Giroux vs Pettersson (This year only)

More points this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
EP is unfortunately going to face a lot of criticism this year when he doesn’t live over to last years hype.
G, the most underrated player of the last decade, will out score him by 20 points.
I wouldnt call him underrated because he is shit in playoffs.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I'm going Pettersson as don't see him regressing but being even better this coming season. Giroux is turning 32 in January I see him starting to slow down but then again he had career year just 2 seasons ago. Still I'm taking Pettersson he just seems special to me and the PP hopefully really boosts his numbers this year.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
EP has some way to go before reaching Girouxs level. Also. I dont think EP is surrounded with that kind of talent atm.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Giroux will put up 95-100
EP will put up 60-70

This poll being made is a disrespect to Giroux.

EP will have 70-80 points this year IMO especially if the higher scoring pace of last year holds up

Still Grioux tho

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
One inflated playoff season when he has 69 GP? How long was that playoff season?
In one playoffs 5 years ago he scored 1.7PPG

His last three years he has been well under PPG despite being a 90-100p player in regular season.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In one playoffs 5 years ago he scored 1.7PPG

His last three years he has been well under PPG despite being a 90-100p player in regular season.

Those 3 playoffs span 6 seasons and are only 3 series. In 13-14 he had 6 points in 7 games, so it's really only the last two series he's been poor and in 15-16 he was playing through a hip injury and sports hernia that both needed surgery after the season, so the only real damning playoffs is his poor performance in 17-18, which is also the only year of the three he was a "90-100" point player. It's also imprudent to focus on small samples.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
If Giroux doesn't have to play ~20 games at center he could very well push for 100 points again, especially with this improved defense.

This is really not fair for Pettersson because he doesn't have a player like Couturier to dig and grind in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Sasso09

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Yeah because of one inflated playoff season. His last two has been abmysal.

1 point and 3 points.

And each time the team was straight up outmatched or had a key injury that forced G to do all the heavy lifting in the defensive zone. When you have to be on the ice for every critical D-zone draw or PK, then you're just not going to be fresh whenever you do happen to get some prime O-zone time.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
As far as fantasy value, Giroux's floor is probably 70 points with an upper limit of 100 points. Pettersson is going to be a stud but his floor and ceiling for the season are probably lower because sophomore slumps are real. I could see anywhere from 60 to 90 points for Pettersson.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Canucks fan voting G. You have to give the benefit of the doubt to the guy that's done it before, and as much as I love Petey, he still has a lot to prove.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As far as fantasy value, Giroux's floor is probably 70 points with an upper limit of 100 points. Pettersson is going to be a stud but his floor and ceiling for the season are probably lower because sophomore slumps are real. I could see anywhere from 60 to 90 points for Pettersson.

In the past 4 seasons Giroux hit below 70 points twice. Not sure why thats his floor.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
In the past 4 seasons Giroux hit below 70 points twice. Not sure why thats his floor.
To start, my ceiling and floor is based on an 82 game season. Giroux has been below a 70 point pace one time in the past 9 seasons (67 points in 78 games is a 70 point pace and that season he was dealing with a sports hernia all year). The one season he was below 70 points was the season after his hip/hernia surgery which takes while to recover from. It's the same surgery that Getzlaf had when he had a 57 point season after 4 consecutive PPG+ seasons and then bounced right back to have 2 more PPG+ seasons right after it. There's also the fact that league wide scoring is up nearly a half a goal a game since then. His switch to wing has also pretty clearly opened up his offensive game and brought life back to him. I guess it's possible that Giroux falls off a cliff and goes from an 85 point player to a 60 point player but I just don't see it. I guess it's also possible that Pettersson hits a sophomore slump and scores under 60 points but my floor/ceiling is more based on realistic expectations not assuming injuries and missed games. Technically every players floor is 0 points but barring an injury I would be shocked to see Giroux in the 60s this season the same way I would be shocked to see Pettersson under 60. I also said Giroux's ceiling is 100 points. He had over 100 points just 2 years ago but oddly enough, I don't see you mentioning that his ceiling should be higher.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad