Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Imagine, in 2-3 years time:

Baptiste-McDavid-Eichel
Fasching-Reinhart-Kane
Ennis-Larsson-Compher
Foligno-????-Des

Holy. Effing. Wow.

Exactly. Our organization already has a skeleton of great depth. We lack elite talent. Why the heck would we want to trade quality for quantity?

Also you forgot Girgensons :amazed:

We could also then trade any of Reinhart, Ennis, etc. for a great LHD to round out the dcorps into elite level.

IF we are going to entertain the idea of trading Eichel, though, here's the trade:
#2 for #3 + OEL

Moulson-McDavid-Ennis
Kane-Reinhart-Girgensons
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
4th Line

OEL-Risto
Hanifin-Bogosian
Zadorov-Pysyk

That's our lineup. In 2016....

The Ugly Truth*

(Garth S)Noah and The Flood

Garth 5:32-10:1

(Garth S)Noah and The Flood

This is the account of (S)Noah and his family.

(S)Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with Bettman.

Now the NHL was corrupt in Bettman's sight and was full of violence.

Bettman saw how corrupt the league had become, for all the owners had corrupted their ways.

So Bettman said to (S)Noah, “I am going to put an end to all owners, for the NHL is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the league.

So make yourself an ark of the 2015 Entry Draft; Call it S S McEichel.

(S)Noah did everything just as Bettman commanded him.

Bettman then said to (S)Noah, "I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every recent expansion team I have made.â€

And after the seven days the floodwaters came on the league.

But (S)Noah was not a wise man. Many even called him an incompetent fool. And (S)Noah had a severe gambling problem.

The day before The Flood arrived (S)Noah lost S S McEichel to his wily neighbor Timmmay and Timmmay's doublecrossing henchman, Nolan...

The Ugly Truth*

Exactly. Our organization already has a skeleton of great depth. We lack elite talent. Why the heck would we want to trade quality for quantity?

Also you forgot Girgensons :amazed:

We could also then trade any of Reinhart, Ennis, etc. for a great LHD to round out the dcorps into elite level.

IF we are going to entertain the idea of trading Eichel, though, here's the trade:
#2 for #3 + OEL

Moulson-McDavid-Ennis
Kane-Reinhart-Girgensons
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
4th Line

OEL-Risto
Hanifin-Bogosian
Zadorov-Pysyk

That's our lineup. In 2016....

Who is this Girgensons guy? Is he new?

Eichel for Hanifin AND OEL??? Not unless Garth Snow suddenly becomes the new Coyotes GM. :shakehead McDavid for Hanifin and OEL might be debatable, but I'd still probably prefer to keep OEL and Hanifin in that scenario.

If the draft deliver both McDavid and Eichel to the Sabres, they both should be considered untouchable for the next 5 - 10 years. Like you said, anyone else could be traded to bring in any missing pieces for a Cup run.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Actually that's 1 in 10,000, the second one is about 3 in 250,000
.0001% is 1 in a million. .0001 (decimal, not percentage) is 1/10000.

That said, 1% * .1% (if that's what we're using for the Isles missing the playoffs) is only .001% (or .00001), so the odds of the scenario we're talking about is actually about 1 in 100,000.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
..ummmmm no.

If we're trading a pick, we trade #2.

Why on earth would one willingly give away McDavid when the package for Eichel would largely be just as good, minus a piece?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Talk about outsmarting yourself. It's like Sabres fans feel like they can't have nice things.

The Ugly Truth*

Islanders about to lose again, Ottawa has come back to be down by just 1 in the third period. The True McEichel is still possible!
:laugh:

The last two minutes of the Islanders Flyers game was absolutely RIDICULOUS! Three goals scored, Flyers scored to win with three seconds left in the game. I feel a Perfect Storm a comin'...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Ugly Truth*

Ottawa ties Pittsburgh with less than two minutes to play in the third. Do you believe in miracles?

tehinternet

Jul 6, 2012
Update on OP's idea with last night's games:

This is the perfect storm for Buffalo:

Islanders lose final 3 games. (They lost last night, so only 2 more losses to go)
Ottawa win final 3 games (including in OT to Penguins on Tuesday) (Ottawa actually did the OT win v. Pens last night! -- two more wins needed)
Detroit get at least 4 out of 6 possible remaining points. (Detroit won last night! One more win needed of two remaining)
Pittsburgh get at least 4 out of 6 possible remaining points. (They got 1 point in last nights OTL vs Ottawa, hopefully will beat Buffalo for 2 more, plus must beat the Islanders)
Islanders miss playoffs despite getting 98 points - which would probably be a record for the highest point total for any non-playoff team.
Despite having only a 1% chance as the highest placed non-playoff team, Islanders win the draft lottery.
Garth Snow goes into hiding.
Buffalo picks McDavid 1st and Eichel 2nd, instantly creating another Crosby/Malkin monster to terrorize the hapless Eastern Conference for the next decade.

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Last night's games were crazy convenient. For one night at least everything went right. When the islanders scored that trying goal with thirty seconds left I resigned myself, but then holy hell.

Hopefully that shatters their confidence for them.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I mean, the mceichel part isn't going to happen, and probably neither will the missing the playoffs part, but that pick can still rise several spots, put us in a different tier on draft day.

Murray's mentioned he thinks there might be a drop around 19, so if you can get into the middle teens, hey.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I mean, the mceichel part isn't going to happen, and probably neither will the missing the playoffs part, but that pick can still rise several spots, put us in a different tier on draft day.

You can't just let me be delusional for a couple mins thinking about #96 and #97 standing side by side on opening night? ;)

Or whatever number Eichel picks when he comes here, since Kane already has his #9 locked up.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
You can't just let me be delusional for a couple mins thinking about #96 and #97 standing side by side on opening night? ;)

Or whatever number Eichel picks when he comes here, since Kane already has his #9 locked up.

I won't deny I held my breath for Ottawa to tie it either, even knowing it sets Pittsburgh back and they're closer. It'd be an amazing thing, and it's basically only two games left for each team.

Let's talk if Ottawa can beat the rangers.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Just imagine if the Islanders had started sliding a week earlier...none of this Common Core math would be necessary to get their pick into the lottery.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Update on OP's idea with last night's games:

This is the perfect storm for Buffalo:

Islanders lose final 3 games. (They lost last night, so only 2 more losses to go)
Ottawa win final 3 games (including in OT to Penguins on Tuesday) (Ottawa actually did the OT win v. Pens last night! -- two more wins needed)
Detroit get at least 4 out of 6 possible remaining points. (Detroit won last night! One more win needed of two remaining)
Pittsburgh get at least 4 out of 6 possible remaining points. (They got 1 point in last nights OTL vs Ottawa, hopefully will beat Buffalo for 2 more, plus must beat the Islanders)
Islanders miss playoffs despite getting 98 points - which would probably be a record for the highest point total for any non-playoff team.
Despite having only a 1% chance as the highest placed non-playoff team, Islanders win the draft lottery.
Garth Snow goes into hiding.
Buffalo picks McDavid 1st and Eichel 2nd, instantly creating another Crosby/Malkin monster to terrorize the hapless Eastern Conference for the next decade.

Don't forget you need Boston to leap ahead, too.

tehinternet

Jul 6, 2012
According to my bad math,

With the 99.5% Islanders make the playoffs and then 1% lottery draft chance (.005 x .01) = .00005 which is a 5 in 100,000 chance of this happening. More simplified it's 1 in 20,000

Now if you assumed that the Islanders lost their remaining two games and they'd then have a 95.5% chance of making the playoffs, that would be: .045 x .01 = .00045 which is a 45 in 100,000 chance. More simplified it is: 9 in 20,000 chance.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Imagine, in 2-3 years time:

Baptiste-McDavid-Eichel
Fasching-Reinhart-Kane
Ennis-Larsson-Compher
Foligno-????-Des

Holy. Effing. Wow.

How I'd do it assuming same pieces make it...
Girgs-McDavid-Eichel: Amazing all situations top line
Fasching-Reinhart-Kane: 2 way line. Give Reinhart wingers with size and speed
Baptiste-Larsson-Ennis: New RAV line but with better puck possession and size
Foligno-?-Des: Hit things

And knowing you could put Eichel as center on another line to terrorize opposing defenses :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad