Ghost of Tsushima

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I agree, but player choice and a completely open world are two very different concepts. Providing a carefully considered set of options and paths can be valuable (especially when it's still closed enough to not compromise creative direction, and still manageable/small enough to allow the creator to consider and fine-tune and streamline the possible outcomes--- like with Metroidvanias for example), but total freedom to do anything in any way at any time isn't, IMO. That degree of sand-boxy/immersive freedom (in an almost VR simulation kind of way) is pure novelty in my opinion.
But I can just as easily say that linear games are nothing but a series of hallways leading the player by hand. It might have some truth to it, but it's a reductive analysis.

Games that do open world structures right, like metal gear 5, Witcher 3, or BOTW, succeed because their open world designs are incredibly focused and create an immersion for the player that they wouldn't get in a linear game. At least a much more realized version.

That isn't to say that most open world games have become lazy and superficial, but that is a fault of the design strategy, not simply because they are open world games to begin with.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
But I can just as easily say that linear games are nothing but a series of hallways leading the player by hand. It might have some truth to it, but it's a reductive analysis.

Games that do open world structures right, like metal gear 5, Witcher 3, or BOTW, succeed because their open world designs are incredibly focused and create an immersion for the player that they wouldn't get in a linear game. At least a much more realized version.

That isn't to say that most open world games have become lazy and superficial, but that is a fault of the design strategy, not simply because they are open world games to begin with.
A reductive analysis is exactly the scope of the point that I'm making though. It is meant to be an argument about the inherent truth behind what the two are fundamentally focused on, NOT a blanket statement about how every open world game in existence is doomed to be without merit or can't have other strengths (I would agree that THAT would be unreasonably reductive, but I'm not making that point). I'm saying that I find the unique purpose behind the genre uninteresting and not particularly valuable.

The strength of making something completely open is that it allows a level of immersion that isn't otherwise possible (the extreme being just a simulation), and the strength of making something completely linear is that it allows a level of creative control and direction that isn't otherwise possible (the extreme being just a movie or board game). I'm arguing that the former is a superficial novelty (immersion/escapism isn't actually that valuable, in my opinion), whereas I would argue that the latter isn't.

I would also argue that the relative simplicity and minimalism of the latter makes it more possible to balance out its weaknesses (you can very reasonably make a linear game orders of magnitude more open or use tricks to sufficiently create that illusion), whereas the former is such a gargantuan (in my opinion, wasteful) effort to pull off that the most practical thing to do is go all-in on immersion alone (resulting in what I think often gets miscategorized as lazy, but actually involves just as much if not more effort and man-hours, only to usually underwhelming results).

Obviously, your mileage may vary, but personally, I view open-world games as essentially a pointlessly showy, unnecessarily complex, brute-force way of solving a much simpler problem. You can get to an answer that's just as accurate and useful, I guess, but I would question the methodology anyways.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Anyone actually play the game?
I've played up to a little after the world 'opens up', bit more than an hour or so. It's pretty awesome so far. I think I see why it gets all the hype, it's kind of the perfect combination of great looking world/unique setting, good combat and other trends that defined the recent generations in gaming. look forward to see how it unfolds

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Mechanically, the game is good.

It's basically an AC game in layout/format.

The issue is a complete lack of soul, for lack of a better word. Nothing you do feels meaningful beyond checking it off a checklist.

Honestly, this game just made me appreciate how good the OG Assassin's Creed games were.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Mechanically, the game is good.

It's basically an AC game in layout/format.

The issue is a complete lack of soul, for lack of a better word. Nothing you do feels meaningful beyond checking it off a checklist.

Honestly, this game just made me appreciate how good the OG Assassin's Creed games were.

1 and especially 2 were phenomenal.

Reactions: JaegerDice

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Too many of them have this open world mechanic with poor execution, however. A game offering the open-world dynamic doesn't automatically make it a soulless experience, but personally it's a trend that i'd like to see reigned back in a bit. I'd much rather play a more structured campaign than what Ubisoft has been offering for the past 8 years or so

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Absolutely loving this game so far, mostly for the combat/open world tho I'm not interested in the story really too much just yet(I'm only like 5 hours in if even). Honestly spend most of my time just riding around the world looking for fun side stuff to do and enemies to fight cause the combat is just fantastic (to me at least, I love it).

Definitely was heavily influenced by the AC games but I don't mind it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Really disappointed I have an Xbox right now, I know I would've loved this game it looks right up my alley

Reactions: CPTN71

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Reminds me a lot of witcher 3 just a bit more unpolished. The camera only seems to be an issue in boss fights when you start to dodge a lot. The wind is a really neat feature and there a some nice little quality of life things that streamline the open world experience.

Sony could have a new franchise with this game.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Is it worth upgrading the Half Bow or will I be getting a better one later in the story?

I found it worth upgrading.

You get another bow later, but it's a longer bow complete with a 'zoom' when you draw it. It's more powerful, but tough to use at close-mid range.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Aside from FF7Remake, I haven't bought a game at launch since RDR2. I am really starting to consider getting this game, it looks stunning visually and pretty fun!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Just downloaded it last night. Hoping to try it some time this week. Looks pretty damn fun.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Im hearing a lot of positive stuff on reddit. Cant wait to play this game. M

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Only a few hours in, but I'm really enjoying it. The combat feels really varied and a bit punishing if you don't learn to block/parry properly.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Reddit is really falling in love with this game. A lot of top comments calling for GoTY. It's the hottest topic on r/PS4. I put a lot more stock in their opinions than many paid critics around the world. They're just your typical gamers.

I tried it for a bit yesterday. Haven't really indulged myself in it enough. I'm hoping to sink some time into it this weekend, but it's hard to do with a 10 month old!

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
For the people who own the game and bought a physical copy and also are in the U.S., where did you buy it? I've been checking all of the stores around me that sell games - Best Buy, Target, Walmart, GameStop - and can't find a store that has it in stock anywhere around me. I plan on checking a local games store tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath on them having any copies in stock.

EDIT: Also checked Amazon and it says it won't ship for 1-4 weeks if I buy it there, which is not ideal whatsoever.

Last edited:

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Reddit is really falling in love with this game. A lot of top comments calling for GoTY. It's the hottest topic on r/PS4. I put a lot more stock in their opinions than many paid critics around the world. They're just your typical gamers.

I tried it for a bit yesterday. Haven't really indulged myself in it enough. I'm hoping to sink some time into it this weekend, but it's hard to do with a 10 month old!
I haven't had time to play much more of it but anecdotally close to everyone I know that games is in love with it and playing a ton of it

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

It's totally worthy of GoTY. This is as near perfect of a game as you can get. This is the ancient Japanese game I've been waiting for. This is a hot game in Japan...even though it was developed in the US.

Reactions: S E P H

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
It's a good game, but I don't think it deserves GoTY nominations. There's definitely flaws including how easy the game is - especially the AI being pretty bad a lot of the times. Also it's pretty janky at times. It's fun, but there's nothing I've played so far that hasn't been done better before. At the end of the day, it just reminds me of an Assassins Creed set in Japan; which there's nothing wrong with, but so far this is a 8/10 game at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad