Giordano's knee on knee (?) on Koivu (upd: suspended 2 games)

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
People asked for a separate thread for this one. Is it a knee on knee, or simply a skate on skate trip? Koivu got injured on the play and Giordano got 2 minutes for tripping.

edit:

Giordano got suspended for 2 games. Here's the link

Last edited:

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
It’s more reactionary trying to get in front of his man than it is an intentional knee in my opinion. More angles could change that though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gio isn't the type of player to purposely do something like that. Accidents happen.

Reactions: Flamesss

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Why is his leg sticking out so far, especially when he is pinning Koivu to the wall with his hand. Seems very unnatural.

Reactions: sleb

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
It’s more reactionary trying to get in front of his man than it is an intentional knee in my opinion. More angles could change that though.
This. Potentially dangerous but not malicious. His one on Fowler a few years back had a worse result and even that one wasn't that bad

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
f*** him. Koivu had no problem leading his team to wreck Gaudreau's hands to shreds. What comes around goes around.

Reactions: Dan403

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That is EXACTLY the same thing Flames fans said the last time he had a knee on knee and the time before that and the time before that....
Gio has played 783 games. Over the course of a career that long the occasional unintentional accident is going to happen, particularly when you play a physical game like Gio does.
How many times has Gio been suspended by he league?

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Gio has played 783 games. Over the course of a career that long the occasional unintentional accident is going to happen, particularly when you play a physical game like Gio does.
How many times has Gio been suspended by he league?

Pretty sure he's never been suspended

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I didn't realize during the game that he'd caught so high up Koivu's leg. I think this was a reactionary, instinctive play, but certainly irresponsible, and he probably apologized to Koivu after the game.

Reactions: Boomstick

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
People asked for a separate thread for this one. Is it a knee on knee, or simply a skate on skate trip? Koivu got injured on the play and Giordano got 2 minutes for tripping.

Suspend him for 2 games. ;)

Giorano's a pretty clean player... looks like a trip to me.

Reactions: Pizza the Hutt

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I personally think there was zero intent to injure from Giordano's part. Very sloppy play, if it indeed was knee on knee. I did call Giordano dirty in the Wild GDT, but that's not how I feel after giving it some thought. Gio was late and didn't want to let Koivu get past him and made a reactionary leg extension that he immediately realized was a mistake. I believe he tried to apologize to Koivu right after that.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
I mean if I park wrongly for the first time ever I still have to pay the ticket even if I apologize. Not sure if he needs to be suspended but a fine couldn't hurt (or 1 game).

Reactions: BagHead

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yep, definitely leading with the knee there. You don’t do that unless you’re trying to knee really.
Or you are just trying to trip the guy because he's gotten past you along the boards and you don't want hm getting a freebie shot on net. Intentional tripping yes. Intentional kneeing? No.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think trip was the right call, he's trying to stop Koivu from entering the zone and instincts can make you do that, it wasn't malicious or purposefully targeting the knee.

Unfortunate tho, wrong way to defend.

Last edited:

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Ain't the first time he's stuck his leg/knee in the wrong place. I like Gio, but he's def wreckless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad