Post-Game Talk: GM 2: Flames def. Canucks - 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Agreed. I don’t think defense has really been the backbreaker for us, either - the odd breakdown resulting in a goal is going to happen. Our 5 on 5 play and ability of our forwards to convert on offensive opportunities at this point is what is sinking us. Some of that will even out (our forwards won’t shoot zero forever), but the 5 on 5 mismatches are disconcerting.
I think it’s pretty concerning they’re playing Edler 25+ Minutes and playing the 3rd pairing as though it’s Guillaume Brisebois and Brogan Rafferty not proven veteran NHL defenseman.

I don’t mind a top heavy usage but this seems extreme and not conducive to long term success.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
It makes too much sense to pair Hughes and Myers an tie them to the Pettersson line.

What’s your opinion on Benn? I always thought Stecher was overrated by this fan base but to go from the minutes he ended last season with to what he’s getting now is quite shocking. Benn doesn’t look very good at all imo. All this puck moving ability he was said to have has been non existent through preseason and now the regular season. Comparing how he’s looked to how Hutton looked for LA is stark.

No issue with Benn's puck movement. He's been reliable there. He has backed in on his goaltender a bit much for my liking. Not an aggressive enough gap, though it's tough when you're not playing much. Stecher for me has been the disappointment. His puck moving has been awful this far. Again, ten minutes a night could do that to you.

Need to give these guys more time to gel. Not the easiest thing playing with a new d partner, in very limited minutes. Suspect they get better with an increased role. Going home, Baumgartner should get them out more. He better anyway, or that top 4 won't be healthy for long.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I actually don’t think he’s limited offensively beyond not having much of a shot. He’s a good passer. Had great vision.

Think of the Edmonton game. He set up Petey on the backdoor and if it was last year Petey it’s a goal.

pretty sure we'll get a chance to compare both options soon enough.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i am trying to understand how that mess of a post contradicts my viewpoint that hutton would refuse to sign a show me deal with the canucks because the kings can offer him a better opportunity.

the canucks overpaid hutton on his previous deal. as a result they made the correct decision not to qualify him. once he was a ufa, the canucks were not a particularly attractive destination. edler and hughes are ahead of him on the depth chart and he would need one of them to go down or underperform to log the minutes he wants to advance his career. he was stagnated and boxed in and it would take a miracle for him to actually get ahead of either of them.

even after hutton missed the market and needed a show me deal the canucks were not an attractive destination for that either for the same reason. the kings were a way better option.

that's just a statement of reality. i wish him well.
I don’t think that not qualifying him was the correct decision at all.

I imagine that’s what he’s referring too.

I agree that once the Canucks refused to qualify him that he was never coming back here and that a team like LA ticks more of the boxes for him than here.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I had heard prior to the season from a source that Stetcher had fallen out of favour with the organization, his ice time seems to reflect that.

If there is something to this, Brogan Rafferty is a guy to keep a close eye on. If he keeps playing well, Stecher could potentially lose his spot in the near future.

Still think they have something with Rafferty. Guy is always looking to make something happen. We need as much of that element as possible.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Glad I havent watched either game yet this year what a joke. 2 games 2 goals no wins no points for Pettersson whos CLEARLY in a sophmore slump. Looks like from what i hear he gained too much weight and cant move him self around like he did last year. Boeser looks like good we didnt do a long term deal with him and we wasted a 1st on Miller who cant get ANYTHING done. What a joke, will we be even worst then Ottawa and Detroit this year? Probably

And now Ben Hutton is outscoring Pettersson and played half the games. WOW

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
We've seen enough to know Tanev is very poor in the attacking zone. As in, Gudbranson levels poor. It's nice to have Tanev to help Hughes defensively, but with Quinn getting the team into the offensive end with such ease, it would be beneficial to have a partner that can make the best of those opportunities. Hughes is the best playmaker on the backend - not a bad idea to have one of the better goal scoring dmen in the league there to finish off some of those passes.

The question is can Hughes and Myers adequately defend together. Won't know the answer to that until they play on the same pairing. Definitely something you attempt to do when heading for a home stand, with last change.

Comparing Tanev and Gudbranson’s abilities and coming to that determination is why you’re evaluations have been questioned.

If Chris Tanev had any sort of shot he’d be a PP player in this league.

Gudbranson can barely make a flat pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Peter10

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
If there is something to this, Brogan Rafferty is a guy to keep a close eye on. If he keeps playing well, Stecher could potentially lose his spot in the near future.

Still think they have something with Rafferty. Guy is always looking to make something happen. We need as much of that element as possible.
I don’t think it had much to do with Rafferty more to do with the coaching staff not being the biggest fans of Stetcher.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Miller is skating with Pettersson and Boeser at pactice today. Glad to seem them trying something to get Pettersson going. This is where they talked about playing Miller when they aquired him. If nothing else this will help that line start with possession. Elias was pretty bad at the dot last season and is 31% so far this year.

Reactions: geebaan

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
...neither of whom would touch this team with a 10 foot cattle prod. The thought of such fantasy makes me laugh out loud...

$$$ I can't think $$$ of any reason $$$ why those coaches $$$ would join us either $$$.

Just dish out the money. Coaches get paid less than your average stars. Also, if you believe Aqualini wouldn't fork up the money you'd be wrong. Aqualini just spent 20 million dollars just to have rights to a team slot in a Call of Duty professional league. That's not including the infrastructure you'd need to run a team. That's just the right to play in the league. Want to know the average viewership for this professional league? Sub 100 thousand.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
Glad I havent watched either game yet this year what a joke. 2 games 2 goals no wins no points for Pettersson whos CLEARLY in a sophmore slump. Looks like from what i hear he gained too much weight and cant move him self around like he did last year. Boeser looks like good we didnt do a long term deal with him and we wasted a 1st on Miller who cant get ANYTHING done. What a joke, will we be even worst then Ottawa and Detroit this year? Probably

And now Ben Hutton is outscoring Pettersson and played half the games. WOW

Awesome take from someone who hasn't even watched a game. Pettersson looks fine he just can't hit the net.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I can definitely see what people are saying about our defense and it concerns me that Hughes and Myers are playing as much as they are and Tanev looks like he may no longer be a good top4 if he keeps this up. I dont get the same confidence from Benn that he could step up in a short term capacity like Hutton could and hold the fort. Stecher can do it and they may have to re work things soon if Tanev cannot pull up his socks.

Anyways what i came to say is that our top line and 3rd line have been simply awful out of the gate. When you look around the league and see what other teams top players are doing ours have been invisible and combined with our pre season you have to be a little/lot concerned. No matter how well our defense plays we have to be able to score goals and our top guys have to find ways to break through. So far so bad.

Travis Green is under fire now. This is his lineup and these are his systems and players. So far i'm not a fan of his lineup decisions. The decision to ice the 3rd line he has, the gifting of the 1st line LW to Ferland after doing nothing in pre season, cutting Baertschi instaed of Schaller or Eriksson who cannot skate at NHL speed anymore. Giving Leivo such a huge role in our top pp unit and demoting Horvat to a 2nd unit. I know its early but Hughes will be running the top unit in no time and this team lacks playmaking and creativity. I'm really disappointed that Gaudette Baertschi Virtanen is not our 3rd scoring unit with a shut down line with Sutter Leivo Beagle
This ^ is it in a nutshell..we've been beaten by McD and Draisaitl,and Johnny Hockey and Monahan....Until our top line (and top 4 in general) sort themselves out, we're going to be behind the 8 ball.

I'm not having any issues with Green ,and his systems..the bottom 6...the PK....Defence..or the goaltending..I think the biggest current problem is an anonymous top line, and an anemic PP.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Comparing Tanev and Gudbranson’s abilities and coming to that determination is why you’re evaluations have been questioned.

If Chris Tanev had any sort of shot he’d be a PP player in this league.

Gudbranson can barely make a flat pass.

Chris Tanev in his prime was as good defensively as anyone in the league. Good in transition too.

Tanev of the last couple hears hasn't been the same player. He's still ten times the player Gudbranson is. But in terms of ability from the offensive blueline in, there is just nothing there with Chris. His shot isn't NHL calibre, his offensive instincts are poor and his handling of the puck isn't smooth like it used to be. He's just very uncomfortable in offensive sitiations.

Gudbranson sucks there too, but he does get pucks through and to the net at least. Neither guy you want anywhere near offensive minutes.

Don't agree that Tanev would be good on a PP if he had a shot. His shot is only one of his issues at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
This ^ is it in a nutshell..we've been beaten by McD and Draisaitl,and Johnny Hockey and Monahan....Until our top line (and top 4 in general) sort themselves out, we're going to be behind the 8 ball.

I'm not having any issues with Green ,and his systems..the bottom 6...the PK....Defence..or the goaltending..I think the biggest current problem is an anonymous top line, and an anemic PP.

Our top line is young so they are bound to be streaky. Having depth scoring to cover for the hot/cold top line should be the priority. Wouldn't you agree?

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
I don’t see a lot of reason to worry as of yet. Based on these two games, the Canucks look about where I thought they’d be: better than Edmonton (they win that game most nights), and a level below Calgary. That puts them squarely in the playoff bubble range. The only folks likely to be surprised have Aquilini on their birth certificate.

I still suspect that unless the Canucks radically outperform this projection Benning gets fired by Christmas.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Our top line is young so they are bound to be streaky. Having depth scoring to cover for the hot/cold top line should be the priority. Wouldn't you agree?
Agreed..the more scoring the merrier..However, in these last two games, the difference has been the difference makers (the top line elite talent)..the depth scoring on both sides basically was a wash.

member 290103

I had heard prior to the season from a source that Stetcher had fallen out of favour with the organization, his ice time seems to reflect that.

Why might that have been? I just can’t see what it is about the player or his play they don’t like ?

I know he has been frustrated by his deployment.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Chris Tanev in his prime was as good defensively as anyone in the league. Good in transition too.

Tanev of the last couple hears hasn't been the same player. He's still ten times the player Gudbranson is. But in terms of ability from the offensive blueline in, there is just nothing there with Chris. His shot isn't NHL calibre, his offensive instincts are poor and his handling of the puck isn't smooth like it used to be. He's just very uncomfortable in offensive sitiations.

Gudbranson sucks there too, but he does get pucks through and to the net at least. Neither guy you want anywhere near offensive minutes.

Don't agree that Tanev would be good on a PP if he had a shot. His shot is only one of his issues at this point.
Agree to disagree.

Reactions: geebaan

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've never understood the love for Stecher on these boards....sure he's a local kid who beat the odds to make the NHL as an undrafted player...and I guess you can't fault his effort level most nights.

But one the flip side, he's an undersized d-men who brings next to nothing to the table offensively. And I don't know if it's just the casual eye-test, but lately he just seems to lose so many puck battles and containment in his own zone. There's a reason why his ice-time has plummeted.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I can definitely see what people are saying about our defense and it concerns me that Hughes and Myers are playing as much as they are and Tanev looks like he may no longer be a good top4 if he keeps this up. I dont get the same confidence from Benn that he could step up in a short term capacity like Hutton could and hold the fort. Stecher can do it and they may have to re work things soon if Tanev cannot pull up his socks.

Anyways what i came to say is that our top line and 3rd line have been simply awful out of the gate. When you look around the league and see what other teams top players are doing ours have been invisible and combined with our pre season you have to be a little/lot concerned. No matter how well our defense plays we have to be able to score goals and our top guys have to find ways to break through. So far so bad.

Travis Green is under fire now. This is his lineup and these are his systems and players. So far i'm not a fan of his lineup decisions. The decision to ice the 3rd line he has, the gifting of the 1st line LW to Ferland after doing nothing in pre season, cutting Baertschi instaed of Schaller or Eriksson who cannot skate at NHL speed anymore. Giving Leivo such a huge role in our top pp unit and demoting Horvat to a 2nd unit. I know its early but Hughes will be running the top unit in no time and this team lacks playmaking and creativity. I'm really disappointed that Gaudette Baertschi Virtanen is not our 3rd scoring unit with a shut down line with Sutter Leivo Beagle

Ironically the 2nd unit is much better IMO because Myers/Hughes just run the PP better than Edler

Reactions: sting101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad