Post-Game Talk: [GM 13] Canucks defeat Senators | 6-4 | Horvat (2), Mikheyev, OEL, Studnicka, & Pettersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Boeser may have lost his goal but he’s got a good ol’ secondary assist!
I got flamed Michael Jackson style on the NHL board for suggesting that we should move Boeser before other GM's realize that he has negative value but I stand by my comments.

If Rutherford is worried about cap space, Boeser is the guy you move. Sign Horvat and sign Kuzmenko. Move Garland as well if we need more cap space to sign Horvat and Kuzmenko. If we don't need to move BOTH of Garland and Boeser to sign Horvat and Kuzmenko then my suggestion is as follows:

1) Move one of Garland or Boeser for cap space
2) Move one of Garland or Boeser for a right-sided/right handed defenseman.....whichever one gets you a top 4 calibre.

@MS - Jesus dude you're like Drake on here, lol. You're a good poster and all, but I feel like you have an entourage (following?) of sorts on here. I think that's pretty cool.....and I'm a bit envious! :-p.

Well done man and I look forward to reading and responding to more of your posts.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
At this point, the only thing that matters is the W when you're going through a slump and battling fragile confidence.

The Canucks just need to worry about picking themselves up off of the mat (which they are slowly but surely doing).

They're fragile, but they're progressing.

They're stinking it up, but they're collecting points.

Worry about stylistic shit, advanced analytics, higher danger chances, etc., etc. when you're up off the mat and thriving.

For right now, it's just about survival. Get the win whatever way you can. Win ugly if you have to.
Totally agree..throughout all of the fracas, and finger pointing...In their last 6, they've quietly bagged 9 out of a possible 12 points .

Onto the next game..Hopefully, they'll have their legs at the start of tomorrow nights game.

Reactions: Indiana

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Totally agree..throughout all of the fracas, and finger pointing...In their last 6, they've quietly bagged 9 out of a possible 12 points .

Onto the next game..Hopefully, they'll have their legs at the start of tomorrow nights game.
I think they'll have a solid performance tomorrow.

They'll have the adrenaline with them.

Similar to the Pittsburgh game after they lost their virginity to Seattle.

I'm going to address the elephant in the room.

Nucks would have made the playoffs last year if Horvat hadn't gotten injured.

Nucks had won like 6 straight before Horvat got hurt, and then they ended up losing to Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo if I recall correctly (all of those teams were crapola last season).

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
True, but why not look at it from a half-glass full perspective?
Because we're not players on the team. It's important to maintain a sense of optimism to get through tough stretches - trick yourself into doing so if needed. But not when your attitude has no bearing on the outcome. When you're just an observer, you have the luxury to look at things as they are. And this season, it's been ugly. Slow, ugly retrievals in our own end, ugly turnovers, ugly starting goaltending, ugly puck-watching, ugly SH goals allowed, historically ugly PK.

It's been overwhelmingly Just. Ugly.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Didn’t get to watch a lot of the game tonight so don’t have much to say except that I don’t think OEL can skate at a NHL level anymore.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Guess it was entertaining but what an overall mess. Neither team could stick to any type of system for any length of time. Hard to believe how many gimmes Ottawa screwed up but the Gods were with the Canucks in this one. Might well be the better team didn't win this one.

Good

Horvat - getting to the net so well. Scored important goals in this one which kept team in the game. However, I don't see him on the PK. I get that he is all they got to win face offs, but he doesn't get pressure on the puck. All the good PKs get pressure on the puck. It's that simple. We sit back way too much and Horvat contributes to that.

Martin - one very suspect goal but if he's ordinary the Canucks have no chance. Was all they basically had in the second. First half of that period, Canucks might have looked the worse they have all season. And that's saying something

Scheen - solid game. Only d-man consistently getting people off the puck and keeping people out of the crease. At this point is likely our best d-man.

Garland - really based on his third period play were he was best forward. Hope he can sustain this.

Pettersson - often carrying his line in offensive and defensive zone. Too bad on the his second open net goal

Bad

Myers - wasn't keeping the play in front of him. Lurching out and overplaying situations letting people drift in behind him. Partly a problem of having different partners but in trying to do too much and constantly getting in problems. Passes out of his end were hurried an not accurate.

Podkolzin - looks nothing like the player from the end of last season. You wonder if he came into the season right. Looks like someone who has lost their confidence and is over-thinking things. Searching for a role on the team consistently out of sync with his line mates. Just have to hang in with him.

Kuzmenko - another still sorting things out. Couldn't get on the end of plays and often looked lost at in the mid ice and defensive end. Got benched at times but this did little but mix up the other lines, leading to more confusion

Others

Mikheyev -showed the potential people see with his goal but too often he fumbled with passes and stick work and blew other opportunities. Question has always been will he ever put it totally together. Talent is there but there has always been a 'but' with this player

Boeser - scored but too often still looks like he has trouble getting there. They talk about hand injury and such but that's pretty immaterial if he is not getting to the play

Bear - some good, some bad. In a few cases made the kind of miscue which has seen him get benched elsewhere.

Rathbone - thought his passing was good coming out of his end and play at offensive blue line effective. You wonder how banged up he is was after Tkchuk hit (maybe a suspension). Could be BB just didn't want him out in a close game. Don't see the harm in giving him some PP time and replacing Hughes.

Hughes - one thing not to like is Hughes's tendency to slow up play when the quick up pass is there. Creates real problems as the forwards are breaking and this creates a gap. Makes it so you can't attack as unit as Ottawa was doing early. Other thing is that any good team will jump on those gaps and use it to get odd man rushes. Could see at times, the good D toD pass to Hughes and then he slows and stick handles rather than moving it quickly up and then moving up to support the play. It just that Hughes is too much of individual at times. Also Hughes shot from the point was useless and he getting blocked all the time leading to chances against. Hughes started moving the puck better as the game went on but right now he is an overall problem for the team.

Studnicka - best game so far. Aman and him worked the forecheck fairly well and overcoming some poor decision making by Joshua.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Because we're not players on the team. It's important to maintain a sense of optimism to get through tough stretches - trick yourself into doing so if needed. But not when your attitude has no bearing on the outcome. When you're just an observer, you have the luxury to look at things as they are. And this season, it's been ugly. Slow, ugly retrievals in our own end, ugly turnovers, ugly starting goaltending, ugly puck-watching, ugly SH goals allowed, historically ugly PK.

It's been overwhelmingly Just. Ugly.
Agreed but it might be a slump........maybe not. They looked pretty good during their first road trip (with the exception of the Flyers game) but simply kept blowing multiple leads.....over, and over, and over, and over again. When stuff like that happens, it's obviously going to have a mental effect.

Are the Canucks a bad team or are they just fighting through confidence issues and mental obstacles?

Time will tell obviously. After playing pansy Montreal, they'll have a very tough stretch of hockey against good teams coming up.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
@Ruthervin also another point, a lot of the negativity does not just come from forum people, we wanna have a winning team, it’s also the the media, and even the president himself absolutely lambasting the team and coaching staff on the radio just yesterday.

You’re right, though, we should be a little more positive, I’ll try to be, but they have taken my soul recently

Why tho?

Why does being negative make you a bad fan or not a fan? Meanwhile I could spend more hours, more money, more energy than the positive poster but we look at negativity as if it makes us bad fans. We have every right to be negative. It’s been 50+ years without winning. We have never won. Almost every other franchise has a cup. We likely aren’t seeing one in our lifetimes. So in closing we have every right to be pessimistic

I got flamed Michael Jackson style on the NHL board for suggesting that we should move Boeser before other GM's realize that he has negative value but I stand by my comments.

If Rutherford is worried about cap space, Boeser is the guy you move. Sign Horvat and sign Kuzmenko. Move Garland as well if we need more cap space to sign Horvat and Kuzmenko. If we don't need to move BOTH of Garland and Boeser to sign Horvat and Kuzmenko then my suggestion is as follows:

1) Move one of Garland or Boeser for cap space
2) Move one of Garland or Boeser for a right-sided/right handed defenseman.....whichever one gets you a top 4 calibre.

@MS - Jesus dude you're like Drake on here, lol. You're a good poster and all, but I feel like you have an entourage (following?) of sorts on here. I think that's pretty cool.....and I'm a bit envious! :-p.

Well done man and I look forward to reading and responding to more of your posts.

The work garland does goes unnoticed. He was the sole reason BH53 scored his second goal.

Reactions: B-rock and bbud

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Why tho?

Why does being negative make you a bad fan or not a fan? Meanwhile I could spend more hours, more money, more energy than the positive poster but we look at negativity as if it makes us bad fans. We have every right to be negative. It’s been 50+ years without winning. We have never won. Almost every other franchise has a cup. We likely aren’t seeing one in our lifetimes. So in closing we have every right to be pessimistic

The work garland does goes unnoticed. He was the sole reason BH53 scored his second goal.
I'm a huge fan of Garland as well but in order to receive something of value, you have to give.

If the Canucks want a solid top 4 RD, Garland might be your best bargaining chip.

Hoglander doesn't get you that piece and Brock Boeser gets you Peter Pan at this juncture in his career.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Martin won the MVP belt twice now already this year. Dumpko 0. If we win the next game with TD in net does Martin still get to choose / give it to the next guy even tho he didn’t play?

Likely won’t have to worry about this scenario tho.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I'm a huge fan of Garland as well but in order to receive something of value, you have to give.

If the Canucks want a solid top 4 RD, Garland might be your best bargaining chip.

Hoglander doesn't get you that piece and Brock Boeser gets you Peter Pan at this juncture in his career.
Trade brock hes a good winger and honestly kuz makes him expensive and expendable

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Even if we had the #1 PP in the league statistically, I would hate it.

All the plays they attempt, all the setups, the entries, they're all terrible. It's like a competition between EP, Hughes and JT for who can commit the most egregious turnovers, without losing ppg status.

Reactions: bh53

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
You nailed. I absolutely love Kuzmenko.

Hope we find a way to keep him.

I'm saddened by what's happened to Brock but the dude is a lazy floater now. Hope he proves me wrong.
He has great hands but canucks need d hes one of realistic trade chips and the guys signed kuz and myk make him a spare part get that d man use a draft pick with him should be enough

Ethan Bear might be best move this season hits fights and some great d give him more time like what hes showed so far

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How did the Canucks win that hockey game? They basically put together a good 10-minute stretch in the third period and that was enough.

As for the rest of the game, the Sens will be having nightmares. They dominated possession; dominated the shot clock; and somehow found a way to miss a half dozen open nets. For two periods the Canucks looked slow, soft and handled the puck like a hand grenade.

Myers and OEL were skating in quicksand most of the night. In fact for the most part, most of the Canucks were slow to loose pucks; gave up the blueline easily on the rush; and almost gave the game away with third period penalties, which they just can't kill.

Two struggling teams which on the face of it, are going nowhere this year. But I guess somebody had to win.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
How did the Canucks win that hockey game? They basically put together a good 10-minute stretch in the third period and that was enough.

As for the rest of the game, the Sens will be having nightmares. They dominated possession; dominated the shot clock; and somehow found a way to miss a half dozen open nets. For two periods the Canucks looked slow, soft and handled the puck like a hand grenade.

Myers and OEL were skating in quicksand most of the night. In fact for the most part, most of the Canucks were slow to loose pucks; gave up the blueline easily on the rush; and almost gave the game away with third period penalties, which they just can't kill.

Two struggling teams which on the face of it, are going nowhere this year. But I guess somebody had to win.
Sometimes its all a team needs hang in there did they deserve it probably not but when it matters they showed up build on it they lost games they deserved better from too .

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
With a win tomorrow in Montreal, Canucks could hold the 2nd WC spot .

giphy.gif

Reactions: Indiana

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
This is the type of attitude from fans that allows the Aquilini's to get away with putting a garbage product on the ice year after year.

Some fans want more than mediocrity.

We want to celebrate our team winning a Stanley Cup. Not winning ugly.
When you're in a UFC fight, you have to get up off the mat when you get knocked down before you can start throwing strikes and/or generating offense. I don't want mediocrity. I also want to win a cup. During tough times however, you have to find a way to stay positive and look for silver linings. Get up off the mat.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
When you're in a UFC fight, you have to get up off the mat when you get knocked down before you can start throwing strikes and/or generating offense. I don't want mediocrity. I also want to win a cup. During tough times however, you have to find a way to stay positive and look for silver linings. Get up off the mat.
Dog, ufc championships have been won by guys striking from their backs.

Not to mention you can wrestle… Like literally some guys try to take it down to the mat are not amazing on their feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad