Giordano's knee on knee (?) on Koivu (upd: suspended 2 games)

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
WHAT? didn't instigate? Jesus man, he chased the guy for a mile before attacking him..it's real clear. Look, this isn't about Lucic not getting suspended..it's about Lomberg getting screwed and it looks real bad on the league!
Did he come off the bench with the intention of starting a fight?

Yes. So he/you can't cry about whatever DoPS has given.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just to dial it back a bit...

is it possible that Peters sent Lomberg out hoping he would exact revenge on Dumbass? Yes.
Do I know for certain that was his intention? No
Do I think Peters told Lomberg to go out and try to hurt Dumbass? No
Am I glad that Lomberg did what he did? Yes
Do I think Dumbass's hit on Backlund was clean? Questionable and there's certainly room for debate.
Do I think that type of hit was necessary? No. Not with 53 seconds left in the game and Minnesota losing 2-0. The hit was meant to punish. Mission accomplished.
Thanks for your biased view of things. Really helpful.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Throughout his career? :laugh:

Last season Lomberg had 3 fighting majors, this season no penalties before this game. Small sample size if anything
Your point is? Lucic had 4 fights last year in 82 games. Is Looch not a goon because he was only in a few fights last year? Hell no. It's the way the game is going.
Lomberg had 11 fighting majors last season (not 3 like you for some reason fabricated). Good grief, what a flawed argument. We get it, Lomberg is a skill player, not a goon... Peters put him out there in that situation to score another goal because that's what he does best!

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Your point is? Lucic had 4 fights last year in 82 games. Is Looch not a goon because he was only in a few fights last year? Hell no.
Lomberg had 11 fighting majors (not 3 like you for some reason fabricated). Good grief, what a flawed argument. We get it, Lomberg is a skill player, not a goon... Peters put him out there in that situation to score another goal because that's what he does best!

My point was small sample size when it comes to Lomberg.

I double checked, Lomberg has 32 PIM in his NHL career, 15 last year and 17 this year so I really wonder where you get that 11 fighting majors. Or are you counting AHL games when discussing players in NHL?

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
The NHL fanbase is obsessed with penalties/injuries. Bad shit happens in every sport but you do not see the hyper overreaction from any other fanbase.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
My point was small sample size when it comes to Lomberg.

I double checked, Lomberg has 32 PIM in his NHL career, 15 last year and 17 this year so I really wonder where you get that 11 fighting majors. Or are you counting AHL games when discussing players in NHL?
If you don't think a player's AHL resume applies when he has played only TEN games in the NHL, there's no hope for you. He's been in 4 fights in 10 NHL games haha. So either we go with the small NHL sample size, or his AHL stat line which obviously implies that he was called up to the Flames for one reason, and one reason only.
I have no issue with the idea of a goon either, I wish there was more fighting in hockey. However to imply that Lomberg isn't there to rough people up when the opposing team is taking liberties with the Flames is extremely laughable IMO. He is a goon, no doubt about it.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If you don't think a player's AHL resume applies when he has played only TEN games in the NHL, there's no hope for you. He's been in 4 fights in 10 NHL games haha. So either we go with the small NHL sample size, or his AHL stat line which obviously implies that he was called up to the Flames for one reason, and one reason only.
I have no issue with the idea of a goon either, I wish there was more fighting in hockey. However to imply that Lomberg isn't there to rough people up when the opposing team is taking liberties with the Flames is extremely laughable IMO. He is a goon, no doubt about it.

Well that's the point when talking about small sample size. 10 games and 4 fights, when looking only at numbers, is a prime example of small sample size. Lomberg is a fourth liner that's supposed to bring physical game, I think we can agree on that.

Reactions: Yeah15

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sad state of affairs for the Flames when a 5'9" player is their designated goon. ... <sigh> If true, embarrassing actually. Goonery in the NHL just isn't like it used to be.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Just to dial it back a bit...

is it possible that Peters sent Lomberg out hoping he would exact revenge on Dumbass? Yes.
Do I know for certain that was his intention? No
Do I think Peters told Lomberg to go out and try to hurt Dumbass? No
Am I glad that Lomberg did what he did? Yes
Do I think Dumbass's hit on Backlund was clean? Questionable and there's certainly room for debate.
Do I think that type of hit was necessary? No. Not with 53 seconds left in the game and Minnesota losing 2-0. The hit was meant to punish. Mission accomplished.

So Dumba's decision to hit had nothing to with the fact that Wild's net was empty, they were chasing, and Backlund was about to take off to score an empty netter on Dumba's point of view? Did Dumba have other viable options? If he did, I'd like to hear what those were. Poke check? Probably the most viable option, other than hitting but risky as the puck could've easily drifted to another Flames' player.

If that was Dumba's first ever open ice hit at any level, I would buy that "he was trying to punish" theory. But no, that has been Dumba's bread and butter and go to move since he was a junior. Sure, he isn't lighting people up every game because that's frigging hard to do, but if he has a chance to make a play via either hit or poke check or <insert any defensive play here>, he's going for the hit.

And why punish Backlund after so much time has passed? The Wild has more than a few capable bodies to toss in the rink to either hit even harder than Dumba or fight. Your theory just doesn't make any kind of sense.

Reactions: Helistin

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Sad state of affairs for the Flames when a 5'9" player is their designated goon. ... <sigh> If true, embarrassing actually. Goonery in the NHL just isn't like it used to be.

Prout is their goon. Lomberg is just a 4th line banger that is willing to fight (and loses a lot because goes after guys twice his size)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So Dumba's decision to hit had nothing to with the fact that Wild's net was empty, they were chasing, and Backlund was about to take off to score an empty netter on Dumba's point of view? Did Dumba have other viable options? If he did, I'd like to hear what those were. Poke check? Probably the most viable option, other than hitting but risky as the puck could've easily drifted to another Flames' player.

He should have just tripped him. It worked a few seconds earlier when Backlund was open and about to score an empty netter. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Johnnybegood13

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
He's more than proven that he is a dirty player (doesnt mean he isnt a top dman in the game) so this suspension is warranted.
As someone who has had both my ACLs torn (one from an intentional knee-knee hit in the neutral zone) I would argue he deserves more. Knees come right after the head as the dirtiest areas you can target on a player.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So you agree he made the right call.
I agree that tripping Backlund a second time when he had a good chance to score an empty net goal would be pushing the Wild's luck with the refs.
The check by Dumba was the best option... I just have a problem with the end result. Hockey plays that end up in concussions are never good even when the play is within the rules. Hockey player concussions are such a serious problem and the league is stepping up to try and reduce them, although I think they could do more. I also think players have some responsibility too... on both sides. IMO there is too much "I'm going to hurt this guy because I can and the rules allow it". Could Dumba have checked Backlund, and separated him from the puck, without sending him to the hospital? Probably.

Reactions: Jugitsu

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I agree that tripping Backlund a second time when he had a good chance to score an empty net goal would be pushing the Wild's luck with the refs.
The check by Dumba was the best option... I just have a problem with the end result. Hockey plays that end up in concussions are never good even when the play is within the rules. Hockey player concussions are such a serious problem and the league is stepping up to try and reduce them, although I think they could do more. I also think players have some responsibility too... on both sides. IMO there is too much "I'm going to hurt this guy because I can and the rules allow it". Could Dumba have checked Backlund, and separated him from the puck, without sending him to the hospital? Probably.

I was writing a long response but realized this isn't the time and the place for it, so I will cut to the chase and say I agree with you. The fact that something is done according to the rules, even without bad intentions, doesn't necessarily make it right.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I was writing a long response but realized this isn't the time and the place for it, so I will cut to the chase and say I agree with you. The fact that something is done according to the rules, even without bad intentions, doesn't necessarily make it right.
Glad we agree. Cheers. :cheers:

Reactions: Jugitsu

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yes. Four occurances (and I stongly disagree with the "intentional" part) in 14 years as a professional hockey player does not indicate a pattern. Also in all those incidents the DoPS only fined or suspended Gio once... This last time.

hahahahaha "only four"

ok then in that case, corey perry has "only" run a goalie intentionally a few times and has never been suspended for it. therefore he's a clean, hard nosed player right?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'd like to see those intentional knees listed here. Emphasis on intentional, because I'm sure intentional kneeing ends ups with suspension

one on bobby ryan, one on fowler, and now this one

and if you don't think any of them were intentional then you're simply in denial. and lol @ thinking DOPS always does the right thing. the fact that he got suspended for this one and didn;t even get a hearing for the one on fowler shows how terrible DOPS is at this stuff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad