WWE: Global Cruiserweight Series coming to Network on July 13

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Isn't Ricocet like mortally against ever joining WWE?

Of course, things do change.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
Nah you must be thinking of someone else. He'd be there already if they didn't reject him the first time

The WWE has said they're going to have qualifiers for this tournament. These matches are going to take place in various indy shows, so that's some nice promoting going on (both for the WWE and the indies). EVOLVE is getting some (who WWE already work with), and PROGRESS (UK promotion) announced today that they're going to have a couple of them too. I'd expect that more will be announced as we go.

EVOLVE already works with the WWE, so that's not surprising they'll be involved, but for PROGRESS to get some really is awesome. HHH has name dropped them a few times, so I'm gonna assume he's a fan, or at least Regal is and feeds him lines.

Yeah Rev Pro just announced they'll be a part of it too. I think those were the 3 companies HHH mentioned in the press stuff he did at the time.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Isn't Ricocet like mortally against ever joining WWE?

Of course, things do change.
Nah.

Ricochet was almost signed, but he was rejected as they already had Neville and Kalisto under contract filling the roll he'd have. It was a bad move retrospectively, but there you go.

The only thing with him and this tournament is going to be his contract with Lucha Underground. That contract locks him out of TV in america for the duration of the show, so he just can't work with WWE right now.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Some names have been confirmed:

Rich Swann, Zack Sabre Jr., Ciampa, Noam Dar, Gargano, Ho Ho Lun, Akira Tozawa.

I hoped Noam Dar would get a spot, so great to see him get one. Sabre was a given to be there, and is my pick to win it all.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
We've gotten some details on the qualifying matches now. These will take play in PROGRESS (April 24th show) and EVOLVE (May 7th show). Link and Link.

EVOLVE:
Dew Gulak or Tracy Williams
Fred Yehi vs TJ Perkins

PROGRESS:
Zack Sabre Jr. or Flash Morgan Webster
Jack Gallagher or Pete Dunne

In the articles they give a list of guys already in the tournament:
Rich Swann
Johnny Gargano
Tommaso Ciampa
Noam Dar
Akira Tozawa
Ho Ho Lun
Lince Dorado

This is a bit different from the list we had before. We've added Lince Dorado, and Sabre Jr. is now in a qualifier match (which I'm sure he'll win). So that's 11 of the 32 spots filled.

I'm surprised Matt Riddle didn't get a spot in the EVOLVE matches. I like him, and WWE would have signed him to NXT already if he didn't have the two MMA drug test failures for marijuana. WWE actually got him his spot in EVOVLE after he had a try out with them, with what I assume is a "stay clean and be good, then we'll sign you" kind of thing.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I am impressed that WWE found Ho Ho Lum.
He is as obscure as it gets...
As he wrestles in Hong Kong.

WWE is not letting any stone left unturned for this one.
Well done.
:clap:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
And another UK qualifier, this time with RevPro.

Noam Dar vs Josh Bodom.

Dar was announced before as a qualified guy, so they've gone back on him just like Sabre. So I guess the winners of those two matches are already known lol.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The qualifier matches as PROGRESS happened today, Zack Sabre Jr. and Jack Gallagher are the winners.

The list:
Rich Swann
Johnny Gargano
Tommaso Ciampa
Akira Tozawa
Ho Ho Lun
Lince Dorado
Zack Sabre Jr.
Jack Gallagher

Qualifying matches:
Noam Dar vs Josh Bodom - RevPro, May 1st
Drew Gulak vs Tracy Williams - EVOLVE, May 7th
Fred Yehi vs TJ Perkins - EVOLVE, May 7th

Last edited:

jbell886

Sep 6, 2009
All 32 names released

* Kota Ibushi
* Tajiri
* Gran Metalik
* Zack Sabre Jr.
* Noam Dar
* Da Mack
* Zumbi
* Clement Petiot
* Harv Sihra
* Gurv Sihra
* Fabian Aichner
* Brian Kendrick
* Rich Swann
* Cedric Alexander
* Akira Tozawa
* Jack Gallagher
* Tony Nese
* Johnny Gargano
* Tommaso Ciampa
* Ho Ho Lun
* TJ Perkins
* Drew Gulak
* Anthony Bennett
* Tyson Dux
* Lince Dorado
* Sean Malura
* Raul Mendoza
* Kenneth Johnson
* Alejandro Saez
* Damien Slater
* Ariya Daivari (brother of former WWE star)
* Jason Lee

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I am also surprised to see Tajiri's name there...
But there are some interesting names.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I think the interesting bit is that Almas/La Sombra isn't taking part.

Originally this tournament was going to be used to debut him and give him a launching pad, but they've just debuted him on NXT TV early. This makes predicting the winner much more interesting... Actually it doesn't, Sabre Jr. is gonna win it all \o/.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
Ibushi/ZSJ is too obvious for the final right?

depends on if they want to do the best tournament possible or if they want to use the tournament to push someone. if it's the later, I'd argue Swann vs Gargano is probably more likely...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad