Giordano's knee on knee (?) on Koivu (upd: suspended 2 games)

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007

1. It's not often that you get a 5' 9" 187 lb player called a goon. My my... goon standards certainly have dropped in the past few years since Lucic came into the league. BTW, Lucic is 6' 3" 231 lbs. Now THATS a goon!
Need only look at his PIM stats throughout his career to notice a trend. I know, I know, that does take an exhausting amount of research. Get kicked out of a game for instigating a fight late? Probably a goon. I'm assuming you think Peters sent him over the boards to score another insurance goal in that situation?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Need only look at his PIM stats throughout his career to notice a trend. I know, I know, that does take an exhausting amount of research. Get kicked out of a game for instigating a fight late? Probably a goon. I'm assuming you think Peters sent him over the boards to score another insurance goal in that situation?
I have no idea what Peters intentions were.. and neither do you.
I do know however that Lomberg was just standing up for a team mate, one of the Flames better players, who was just concussed by Dumba on a questionable hit of which there was no need for so late in the game and down 2-0.
If that had happened to one of your teams players you would expect nothing less also.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I do know however that Lomberg was just standing up for a team mate, one of the Flames better players, who was just concussed by Dumba on a questionable hit of which there was no need for so late in the game and down 2-0.
If that had happened to one of your teams players you would expect nothing less also.
You're either lying to yourself, or have zero understanding of the game.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Eh seemed more like an “Oh shit I’m out of position and need to try slow this guy down,” more than a malicious intent to injure. Still, a knee is a knee and it’s dangerous. 2 games seems fair.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

Throughout his career? :laugh:

Last season Lomberg had 3 fighting majors, this season no penalties before this game. Small sample size if anything

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It doesn't take a mind reader to understand a line change.
Just to dial it back a bit...

is it possible that Peters sent Lomberg out hoping he would exact revenge on Dumbass? Yes.
Do I know for certain that was his intention? No
Do I think Peters told Lomberg to go out and try to hurt Dumbass? No
Am I glad that Lomberg did what he did? Yes
Do I think Dumbass's hit on Backlund was clean? Questionable and there's certainly room for debate.
Do I think that type of hit was necessary? No. Not with 53 seconds left in the game and Minnesota losing 2-0. The hit was meant to punish. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: Kahvi

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Absolutely I would of expected someone to do that, but I would also understand the suspension.

I have no problem with what lomberg did.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

is it possible that Peters sent Lomberg out hoping he would exact revenge on Dumbass? Yes.
Do I think Dumbass's hit on Backlund was clean? Questionable and there's certainly room for debate.
Do I think the that type of hit was necessary? No. Not with 53 seconds left in the game and Minnesota losing 2-0. The hit was meant to punish. Mission accomplished.
Like I said, you're lying to yourself. I'm a Wild fan and I have zero problem with Peters/Lomberg doing what they did. But man up a bit and own it.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Do I think that type of hit was necessary? No. Not with 53 seconds left in the game and Minnesota losing 2-0. The hit was meant to punish. Mission accomplished.

Wait, do you actually think they should just stop playing in the last minute if there's a two goal lead? I would understand this line of thinking if it was a blowout but 2 goals in a minute isn't unheard of by any means, whereas letting Backlund go for the empty netter would be a loss for sure.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Yes i do, been watching the game for over 20 years and was around when the Bryan Marchments of the league roamed.

In the gif I provided, Matt Cooke extends his leg out to make knee on knee contact. That’s what the rule is stating. Giordano phyisically straightens his leg to trip Koivu who got up on his own power afterwards. If it was truly a knee on knee he would’ve been writhing in pain afterwards. Even your beat writer Michael Russo calls it a shin on shin. You’re just angry about the shutout loss, personally I would just shift my thoughts towards beating the Oilers tonight.
What about the pic that clearly shows knee on knee?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Really? With the state DoPS has always been in, that's what you're going with?
Yes. In my heart I don't believe that Giordano is a dirty player. He's an extremely competitive player, a tough player who hates to lose, but a dirty player? No.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wait, do you actually think they should just stop playing in the last minute if there's a two goal lead? I would understand this line of thinking if it was a blowout but 2 goals in a minute isn't unheard of by any means, whereas letting Backlund go for the empty netter would be a loss for sure.
No but there are hits and then there are HITS. There was no need for Dumbass to drive upwards into Backlund like he did. It was a punishment hit done to exact revenge.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Like I said, you're lying to yourself. I'm a Wild fan and I have zero problem with Peters/Lomberg doing what they did. But man up a bit and own it.
I thought I did but obviously not to your satisfaction. Sorry. Don't know what else to say.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yes. In my heart I don't believe that Giordano is a dirty player. He's an extremely competitive player, a tough player who hates to lose, but a dirty player? No.

so intentionally kneeing people multiple times means you're a competitive player who hates to lose

got it

Reactions: Spazkat

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You're doing no such thing when you're trying to let Peters off the hook.
As I said before I can't read minds. I cannot say for certain what Peters intentions were. Neither can you. Is there a strong possibility that Peters did what you insist he did? Yes. However only Peters knows for certain.

Anyways this argument we are having is an argument over semantics. The end result is what matters. Lomberg was suspended and Peters was fined. Both righteousness consequences.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
so intentionally kneeing people multiple times means you're a competitive player who hates to lose

got it

I'd like to see those intentional knees listed here. Emphasis on intentional, because I'm sure intentional kneeing ends ups with suspension

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

got it
Yes. Four occurances (and I stongly disagree with the "intentional" part) in 14 years as a professional hockey player does not indicate a pattern. Also in all those incidents the DoPS only fined or suspended Gio once... This last time.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
What a pansy sport hockey has become. Every little incident gets penalized these days and its taking a ton of the passion and excitement out of the game. 15-20+ years ago it use to be that you watched replays of big hits because they were awesome and spectacular, but now you watch replays of hits so that you can analyse them to death as to whether it was a 'clean' or 'dirty' hit and whether or not its a suspendable incident or not. :shakehead

Seriously much of the passion, hate and fire that was generated by incidents like these and the retaliation from them whether it be fights or revenge hits is completely gone now. Even long time rivalries like the Habs vs Bruins are so watered down these days that its almost the same as if they were playing the Coyotes or something. There were teams I really use to hate, but now I barely get up mild dislike for them because the new NHL takes away most of the passion and fire from games. :(
Yeah, taking out a player's knee is really "pansy". :facepalm:

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
League likely just handed the Oilers a BOA win with these ridiculous suspensions, why in hell 2 games? Gio's was certainly a reaction accident by sticking his leg out instinctively and suspending Lomberg 2 games for doing much less than Milan "neanderthal" Lucic did just a few weeks ago, what did Lucic get? bad enough we have to deal with the league handing out the most lopsided schedule in history to the Oilers now we have to play without our top Dman and our fireball deterrent to the meatheads wearing blue.
Boo hoo!

Don't want a suspension? Don't stick your knee out. It's simple really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad