last year. Not seeing what's making people ready to whip Juolevi out of the lineup just yet.

Our fourth line: Actually pretty ok? They're doing more than I expected them to when it comes to possession and zone time, but not much is coming out of it on the score sheet. Still, though, surprisingly not the problem so far.

Rough Outing:

Hughes: Not sure how much to attribute to losing Tanev, but this was an off-night for his standards either way. Just a little bit slower and more sluggish than we'd hope at times and standing still on a few plays uncharacteristically. One of those times you gotta remind yourself that this is only his second year and that he's still what, 20? 21?

Our third line: Doesn't really do much of anything, lol. I think that depth-wise, this is our team's greatest existential weakness. What really separates great teams from good teams is the depth in that third line to contribute. Has generated very little of worth either offensively or defensively thus far.

Our PP and O zone time: As an overall unit, our team is very, VERY non-threatening on offense. They're not really skating quick enough in transition to break up the D, are very much not connecting on key passes in transition enough to create consistent high danger chances, and by the time they get to the O zone we usually do a number of completely worthless going-through-the-motions moves that do literally nothing other than give the other team a chance to clear.

How many times are we just gonna go to the D... to one circle... to the D... to the other circle... to a telegraphed cross-seam pass that doesn't work and ends our zone time? Or how many times will players just skate around the net slowly before looking around again and seeing that nothing about the situation on the ice has changed? Our cycle is actually kinda dogshit. The boys kept the puck on their stick waaay too long every time they had it and gave the Oilers all day to get in the way of the shot or put their sticks into passing lanes, as the blocked shots stats in particular indicated.

Happy with our first performance, and not quite as happy with this one. Reminiscent of the Jekyll-Hyde Canucks we saw last year; which is really concerning, because this team really needs to find some consistency to actually make something out of its lineup. Part of me wants to hope our execution improves as the season goes along but these are issues we had late into the year last year as well.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I feel like injuries have ruined RNH a bit, he looked so much more dynamic as a rookie. I know he’s going to rack up points now but that’s because he’s on the PP with probably the best PP duo in the league.

Yeah I don’t think he’s ever going to live up to his draft position but he looks more well rounded now. At least against us.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Green is obsessed with certain matchups and faceoff statistic and it burns him in hilarious ways.

Playing a fast team, let's overplay Edler.

Maginot line defense. Let's have 3 centers on the ice so they can stand around being impotent when McDavid just blows past them. Sutter and Beagle don't add much value outside of draws.

Insistent on using Horvat as a matchup C when he's more of a scoring C. His defense has not really translated to the NHL. Lets have him start OT against MacKinnon so he can blow by him and score in 6 seconds.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Takeaways:
  • Keep the Horvat line together. Legit look really good.
  • Can't win when your best player (Pettersson) just isn't playing like your best player at all
  • Need to shuffle the D pairs badly. Slow and don't play as well together
  • Role players can't take garbage penalties.
  • PK woof. Maybe Roussel off the PK and Uncle Loui drawns in for MacEwan? (as sad as that would be)
  • Maybe it's time to move Gaudette to wing full time. Would be a closer analog to a JT Miller replacement (minus faceoffs). Can distribute the puck and shoot. Sutter back as 3C.
  • Is Baertschi really that irredeemable? Needs to be considered more seriously as they are always 1 injury away from being impotent.
This game is probably the most listless I’ve ever seen EP play..I’m sure he’ll snap out of it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You simply cannot have a defender on this roster that you can’t trust to play more than 10 minutes. It puts far too much stress on the rest of the d core.
If he plays less than 10 minutes against that team, he’s not going to play more than that against any team other than the Sens.

Every other team has a better bottom six than we do. Oilers and Sens only worse ones.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Imagine if we could parachute our old third line of Torres - Malhotra - Hansen onto this team. Pre-forever suspended Torres. Or the young version of Burrows - Kesler - Cook before that. Our third line now is so terrible it might be even worse than the 4th line. It’s gotta be up there for worst in the league.

Reactions: CherryCoke

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I’m not worried about tonight. As others have said we’re:
  • Mixing in new players
  • Missing JT
  • Chemistry is still being established
  • Rust is still prevalent, (esp.Hamonic)
I’m with those who are giving this 10 games.

Or maybe I’m just guilty of wearing my
26588B38-7EA0-4406-8215-B50A34ADB645.gif

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
He's not going to change tho. He is what he is
I know. It just bugs me watching him play he does because he isn’t skilled enough or have the hockey iq to be successful playing his current style.

if people wonder why petey is “struggling” watch the difference between miller and virtanen. Miller attacks the net/puck and opens up room for Elias. Virtanen just floats on the perimeter and allows the other team to take away ice from Pettersson.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I'm seeing all this clamoring for Tanev......shall I remind you all what McJesus did to us the first game of last year? Blew by Tanev just before OT in a tie game to pot the game winner I believe.

Tanev, Scott Stevens, Paul Coffey...........no one woulda stopped McJesus tonight
Exactly.

McGrumpy sent the message, along with a great team effort by the Oilers.

We were simply out-worked, out-coached, and out-played tonight.
Whichever goalie was in tonight, did not matter, and needs a frosty cold beverage..

Looking forward to watching Marky on Sat.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
You just got to tip your cap to the Oilers. More emotional game for them and more compete. Meanwhile our 1st and 3rd lines looked like they were in a preseason/scrimmage game for the first half.

Don't know how the media could predict this but the players just seemed surprised.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
lmao you could hear the gears churning for Travis when asked about Gaud on the 1st line.

"That would break up 3 lines............................ but I've done this.....before."

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I’m not worried about tonight. As others have said we’re:
  • Mixing in new players
  • Missing JT
  • Chemistry is still being established
  • Rust is still prevalent, (esp.Hamonic)
I’m with those who are giving this 10 games.

Or maybe I’m just guilty of wearing my
View attachment 384474
c328358d70d93d64929c29e04baf181a.gif

Not 'rose coloured', but I think we will have a great bounce-back game against the Flames.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
  • Sven is better than Roussell
  • Bailey is better than Roussell
  • Louie is better than Roussell
  • Pettersson needs to be better
  • Hughes looked fine to me, not his best, but I'm not worried
  • Tyler "Lurch" Myers just keeps Lurching around. Look bud I get that you're 10 feet tall with a stupid long reach, but if you moved your feet a bit your reach would be nearly unstoppable
  • OJ is primed for many a turnstyle this year, until he is out of the lineup that is.
  • I wonder if Rathbone will be able to sleep tonight, he's gotta know his time is coming.
  • I already posted on how Jake sucks
  • I liked Edler's game and I didn't see any "losing a step", at least not compared to the last couple of seasons.
  • Hamonic was invisible to me and I imagine he will improve as he shakes the rust.
  • The raw unbridled power of McDavid was on full display, what a player.
  • JT Miller is making a case for team MVP with the Grand Canyon-sized hole in the lineup in his absence.
  • Everyone has commented on the Hog and I share their excitement.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching Mcdavid destroy us tonight made me think how badly I want to see him play for Team Canada at the Olympics. Hopefully the next one.
Oilers are basically a two-player team.....despite tonight's win, they still surrendered almost 40 shots against. Their bottom-six might actually be worse than the Canucks, and that's saying something.

Hopefully Green will make a few lineup changes for the next game....a mercy hook for Hamonic is certainly warranted. But of course that would mean promoting Rafferty to the starting lineup and that won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad