Give it 20

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
You have to win the next 4 to be over 0.500

It's not like the Oilers are losing close, 1 goal games and therefore simply not getting the bounces. They look like they've never practiced as a team ever. By the looks of it, 20 games is a nail in the coffin.

@OP - How are you not on the fire Lowe side of the fence?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
There is no proof to indicate that the team will improve anytime soon. I have never seen a team this bad defensively and we have all watched this team for 8 years trying to rebuild, this looks to be the worst group defensively. How could they be getting worse? On paper they should be a little bit better than last year. All of a sudden we implement an aggressive game where the D men are constantly pinching all the time, no matter what the situation. They got scored on a breakaway on a penalty kill, think about how bad that is, you don't even see that kind of crap in junior hockey.

What exactly are they trying to do? The 80's are over, the game is not played on one end of the ice, though i guess in the oilers case it is, mostly in their end. How come nobody is communicating on the bench? Fans complained about Renney and Krueger but at least they talked to the players during the game, there was some kind of dialogue going on.

At this point any coach would be better than this group. The thing i am worried about the most is Mac T going back behind the bench, that would be a nightmare.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
What on earth makes you think that this current group of players/coaches/management can turn this team around?

We are awful. We have no centre depth. Our wingers can't be bothered to play defence. Our defence can't even be bothered to play defence. Our goaltending looks questionable, and the only guy that looked good is hurt. Our coaching is inept and we look like we don't belong in the nhl.

We tried this exact formula last year. Go into the season weak up the middle and with questions everywhere else in the line up. Seriously, we went into last season with Arco, Gagner, and Gordon as our top 3 centres with RNH injured. This year we think we can inject a 18 yr old kid into our centre group and think that it's better. Now we have Arco, Drai, and Gordon as our centres with RNH hurt hahahha

We just did this 12 months ago and its the same thing.

Get rid of Eakins now before he does more damage. Get rid of Lowe and Mact while your at it. Enough is enough.

The only guy that looks good is Hall and he's still healthy (cross fingers).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sorry, but I disagree. You can't afford the risk of giving these guys 20.

We did that last year and were essentially eliminated from the playoffs with only 4 wins.

You can't waste another year waiting to see if this coaching staff can get these guys to perform. They very clearly cannot. They very clearly need to be fired. Waiting until game 20 will just be throwing another year away.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I will be the first to admit that start of this season has been very dis heartening, but, it is still just 4 games. Scrivens has been horrible but I think will get his game together. If the oilers are in the bottom 5 teams after 20 I will officially switch to the fire Lowe side of the fence. Let some one new in, clean house, out with Eakins and Lowe.

But, lets give it 20, it is just to soon to over react.

lets see what happens in the next 7 games

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
The only guy that looks good is Hall and he's still healthy (cross fingers).

I didn't make it as clear as I meant to that i was speaking specifically about our two goaltenders. Hall has looked okay. Better the past two games. His first two were bad. I think our best forwards have been RNH and Yakupov. Purcell has been a nice surprise as well.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
Either go with
Hall-Nuge-Yak
Poliout-Arco-Eberle

Or.

Hall-Arco-Eberle
Poliout-Nuge-Yak

Gives draistl much easier job and can even send him down and find a stop gap centre

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Screw waiting 20 games. 22+ GA in 4 games combined with an entire season of suck last year is enough for me.

Eakins should have been fired a year ago. The fact that he hasn't is just exhibit #3046 of why Lowe and MacT need to be put to pasture.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I give the team 10. I've already lost interest.
Eakins, who I've supported, should be gone if we lose the next one at home.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Either go with
Hall-Nuge-Yak
Poliout-Arco-Eberle

Or.

Hall-Arco-Eberle
Poliout-Nuge-Yak

Gives draistl much easier job and can even send him down and find a stop gap centre

You can't just change the lines around man. This team is infected with something toxic.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
By the time it reaches 20, our GA will probably be over 80+, oh and we'll be top 5 mcdavid/eichel. No thanks.

Chain Attack

Aug 15, 2006
The oilers can't waste another 20 games like they did last season. Heck they can't afford a 4 game slump to begin the year. I'm predicting a 2-4-1 homestand with a new coach by the end of it.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Let me put things into perspective:
We are the 3rd most inept franchise in NHL history (tie).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_droughts#Post-season_appearance_droughts_2

Next season will make us the 2nd worst managed franchise in the history of the NHL.

Do you honestly expect the one of the worst brain trusts in NHL history to get us through this?

That is mind blowing. Forgive the contradiction but when you step away emotionally from this wreckage of an organization/team, you really feel it and see the actual picture. You feel ashamed to be a part of it, and then you feel bad on the national league level where you see a team that has no business being in the nhl. Then you realize it's your team. Then you realize that you're that guy. The guy whose team is the worst modern day team by a wide margin. You remember your championship roots, your tough luck 90s and grinder 2000s...then you see this.

Anyway 20 games? Why? They've had a lot of time since last season to improve. 10 games should be more than enough to decide Eakins' future here. My bold prediction is that if he finishes the first 10 games below .500 he will be fired.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
I will be the first to admit that start of this season has been very dis heartening, but, it is still just 4 games. Scrivens has been horrible but I think will get his game together. If the oilers are in the bottom 5 teams after 20 I will officially switch to the fire Lowe side of the fence. Let some one new in, clean house, out with Eakins and Lowe.

If you give them 20 you give them 82. They should get this homestand, if they don't get at least 7 pts out of 14, fire everybody. Lowe, mact, Eakins, chabot, everyone.

I've been a proponent of patience for a long time but I've reached the end of my rope.

Last edited:

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
Sure, this team has been the exact same dysfunctional gongshow for the last 9 bloody years, but yeah, another 20 games could really see a turnaround.

[Editors note: please recognize the heavy amounts of implied sarcasm in the above statement]

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
"Give Eakins until Nov, it's a new coach and team!", "Give Eakins a break until Mactavish gets a goaltender, it's all Dubynk's fault!", "give Eakins the rest of the year, we are really seeing progress even though they are losing most of their games!", "give Eakins another year, he didn't get a fair chance with the roster he had last year!"

The Oilers were out of the playoff race for good by the 15 game mark last year, and now they are on pace to do worse than that this year and we should give him 20 games?

lol

Just say no to keeping around idiots who have already conclusively proven they are colossal failures.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
We already need to go 42-27-9 to get to 94 points and a better than 50% shot at the playoffs.

With every loss, that mountain gets bigger.

Wholesale changes NOW! Screw waiting another 10 games. Best thing that could happen to this franchise is a 7-0 drubbing tonight at the hands of the Canucks.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
We already need to go 42-27-9 to get to 94 points and a better than 50% shot at the playoffs.

With every loss, that mountain gets bigger.

Wholesale changes NOW! Screw waiting another 10 games. Best thing that could happen to this franchise is a 7-0 drubbing tonight at the hands of the Canucks.

Agreed. I never like for the Oilers to lose but 'its always darkest before the dawn'. Ramsay finishing the year or getting Renney to come back would be some sunlight.

I wish we could get back to the days when we would win some blow out games or be in close games. At least in the past it appeared we were making baby steps in the right direction. We're completely lost now.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
It's been 86 games. 82 from last season and 4 from this season. So let's cut the "it's only been 4 games" bull ****, because it's dishonest and just not true. I've seen enough.

But don't worry; you'll get your 20 games (at least) anyway, because this team is led by a bunch of idiots who don't deserve their positions, from the top (Lowe) on down.

I haven't seen any progress. Show me the progress. Where is the progress after 86 ****ing games? We're actually allowing MORE goals than last year after 4 games with--on paper--better defensemen and better goalies. There is no progress. Look as hard as anyone wants, you wont find any. Reason enough to fire this walking mirage of lies, arrogance and deceit. You got fooled, MacT. Own it, fire his ass, and move on. Jesus Christ. Be a man and man up!

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
You have to win the next 4 to be over 0.500

It's not like the Oilers are losing close, 1 goal games and therefore simply not getting the bounces. They look like they've never practiced as a team ever. By the looks of it, 20 games is a nail in the coffin.

@OP - How are you not on the fire Lowe side of the fence?

Well, it would've been nice if Eakins used a couple pre-season games with the actual starting lineup playing together, so they could get things going before the season started. But that makes too much sense, and Eakins is the most arrogant idiot I've ever seen in my life.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Meh, make a change now, after 20, at the end of year or don't make any changes. Don't really care anymore.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Over react? We're giving up 5 goals/game and we have lost 3 of those 4 games to teams that we have a good chance of beating (CGY, VAN, ARZ). Do you think we're magically going to get better?lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad