Ghost of Tsushima

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Found a physical copy at a Best Buy nearby. It appears a lot of retail stores have restocked but they're already running out of copies again, which is insane. Can't wait to get into the game this weekend.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Outside of the combat, this game reminds me a lot more of Witcher 3 than Assassin's Creed. The type of free exploration and liberating areas, while also having interesting and impactful side quests so far stands up to pretty close to the level of Witcher 3. It does seem to lack the same sense of discoverable lore, and there are probably too large of areas with little to do, but I think it makes up for it with a very fun and interesting combat system. It'll probably end up being a tier below Witcher 3 for me, but it is a really engaging game.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I’m like 2 hours in. So far it seems great.

The music and environments are insane. I can see why some people are mentioning it for game of the year already.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Really solid title. However, the stealth is mediocre as the AI is kinda braindead and I do wish there would be more random secrets to find in the world, RDR 2 was amazing when it came to weird random stuff going in the map, now its kinda predictable what you will find which makes exploration worse. There are also some bugs, the water effects are kind of weak, the weather can change in a second, it can be raining inside a cave etc. It's also somewhat too easy even on hard, wish there was a hardcore mode.

There is no question the combat is really fun, the setting is refreshing, music fits perfectly and every place just looks beautiful to look at. I would give it a 8.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Really solid title. However, the stealth is mediocre as the AI is kinda braindead and I do wish there would be more random secrets to find in the world, RDR 2 was amazing when it came to weird random stuff going in the map, now its kinda predictable what you will find which makes exploration worse. There are also some bugs, the water effects are kind of weak, the weather can change in a second, it can be raining inside a cave etc. It's also somewhat too easy even on hard, wish there was a hardcore mode.

There is no question the combat is really fun, the setting is refreshing, music fits perfectly and every place just looks beautiful to look at. I would give it a 8.
Yeah, one part of the exploration that is disappointing for me is the lack of random loot at the top of towers and such. But to me that is a small thing. I like to climb them anyways since the view is almost always rewarding, the game is beautifully done.

But yeah, the water looks pretty bad, at least on my release model PS4. Not sure if it looks better on the Pro.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Some of those things, maybe not the water or AI, can be fixed in a patch or update, no?

I'm still a few weeks to a month away from playing this for myself but it sounds like another game I'll sink an easy 50 hours in. How long is the game anyway?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Aw man, dumb AI will knock this game down a notch or two for me. It's just a huge pet peeve of mine.

I doubt I'll finish this game. God of War was probably my favorite game for PS4, and I stopped playing it with only a few hours left. Still sunk a solid 20 hours or so into it. ADD is a biotch some times, even if I do only have a very slight case of it.

I've sunk way more hours into Star Wars Battlefront 2 than any other PS4 title. It's just mindless fun. Perfect for me.

If I actually play GoT to the end, then it'll be telling. I'm hoping I didn't waste $60 on another open world game. Even Red Dead got pretty boring to me after the first 10-15 hours.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

Not enough random secrets? You clearly are missing a bunch of stuff.

Also, it's an island facing the sea. The weather is exactly like that.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Not enough random secrets? You clearly are missing a bunch of stuff.

Also, it's an island facing the sea. The weather is exactly like that.
I have completed a large part of the game. What I mean by random stuff is for example in RDR2 you had a part of the woods that whispered at night, found a witches tent and drank from her pot and passed out, witnessed how a gunstore owner had chained a random dude in the basement because he reminded him of his dead son etc. There are too many example to name and none of them are story missions, just random weird stuff that made excploration a blast.

Ghost does not have that. Nearly everything interesting you will find is in story missions, either part of the main story or in a side mission. There are of course collectables, hot springs, fox dens, altars etc. However, once you see them once or twice it does not become a surprise anymore.

As to the weather, I had moments where it went from day to night in a second or two or it could be a storm and then completely sunny everywhere in 5 second. Obviously it was a bug, that thankfully rarely happens.

This is a really solid title but there are issues and things that could/should have been added.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Man, I'm really bouncing back and forth between buying this game or not. I'm not fond of dropping $60 on a game, but it really seems like this is a hell of a title and I've had a hard time finding another game that really gripped me since finishing Spider-Man.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Man, I'm really bouncing back and forth between buying this game or not. I'm not fond of dropping $60 on a game, but it really seems like this is a hell of a title and I've had a hard time finding another game that really gripped me since finishing Spider-Man.

You're gonna love it. It's worth the $$$.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
You're gonna love it. It's worth the $$$.
That's where I'm leaning. I've been hearing from a lot of user reviews and the main criticisms of the game seem like things I could deal with easily enough.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Outside of the combat, this game reminds me a lot more of Witcher 3 than Assassin's Creed. The type of free exploration and liberating areas, while also having interesting and impactful side quests so far stands up to pretty close to the level of Witcher 3. It does seem to lack the same sense of discoverable lore, and there are probably too large of areas with little to do, but I think it makes up for it with a very fun and interesting combat system. It'll probably end up being a tier below Witcher 3 for me, but it is a really engaging game.
The side quests, characters, writing, and world building aren't even close to The Witcher 3. It's definitely more on the Assassins Creed level in terms of those. Combat is better for sure though.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
The side quests, characters, writing, and world building aren't even close to The Witcher 3. It's definitely more on the Assassins Creed level in terms of those. Combat is better for sure though.
This is likely more of a difference of opinion of the quality of the Assassins Creed games than it is of this game. I agree that it isn't quite on the same level as Witcher 3 in those aspects, other than probably writing, but I've never played an AC game that I enjoyed at all. I've been kind of interested in some of the newer titles, but my experience with the older ones just put me off the entire franchise.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I have completed a large part of the game. What I mean by random stuff is for example in RDR2 you had a part of the woods that whispered at night, found a witches tent and drank from her pot and passed out, witnessed how a gunstore owner had chained a random dude in the basement because he reminded him of his dead son etc. There are too many example to name and none of them are story missions, just random weird stuff that made excploration a blast.

Ghost does not have that. Nearly everything interesting you will find is in story missions, either part of the main story or in a side mission. There are of course collectables, hot springs, fox dens, altars etc. However, once you see them once or twice it does not become a surprise anymore.

As to the weather, I had moments where it went from day to night in a second or two or it could be a storm and then completely sunny everywhere in 5 second. Obviously it was a bug, that thankfully rarely happens.

This is a really solid title but there are issues and things that could/should have been added.

You probably shouldn't hold RDR2 as any sort of a standard. While Ghost here is a big budget game that's going to make big bucks, RDR2 was a gazillion budget game that would make gazillions more. Putting in that extra attention to detail takes a lot of extra time and money, and really Rockstar are the only ones that can pull off that extra oomph on top of the existing massive high def open world game formula.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
You probably shouldn't hold RDR2 as any sort of a standard. While Ghost here is a big budget game that's going to make big bucks, RDR2 was a gazillion budget game that would make gazillions more. Putting in that extra attention to detail takes a lot of extra time and money, and really Rockstar are the only ones that can pull off that extra oomph on top of the existing massive high def open world game formula.

Exactly. This is a game in a class all its own. There's TONS of side missions and hidden stuff (like the frog shrine) that you haven't found yet. The story is so, so awesome.

Bit the bullet and bought the game. If i don't like it, i blame all of you. Lol :sarcasm:

So....how goes it?

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Exactly. This is a game in a class all its own. There's TONS of side missions and hidden stuff (like the frog shrine) that you haven't found yet. The story is so, so awesome.

So....how goes it?

Its good so far. Only played for an hour though, but I like it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's totally worthy of GoTY. This is as near perfect of a game as you can get. This is the ancient Japanese game I've been waiting for. This is a hot game in Japan...even though it was developed in the US.
Not doubting you Dolemite because you know your stuff, but how popular is it? Are there any stats?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I almost got destroyed by archers and their f***ing hit you no matter what arrows. Lol

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
My god there is so many things you can put your technique points into. It can be very hard deciding on what to spend it on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad