Ghost of Tsushima

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Still on act 2. Played so much of it that i am starting to get to the point where i will just play the main quests and play the more important side quests.

I still like it don't get me wrong, but my interest in trying to complete everything is decreasing.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I'm about two hours in and really liking it. I did some sidequests and finished the arrow Sensei guy's stuff up to the point of getting the fire arrows. Do you guys think I should focus more on the main story quests or keep running around doing sidequests?

Completely depends on if you plan on 100% the game or not, if you try and do all the side quests and clear every marker you may get burnt out and not finish (which is a problem i have with open world games). Id say if you dont plan on 100% i would atleast do all of the Mythic tales (blue quest marker) as they give new armor and mythic moves. And do all the tale side quests (those with the pictures of the character involved) as those are almost extensions of the main story.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Having finished it; the game suffers a lot from open world syndrome deeper in to it. All sidequests boil down to; kill this guy just like the main missions do. Lots of the open world activities are largely worthless after a point. Haikus give you cosmetics, Inari shrines are good at first since they give you the ability to equip more charms but ultimately become pointless. Shrines are alright but that's about it.

That being said, the setting and story helps with those shortcomings a great deal. I was not expecting the ending to be so sad, especially after the story kinda lost me with what initially seemed like a dumb turn at the end of act 2. But with the closure of the ending, it actually makes sense.

At first i was like "well that's stupid" given how easily Shimura discards Jin after seeing him fight dishonorably but with the ending, it kinda makes it clear that yeah, Jin is at fault too. Initially, Shimura seems like he's alright with Jin fighting dirty to bust him out of captivity. Jin is correct in pointing out the Samurai are blinded by their code and that the shogun is more enraged about the Ghost becoming a new symbol for people to look up to rather than the samurai. At the same time, Shimura is also right. Jin also becomes too invested in his new identity. Like was it really needed to get that poison? You had no problem slaughtering the shit out of the mongols without it but now all the sudden it's the key? All it does plot wise is give them a small victory and give the mongols an even more powerful weapon to use. Shimura basically walks in on Jin backstabbing and then beheading a mongol. Why? You know damn well your uncle is backing you up in this fight and you're also an incredibly skilled warrior. You don't need to resort to that when there's no benefit whether that's "all the mongols understand" or not. Jin is pretty much exactly what he said he was; consumed by his new path and is also blind to his beliefs given he becomes increasingly dark as the game carries in. TL;DR - they're both idiots. Makes sense too given your crew of people are also all essentially screwups. Ishikawa driving Tomoe off, Masako being so blinded to tradition she sent her sister to live with a dickhead leading to her entire family getting slaughtered, Norio disgracing himself by brutally murdering the mongols out of revenge. Yuna is like the only one who knows what she is.

BUT his Uncle was so blinded by the Samurai way that he didn't even understand tactical adjustments when an enemy solved him.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Still on act 2. Played so much of it that i am starting to get to the point where i will just play the main quests and play the more important side quests.

I still like it don't get me wrong, but my interest in trying to complete everything is decreasing.
I'm kind of getting to this point as well. I'm only part way through act 2 and I already have both of my bows, both my sword/knife, and most of my armour sets fully leveled up. Makes it a little less interesting to explore and collect material. This game could really use a New Game+ mode to make it a bit more rewarding to continue to collect upgrade materials. But overall I'm still loving the game.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

I'm surprised that the rest of the Ghost user base has only taken 500k photos. I know I took at least 15,000,000 myself, so the overall number seems pretty low...

On a real note though, I can't express how much I am loving this game. The aesthetic is amazing, I love how vibrant the weather and scenery is. Photo mode simply expands upon this at lets you enhance the beauty.

The combat seems so fresh in every battle. Despite the missions being mainly the same. Every battle feels a little bit different, especially if you're active about changing stances and using all of the tools at your disposal.

I will say, that the missions tend to be somewhat repetitive. But I grew up playing Runescape where you do the same exact action for hours and hours at a time, so this is nothing to me lol.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
One thing this game improves upon drastically over the AC series is how it places cover around the map. The cover in this game (pampas grass, being able to slide underneath buildings etc.) seems much more natural as opposed to the Assassin's Creed "Hey look we planted a whole bunch of bushes here right next to the guy you need to assassinate and we also planted a mile of bushes leading up to it!" approach.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
One thing this game improves upon drastically over the AC series is how it places cover around the map. The cover in this game (pampas grass, being able to slide underneath buildings etc.) seems much more natural as opposed to the Assassin's Creed "Hey look we planted a whole bunch of bushes here right next to the guy you need to assassinate and we also planted a mile of bushes leading up to it!" approach.
I mean this game does basically the same thing but I agree the different ways you can get around makes it feel more natural.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
3 things 'Ghost of Tsushima' gets wrong about Japanese history

Here's an interesting quick article which looks at how and where Ghost of Tsushima deviates from real Samurai history and the invasion of Tsushima by the Mongols. Don't blame me if you're a little disappointed after reading. lol

I mean a lot of that gets filed under "no shit, sherlock"

Of course these characters never existed or the fact one man wasn't responsible for defeating the Mongols.

If you make a game historically accurate to the tee, it's probably not gonna be all that fun or interesting. If you want to be really pedantic you can point out the Samurai were also not anywhere near as stuck in their ways as Lord Shimura and the Shogunate are depicted. But again, liberties are taken to make for a more interesting story.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I mean a lot of that gets filed under "no shit, sherlock"

Of course these characters never existed or the fact one man wasn't responsible for defeating the Mongols.

If you make a game historically accurate to the tee, it's probably not gonna be all that fun or interesting. If you want to be really pedantic you can point out the Samurai were also not anywhere near as stuck in their ways as Lord Shimura and the Shogunate are depicted. But again, liberties are taken to make for a more interesting story.
I agree, some of this was "no, shit" info. Upon reading more about the Japense back then I found that this wouldn't make for a very interesting game, lol. I wasn't meaning to criticize, just thought it was interesting and other articles I read about this in particular weren't very good.

I thought it was interesting that Jin was actually symbolism for the storm that was mythologized to have drove the Mongols away. They did however mention that the main villain in Ghost is the grandson of Genghis Khan, so I actually had to look it up for myself to see if they were real.

I'm not very learned about Japanese history, so I found the #1 point interesting that this style of Samurai, particularly the armor, wasn't even actually around during that time period.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I assume the armor and style of samurai depicted is the way it is because that's pretty much the exact image I would see when someone would say the word samurai. And I would assume it would be the same for other people too.

The shoulder pad, the rounded/curved helmets, the honor code. Pretty much everything is on point with what someone would think a samurai was. That's def a case of stretching the truth for a more interesting game and I'm fine with it.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I assume the armor and style of samurai depicted is the way it is because that's pretty much the exact image I would see when someone would say the word samurai. And I would assume it would be the same for other people too.

The shoulder pad, the rounded/curved helmets, the honor code. Pretty much everything is on point with what someone would think a samurai was. That's def a case of stretching the truth for a more interesting game and I'm fine with it.
Yeah i'm fine with it. A game about legitimate Samurai around that time would be pretty boring. That was pretty much what the devs said, this is the iconic Samurai look. With most pop culture, there are pieces of truth within the fictionalization. I'm glad that the developers decided to consult with experts a lot so that they could fictionalize intentionally instead of just going willy nilly.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm about 10 hours into the game. I'm still engaged. The fighting is just too much fun, though I can see the game getting too repetitive. The world is beautiful, so that may keep me engaged, but I'm getting to the point where I may just avoid random roadside battles, especially if the mongols are low ranking troops.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Your product will not resonate with the general public if it is too close to source material. General audiences don't know the source material, they know movies and TV shows.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Just finished the game last night. I did a lot of the non-character side stuff, but it got old by the end of it, although I will say I loved attacking Mongol camps the entire way through the game. I also did all of the character tales and I would have to say my favorite one is
Norio's. What a gut punch finding his brother in the temple was. His fall from grace as a monk strictly due to the Ghost's presence also drives home how impactful Jin's existence was on the residents of Tsushima.

Overall, it's the most beautiful console game I've ever played. Hands down. The combat is amazing, and there was so much variation in how you could approach a fight. It's a very solid open world game that struggles with technical performance, but it makes enough progress in the open world genre that I was able to keep those issues out of my mind for the majority of the time I played it. It's a really good game for the PS4 to head into retirement on, but I'll probably play Persona 5 Royal at some point so I'll have to keep my PS4 around for that.

Also, I don't understand the people who say this is AC: Japan. Apart from having stealth elements, this is nothing like Assassin's Creed. This is way more akin to The Witcher 3 than any AC game, and I don't use that comparison lightly.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Agreed, this game is miles ahead of the AC games. Before buying this I was in the midst of trying to force myself through AC Odyssey and I just couldn't do it. This game on the other hand I can't put down. This is also the only game I've ever used the photo mode option is. It's by far the most beautiful looking game I've ever played.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Agreed, this game is miles ahead of the AC games. Before buying this I was in the midst of trying to force myself through AC Odyssey and I just couldn't do it. This game on the other hand I can't put down. This is also the only game I've ever used the photo mode option is. It's by far the most beautiful looking game I've ever played.
Agreed. I played a bit of AC Origins. Probably got about 8 hours in before I got bored. I cannot put this game down, yet, and I'm about 12 hours in. The combat is just too much fun. As someone said, I can still raid Mongol camps, and have a blast.

This game is going to be one of my favorites for the PS4- I can already tell. God of War was amazing, too. The only true issue I have with this game is the camera. If they can get that figured out- then it would be a perfect game, imo.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
You do know this is one of the best selling games of all time on PS4, right?
I think DMST was mentioning that if they had kept the game too close to the source material it would be boring, and rightly so. In the year this game is set in, 1274, Samurai didn't generally use swords and shields, or any of the "Samurai" armor that's in the game.

I just realized that the guy who played Khotun Khan is the same person who played Atilla the hun in Night at the Museum. Lol
I guess he found his niche, lol.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I got it, I've played around 15 hours, just running around in act 1, trying to get to the quests on the south shore of the island and keep getting distracted lol...I think I will focus on the Tales that have a character's face and leave the others for later. I wish that the bandanas and such had something else to them aside from cosmetics, even if it's a small bump to a stat or being able to have a minor charm on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad