Ghost of Tsushima

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
If they fixed the combat camera in this game that would be enough to get me to play it all over again. The combat isn't at the God of War level but it's probably the next best thing. It's definitely better than the AC series. Better than the Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn. I'd put it even slightly ahead of Fallen Order.

I also just ran into a bear in the wild destroying a bunch of Mongols. It was throwing them around like ragdolls.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Changed my mind, game is really good.

Needs a minimap DESPERATELY though.

I wish you could get more main weapons.

It never gets old taking down Mongol camps.

• Love
Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If they fixed the combat camera in this game that would be enough to get me to play it all over again. The combat isn't at the God of War level but it's probably the next best thing. It's definitely better than the AC series. Better than the Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn. I'd put it even slightly ahead of Fallen Order.

I also just ran into a bear in the wild destroying a bunch of Mongols. It was throwing them around like ragdolls.
That's my biggest complaint as well. The camera can be dreadful at time. The game is good enough where I can let it slide, but it does hold it back from "God of War" territory for me.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Ghost of Tsushima: Legends coming to PS4 Fall 2020

At first I scoffed but that actually sounds really cool. I'd rather more singleplayer DLC but this reminds me of RDR1's online functionality and that was great.

Not to mention its free too
I'm actually looking forward to this a lot. I've been trying to talk my friend into getting this game already, and now I'm really hounding him so we can get some Co-Op slashing in.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Because the guiding wind thing sucks. You constantly have to check the map to make sure you’re going in the right direction.
I'm ok with not having a mini map but a compass would be nice so you're not clicking in and out of the map all the time. It's pretty easy to lose direction.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So reading through this thread, I have seen people go back and forth... I was debating picking it up. I have a $10 gift card so would be for $49.99. Worth it or do I just wait for it to go on sale like it will?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Depends on if you like these type of open world games or not. I think everything about this game is top notch but I can see why people complain about how repetitive it can get.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Depends on if you like these type of open world games or not. I think everything about this game is top notch but I can see why people complain about how repetitive it can get.

I was really in to this game at first, but it got really stale for me towards the beginning of the 3rd chapter. I'm not even sure if its the fault of this game, or open world games in general, but side quests just get so repetitive. I pretty much neglected everything but main quests from there until the end of the game.

I do like the combat overall, but i feel like there are too many things to switch between in the heat of combat. I played the game all the way through and still had to really think about how to switch from the kunai to the bombs. The best combat systems become subconscious when you learn them.

the camera was definitely an issue as well.

the story was excellent. No complaints there

still a good game, but if this wins GOTY, then its will prove to be a pretty weak year

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'm in Act 2 and I think I'm going to try and do two or three Character Tales (the ones with faces in the quest list), and then do the nearest main quest. I did Gosaku's armor yesterday so I probably won't get to do the other two blue quests till I'm further north in act 3.

I do try to mix up taking on Mongol forts, sometimes I sneak in for some stabby stabby and other times I walk up to the front and stand off with them, when it let's me lol

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
So reading through this thread, I have seen people go back and forth... I was debating picking it up. I have a $10 gift card so would be for $49.99. Worth it or do I just wait for it to go on sale like it will?
I'm pretty hesitant to pick up games at launch, I don't like spending $60 on a game, but I bit the bullet on this one and I don't regret it one single iota. It's an amazing game, totally worth the price, especially if you're getting $10 off.

Reactions: sa cyred

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I just finished it. Didn't quite get all the shrines, dens etc. but came pretty close and did all the primary sidequests. Awesome, awesome game and completely worth the full price tag.

Pros:
1. It's easily the best looking game I've ever played. At first I thought this was just due to the feudal Japanese setting but as I got deeper into the game I realized that every single little thing in the game looks incredible. Each of Jin's armor sets is incredibly detailed and looks phenomenal, the facial animations, the sword kits, everything was done with an incredibly high level of care and detail. It's the only game I've ever used the camera mode in and I think I'm going to get one or two Ghost of Tsushima displates for my room.
2. Strong main storyline and awesome ending.
3. Really solid combat where both stealth and brute force approaches feel equally fun and viable. Also the difficulty of the combat rises at an appropriate rate. Early in the game I hardly ever used any of the gadgets or the skills that utilized resolve but as the enemies got further it forced me to vary up my approaches and start using everything available.

Cons:
1. The supporting cast and the side quests are not particularly memorable. None of Jin's team resonated with me except Yuna and maybe Masako, a little bit.
2. The open worldy stuff gets repetitive as in every game of this type. Fox dens, random encounters just traveling through the world definitely got a bit tiresome.
3. Could have used more variation in the enemies beyond "spear guy, big guy, shield guy, sword guy, arrow guy".

It's a 9 out of 10 for me. It's one rung below The Witcher 3 (which had much better characters and sidequests) and God of War (much better combat) but one rung above Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Horizon: Zero Dawn in terms of single player games I've played recently.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I also finished it today and have pretty much the same opinions lol...I find it kind of amazing that almost 44% of the players that got the game ended up finishing it, if the trophy percentage is to be believed.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Playing through this game for my 3rd time, but this time on my wife's PS5 on a 4K TV.

My god this game is absolutely beautiful with this hardware. The Cutscenes look especially great in Kurosawa mode. I don't usually care much about graphics, but my God this game is absolutely gorgeous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad