Post-Game Talk: [GM 13] Canucks defeat Senators | 6-4 | Horvat (2), Mikheyev, OEL, Studnicka, & Pettersson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Considering how bad this season has seemed, look, what is going on in St. Louis

View attachment 605335

Only scored more than two once and conceded 3+ in all 8. Wow.

---

Anyways, I said they would need to go 5-2 after the 0-5-2 start to get themselves remotely back in any conversations.

If they get a point tomorrow, they get to 10/14 point which is essentially the same thing.. That is just from a pure results standpoint.

From an evaluation on what we are actually seeing past the results standpoint, none of these games have inspired confidence except for Pittsburgh. It's to the point where it feels virtually identical to what we saw early in the season. I don't think this is disputable either. No one seems to be playing particularly different than they were two weeks ago except for maybe a marginal uptick from OEL over the last few games.

Mikheyev's skating looked back today. His results were already impressive going into the game but now that his skating sharpness looks to be back, I wonder what more he can do this season.

Horvat has been going and it is insane the criticism he gets from the scattering of Benning bros when he's bad but an inability to assess what he provides.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
That being said, nine out of 12 points is pretty amazing considering how we played for the most part, our offence is completely holding this team up.🔥

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Canucks win the game tonight and 70% of the comments in this thread are negative?

"we won against bottom feeders"

"Pittsburgh is the only good team we've beaten" (btw, anyone look at where Seattle is in the standings?)

I dunno........

I do love a lot of posters on here but I'm just not sure if I can relate to many from a hockey standpoint. :-/

To each their own though. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Canucks deserve a boat load of criticism this year, don't get me wrong, but you have to celebrate the good times and victories whenever they occur. Maybe I'm wrong?

9 of last 12 possible points.
Did you watch the game? They played like complete garbage for 45 out of 60 minutes.

They will never male the playoffs with efforts like this.

They barely squeak out wins against the Ducks and Senators. We saw what happened when they faced quality teams like New Jersey and Carolina.

The only way for the team to take a step forward is to lose a lot and force a shake-up of the core.

Wins like this aren't anything to be proud of.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Oh quiet you! A few nights ago you posted “Canucks are up 3-0 and all the posts are negative!” and that turned out swimmingly.

People should take away that this was a very ugly win. That the majority of their wins this year have been ugly.
Lol that is true........but hey, we won tonight! And even in that last game, we got one point eh? 9 of the last 12? No?

It was an ugly win for sure, but we've at least graduated from losing ugly to winning ugly.

Baby steps.

This team is a fragile bunch right now but they've now gone 4-1-1 over the last 6. As a fragile bunch right now fighting, that's the only thing that they should be thinking about right now. 4-1-1, 9 of 12 points, still within playoff range.

Half-glass approach my friend.

Not only serves you well in hockey but in life. Why drown yourself in negativity when you can choose to fight and look for ways to persevere and get ahead?

Just my view.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
@Ruthervin also another point, a lot of the negativity does not just come from forum people, we wanna have a winning team, it’s also the the media, and even the president himself absolutely lambasting the team and coaching staff on the radio just yesterday.

You’re right, though, we should be a little more positive, I’ll try to be, but they have taken my soul recently

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Strange game. Was almost an exact reversal of the Nashville game - where we badly outplayed the Predators for 35 minutes and then lost - until the last 10 minutes got weird.

Defensively absolutely horrible for the first 30 minutes. A repeat of the Seattle game in that respect, which they also won - bizarre that this team has won their two worst 40-minute performances this year and lost their 5 best.

- Horvat is doing his best to put the team on his back. He's obviously on a scoring streak but is also playing some of the best two-way hockey of his career. Worked his ass off in this game.

- much better performance for Garland also, looked lively, created ES offense.

- Podkolzin continues to struggle badly. Rough night despite both his linemates playing well. Mental mistakes keep happening. Hard to believe this is the same player who was breaking out at the end of last season.

- Pettersson line was fairly quiet, but Pettersson still picked up a couple points which is the mark of a top player. Kuzmenko had I thought his weakest game of the year. Mikheyev continues to be a solid pickup - now 8 points, +8 in his last 8 games.

- Miller line looked slow and struggled defensively. Looks like Boeser has now had his goal taken away and awarded to OEL.

- Studnicka played his best game. Doesn't look like he'll make a huge impact but unlike the 'Benning age gap' guys he looks like a guy whose skillset fits a depth role. Skates well, works hard, looks well-coached. If he keeps this up he'll be a useful depth player.

- Tyler Myers. FML. Playing even worse than he did in the bubble. Just atrocious. Could have been directly responsible for 4 or 5 goals tonight but Martin saved his ass constantly.

- Ethan Bear played probably his worst game so far but it still wasn't bad, and Rathbone isn't easy to play with.

- Rathbone ... man. You want him to play but then you understand when he's scratched. He's better than Stillman, but for a skill defender he panics far too easily with the puck on his stick in his own zone. Not composed when facing a forecheck.

- thought Schenn was our best defender and was the one guy holding things together. Did some very good PK work. Also beat the crap out of Austin Watson.

- Martin allowed a couple weak goals but made a lot of huge saves and was overall a positive. This game could have got out of hand early.

Without the bizarre run of early blown leads and Demko's surprisingly poor play, this is shaping up similar to expected. Team can score - 5th in the NHL offensively now - but defensively is obviously weak. We're going to see a lot of high-scoring games ... people will either enjoy the action or pull their hair out over the problems defensively.

Crazily the team is only 2 points out of a playoff spot when you adjust for GP.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Lol that is true........but hey, we won tonight! And even in that last game, we got one point eh? 9 of the last 12? No?

It was an ugly win for sure, but we've at least graduated from losing ugly to winning ugly.

Baby steps.

This team is a fragile bunch right now but they've now gone 4-1-1 over the last 6. As a fragile bunch right now fighting, that's the only thing that they should be thinking about right now. 4-1-1, 9 of 12 points, still within playoff range.

Half-glass approach my friend.

Not only serves you well in hockey but in life. Why drown yourself in negativity when you can choose to fight and look for ways to persevere and get ahead?

Just my view.
This is the type of attitude from fans that allows the Aquilini's to get away with putting a garbage product on the ice year after year.

Some fans want more than mediocrity.

We want to celebrate our team winning a Stanley Cup. Not winning ugly.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Did you watch the game? They played like complete garbage for 45 out of 60 minutes.

They barely squeak out wins against the Ducks and Senators. We saw what happened when they faced quality teams like New Jersey and Carolina.

The only way for the team to take a step forward is to lose a lot and force a shake-up of the core.

I watched the 3rd period but missed the first two.

Yes, they played ugly during the first 60 minutes but a few weeks ago, that would have been a blow out loss.

Small improvements. Crawling now that they've gotten off the mat.

They've had terrible 3rd periods for most of this season. Tonight was not one of them......and hey, we didn't blow a lead! (although we certainly wanted to it seems :-p).

9 of 12 points. 4-1-1. Still within playoff range.

Hold onto whatever silver linings you can while you're working your way through a slump.

Just my view.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

This isn’t a serious team.

Burn it down.

Reactions: Diogenes92

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Strange game. Was almost an exact reversal of the Nashville game - where we badly outplayed the Predators for 35 minutes and then lost - until the last 10 minutes got weird.

Defensively absolutely horrible for the first 30 minutes. A repeat of the Seattle game in that respect, which they also won - bizarre that this team has won their two worst 40-minute performances this year and lost their 5 best.

- Horvat is doing his best to put the team on his back. He's obviously on a scoring streak but is also playing some of the best two-way hockey of his career. Worked his ass off in this game.

- much better performance for Garland also, looked lively, created ES offense.

- Podkolzin continues to struggle badly. Rough night despite both his linemates playing well. Mental mistakes keep happening. Hard to believe this is the same player who was breaking out at the end of last season.

- Pettersson line was fairly quiet, but Pettersson still picked up a couple points which is the mark of a top player. Kuzmenko had I thought his weakest game of the year. Mikheyev continues to be a solid pickup - now 8 points, +8 in his last 8 games.

- Miller line looked slow and struggled defensively. Looks like Boeser has now had his goal taken away and awarded to OEL.

- Studnicka played his best game. Doesn't look like he'll make a huge impact but unlike the 'Benning age gap' guys he looks like a guy whose skillset fits a depth role. Skates well, works hard, looks well-coached. If he keeps this up he'll be a useful depth player.

- Tyler Myers. FML. Playing even worse than he did in the bubble. Just atrocious. Could have been directly responsible for 4 or 5 goals tonight but Martin saved his ass constantly.

- Ethan Bear played probably his worst game so far but it still wasn't bad, and Rathbone isn't easy to play with.

- Rathbone ... man. You want him to play but then you understand when he's scratched. He's better than Stillman, but for a skill defender he panics far too easily with the puck on his stick in his own zone. Not composed when facing a forecheck.

- thought Schenn was our best defender and was the one guy holding things together. Did some very good PK work. Also beat the crap out of Austin Watson.

- Martin allowed a couple weak goals but made a lot of huge saves and was overall a positive. This game could have got out of hand early.

Without the bizarre run of early blown leads and Demko's surprisingly poor play, this is shaping up similar to expected. Team can score - 5th in the NHL offensively now - but defensively is obviously weak. We're going to see a lot of high-scoring games ... people will either enjoy the action or pull their hair out over the problems defensively.

Crazily the team is only 2 points out of a playoff spot when you adjust for GP.
Didn't mind Podkolzin's game. He was charging into the zone constantly, freeing up the puck for Garland and Horvat. Podkolzin and Garland play well together.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Will take the win and that was an exciting 3rd period.

I've been pretty critical about where this team is over the last few weeks. I think I'm just going to take a break from that here and just see where this team is at in around 2-3 weeks. This next stretch of 8-10 games will give a really good indication of where they are at overall, so until then will sit back and see what happens.

This is an insane start for Horvat. Good for him to cash in here.

Reactions: Indiana and Peen

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
@Ruthervin also another point, a lot of the negativity does not just come from forum people, we wanna have a winning team, it’s also the the media, and even the president himself absolutely lambasting the team and coaching staff on the radio just yesterday.

You’re right, though, we should be a little more positive, I’ll try to be, but they have taken my soul recently
I honestly don't know what's wrong with our media in this city.

I'll comment on Rutherford a little later if I have time, but man...........when your team is struggling and is fragile, what's the point of kicking them when they're down? (I'll also admit that I was feeling very down after the Buffalo loss and went on here and claimed that we should blow it up, etc., but I acted out of emotion).

Canucks have what? 11 points? Had they been able to hold onto even half of their multiple goal leads, we'd have around 17-18 points and would be in the top 1/3rd of the league. Maybe we will see evidence of this as the season progresses?

Nucks have irritated me as well this season, don't get me wrong. I just don't understand what being insanely negative accomplishes.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
It’s because 70% of the comments that were negative. We’re in the first two periods where the team honestly looked just awful.
True, but why not look at it from a half-glass full perspective?

Usually, we look good during the first 40 minutes and then stink it up in the 3rd and lose. Today, we were outplayed during the first 40 minutes but then dominated and won the 3rd......without blowing a lead?

You know what that smells like?

Progression my friend. Progression.

A journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step.

4-1-1 over the last 6.

9 of 12 points.

Still within Wildcard contention.

Pettersson and Horvat are amongst the best players in the NHL. Kuzmenko is a swell guy as well.

Our PP is elite once again.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I honestly don't know what's wrong with our media in this city.

I'll comment on Rutherford a little later if I have time, but man...........when your team is struggling and is fragile, what's the point of kicking them when they're down? (I'll also admit that I was feeling very down after the Buffalo loss and went on here and claimed that we should blow it up, etc., but I acted out of emotion).

Canucks have what? 11 points? Had they been able to hold onto even half of their multiple goal leads, we'd have around 17-18 points and would be in the top 1/3rd of the league. Maybe we will see evidence of this as the season progresses?

Nucks have irritated me as well this season, don't get me wrong. I just don't understand what being insanely negative accomplishes.

I'm a bit baffled by how the media didn't say a peep about Benning for nearly 8 years despite what was obviously some of the most incompetent management in NHL history but have given this new group so little time before generally freaking out.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm a bit baffled by how the media didn't say a peep about Benning for nearly 8 years despite what was obviously some of the most incompetent management in NHL history but have given this new group so little time before generally freaking out.
I mean they posted a poll asking if this management group is more, forgot the exact words but like misorganized compared to Benning and 50+% thinks so. Like wtf???

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
I'm not entirely sure if I agree with this. After we lost to the Flames in 2015 and had that off-season, I think the media here was pretty critical of Benning and friends.

The Sutter deal. The Gudbranson deal. Keep Sbisa and moving Bieksa. Yada Yada.

Maybe my memory is fading but it seems like there was this huge war between the Advanced Analytics crew (many of which are media members such as Thomas Drance, JD Burke, etc.), and the "old guard dinosaur crew" that placed a huge emphasis on intangibles and culture (likely going overboard on this). Seems like this war raged heavily between the two diametrically opposed sides between 2015-2020 whether it was radio, twitter, message boards, or wherever.

Why do you feel that the media was relatively quiet about Benning during most of this tenure here? I think he got a bit of a free pass his 1st year here (although the Kesler deal and Ryan Miller signing probably raised a few eyebrows), but he was a lightning rod for criticism from the 2015 summer onwards imo.

Last edited:

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
I'm glad they won..but boy oh boy..The first half of that game was probably the worst hockey I've seen the Canucks play all year....They looked anemic..especially the first period.
At this point, the only thing that matters is the W when you're going through a slump and battling fragile confidence.

The Canucks just need to worry about picking themselves up off of the mat (which they are slowly but surely doing).

They're fragile, but they're progressing.

They're stinking it up, but they're collecting points.

Worry about stylistic shit, advanced analytics, high danger chances, etc., etc. when you're up off the mat and thriving.

For right now, it's just about survival. Get the win whatever way you can. Win ugly if you have to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad