Speculation: Getting McDavid

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
And yet you're arguing to do just that...

I'm interested in how your mind changed from on how close McEichel were... and how it relates to your lower opinion than most of Reinhart.

I've known all along that Mcdavid was on another level. But there is no way in hell that I'd trade Eichel and Reinhart for McDavid, or Ristolainen and Eichel either.

I would put together a huge package of assets.... a stupid package to go up from Eichel to McDavid. If a team with holes everywhere like Arizona, wanted to restock their cupboards... I'd make a huge pitch from our pool of talent. But I wouldn't offer a single core piece (Reinhart, Risto, Girgs, Zadorov)

Could that package exist? Even a stupid one?

1-2,Baptiste,Bailey,Compher,Fasching,Grigorenko,McCabe,Pysyk,Ennis? Maybe Bogosian part of it?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Here's the impression I get, and it's why I prefer McDavid over Eichel so much:

McDavid reminds me of Toews on steroids in the way he plays. Eichel has some Ovechkin to his game. What I mean is that McDavid plays as cog in the machine. Yeahh, he's the best cog, but there is still a team harmony every time I see him play. Eichel, on the other hand, is sort of a one man show. I don't mean that he's selfish, it has probably come naturally that way, but he's going to have to figure out how to be a part of the overall machine before he wins big on the next level. I think it's a major reason Larkin outplayed him at the WJCs. So yeah, Eichel could outscored McDavid in the regular season, and I still think McDavid will be more valuable, especially soon. I know it's not articulated well, as it's even a bit convoluted to me, but I know how I feel.

Which could partially be attributed to the depth of their respective teams. Eichel didn't have much choice on the US, and his teammates would stand around at times or defer the puck to him and wait for him to do something. He could probably mature in that regard but I didn't perceive it as being selfish, like you said.

McDavid had the benefit of being on a team where he wasn't the primary focus of both his teammates and the opposition. Not that he didn't have the media spotlight on him, but easier to be a cog in the machine when you have several other guys capable of carrying the load.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Which could partially be attributed to the depth of their respective teams. Eichel didn't have much choice on the US, and his teammates would stand around at times or defer the puck to him and wait for him to do something. He could probably mature in that regard but I didn't perceive it as being selfish, like you said.

McDavid had the benefit of being on a team where he wasn't the primary focus of both his teammates and the opposition. Not that he didn't have the media spotlight on him, but easier to be a cog in the machine when you have several other guys capable of carrying the load.

I saw a lot of the same in his BU games though. The more I saw of him, the more of a concern it became for me.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I saw a lot of the same in his BU games though. The more I saw of him, the more of a concern it became for me.

I see what you mean, but imo his teammates simply slowed him down. On the entire BU roster, there isn't someone even in the stratosphere of Eichel. I'm not even sure there's another legit NHL player (future) on the roster. Not that McDavid isn't significantly better than the players on his team, but the difference isn't as large. Multiple future NHLer's are on his team.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
1-2,Zadorov,McCabe,Foligno,Petersen

Does this get McDavid?

Is there any deal not involving 55,23, or 28 that would swing this? Bogosian involved?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
not worth the cost, IMO

I feel like the deal above doesn't 'hurt'. Therefore, I feel I'm probably off. I'm trying to determine how crazy such a deal would have to be, and if one exists that wouldn't involve our core assets.

Snargitz

Nov 27, 2005
Brisbane
We have 2 months until the draft. In the meantime, I'll ask 'what-if' :dunno:

MacTavish has already said they will not trade the pick.

Besides paying a premium price to move from a franchise center in Eichel to another franchise center in McDavid is just not worth it.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Snargitz

Nov 27, 2005
Brisbane

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Their both franchise centers. He didn't say that their equal, unless you don't think Eichel can be a franchise center.

On the contrary, I could make a few arguments why Eichel's the better choice. However, side-by-side, I give McDavid the edge. Which is why I'm curious what a realistic deal would look like to move up, or if there is one.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
On the contrary, I could make a few arguments why Eichel's the better choice. However, side-by-side, I give McDavid the edge. Which is why I'm curious what a realistic deal would look like to move up, or if there is one.

Realistic? I say no because it won't be realistic to both sides. An acceptable price for Edmonton is not an acceptable price for Buffalo. A Canadian team trading away McDavid? It's not happening. Especially not Edmonton considering the issues they've had. Within days of the lottery they made Nicholson their CEO (though that may well have been inevitable) and interviewed Chiarelli for President of Hockey Operations.

Bps21*

There's no way to make a reaistic trade since the difference in fame between the two is bigger than the difference in talent. ...though that part of the mcDavid package takes an immeasurable hit playing in edmonton. Lol NHL. Lol.

Danleary

Jan 19, 2010
Nah I'm implying that Eichel + everything else your offering is greater than McDavid.

Don't get me wrong I would prefer to have McDavid as well but I wouldn't pay the price it would take to get him.

Yeah, I have the same stance. OP suggested offering Ennis to the mix for McDavid, I'd rather have Eichel + Ennis. I think those two can be a devastating combination. Plus we're not as deep with wingers as we were a few years ago.

Girgs x 28

Aug 1, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Stop focusing on the shiny new toy you can't have. Enjoy the one you will have.

Well said. Would've loved McDavid, but we're getting a phenomenal player in Eichel. Will McDavid end up being the better player? Probably. But Eichel will not be far behind.

We've been looking for a #1 center since we lost Briere and Drury in 07. Well, we got one... and he's going to be better than both of them.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011

Danleary

Jan 19, 2010
^ Wow, that's interesting. I'm not sure I fully believe it either, but I'm doubtful that McDavid will pull a Lindros as some people are suggesting. He's said only good things about Edmonton and that he feels lucky to be going there. Even if it is only just for PR reasons, I just don't see him refusing to play for them.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Whats the kids dad suppose to say lol.. Maybe when someone writes this kids book 25 years from now the truth may come out, but I doubt it..

It's over lock this thread up and call it a day :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad