Speculation: Getting McDavid

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I've always been a strong McDavid supporter and it hurt not winning the draft initially for the 2nd year in a row but I'm fine with Eichel and would not want to sacrifice the future for moving up one spot.

Edmonton will draft McDavid and that's the end if it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
McTavish probably asks for Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Ristolainen, and Zadorov if Murray calls.

It's going to be like Darcy asking for Joe Sakic when Colorado asked about McKee back in the day.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
1-2,Zadorov,McCabe,Foligno,Petersen

Does this get McDavid?

Is there any deal not involving 55,23, or 28 that would swing this? Bogosian involved?

Murray has to make the call to MacTavish/Chiarelli. He's going to get turned down, but phone calls are "free," and you don't make 100% of the trades you don't call on.

I'd offer up everyone/anyone in the organization aside from Reinhart, Girgensons, and Ristolainen.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Murray has to make the call to MacTavish/Chiarelli. He's going to get turned down, but phone calls are "free," and you don't make 100% of the trades you don't call on.

I'd offer up everyone/anyone in the organization aside from Reinhart, Girgensons, and Ristolainen.

You would really let Girgensons stand in the way, if that's what they asked for? Or Reinhart? Risto I get because we don't have another no. 1 defensemen laying around. But a 2C and a utility player like Girgensons are roles that are not that hard to fill. If you trade Reinhart, Girgensons is your 2C. If you trade Girgensons, step right up Johan Larsson.

That said, I've made peace with the Eichel idea and can't wait for his arrival. This thread was really nothing more than a momentary personal freak out that has passed.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
You would really let Girgensons stand in the way, if that's what they asked for? Or Reinhart? Risto I get because we don't have another no. 1 defensemen laying around. But a 2C and a utility player like Girgensons are roles that are not that hard to fill. If you trade Reinhart, Girgensons is your 2C. If you trade Girgensons, step right up Johan Larsson.

That said, I've made peace with the Eichel idea and can't wait for his arrival. This thread was really nothing more than a momentary personal freak out that has passed.

I would.

Buffalo is getting a franchise player. There's no reason to give up significant pieces (which Reinhart and Girgensons are) to upgrade on said franchise player.

Buffalo isn't missing on Crosby and settling for Bobby Ryan here. The team is about to add a legitimate superstar at C.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
I would.

Buffalo is getting a franchise player. There's no reason to give up significant pieces (which Reinhart and Girgensons are) to upgrade on said franchise player.

Buffalo isn't missing on Crosby and settling for Bobby Ryan here. The team is about to add a legitimate superstar at C.

and, heck, that team that had to settle for Bobby Ryan ended up winning the big prize a couple seasons later ;)

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If Murray traded for McDavid he is a fool. Simple as that. Shouldn't even be a discussion. The only way I'm talking trade is if we had #1. Trading to #2 sets your franchise up to dominate for a long time. Trading to #1 from 2 just sets you back. Cost too much and not worth it when you have Eichel there.

I actually think this is why Murray is disappointed. Not having #1 eliminated options. Having pick 2 you have 1 option, pick Eichel.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

No. I wrote "I'd offer up." Not "I wouldn't trade."

Murray isn't doing his job if he doesn't at least make the call to Edmonton.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
McDavid is going 1-1. Unless MacTavish has a stroke at the stand, and says EICCHEELLL. In some weird turrets syndrome moment, McDavid is in off to Alberta.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Given yesterday's news, it seems the draft selection won't even be MacTavish's to make. Seems like Nicholson will be calling the shots so any moments of absent-mindedness MacTavish may have in not taking McDavid (assuming he's still GM) will still be checked by Nicholson before the Oilers pull the trigger to commit.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Given yesterday's news, it seems the draft selection won't even be MacTavish's to make. Seems like Nicholson will be calling the shots so any moments of absent-mindedness MacTavish may have in not taking McDavid (assuming he's still GM) will still be checked by Nicholson before the Oilers pull the trigger to commit.

That's good, the first common sense move that the franchise has made since 1989.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
If Murray traded for McDavid he is a fool. Simple as that. Shouldn't even be a discussion. The only way I'm talking trade is if we had #1. Trading to #2 sets your franchise up to dominate for a long time. Trading to #1 from 2 just sets you back. Cost too much and not worth it when you have Eichel there.

I actually think this is why Murray is disappointed. Not having #1 eliminated options. Having pick 2 you have 1 option, pick Eichel.

disagree with almost all the language in this post but the sentiment is correct, trading for McDavid would require extenuating circumstances, probably to the extent that McDavid is refusing to play for Edm, otherwise the cost is not worth the return

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Three days from the draft. Let's re-visit this.

We now know Arizona has been offered a young player that won't require a draft pick to be included for the no. 3 overall pick. How many players are out there that would make for such a clean trade? Not many. Reinhart is definitely a possibility.

Murray initially said that he would attempt to trade up to no. 1 if he didn't win the lottery. He then put his foot in his mouth when he lost the lottery, and his since recanted that statement and has done nothing but praise Eichel. But would it really surprise you if his initial statements were more truthful and everything post-lottery has been damage control?

So, would people freak out if Murray dealt Reinhart to AZ and then flipped 2 and 3 for McDavid? Personally, I think it would be great.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't think there's any math that can reasonably claim that McDavid > Eichel + Reinhart. None whatsoever.

Makes no sense to flip a 90 point player and a 70 point player for a 100 point player. If we trade Reinhart to Arizona, it's to use the 3rd overall ourselves. Which, I believe, would also be a mistake.

Snargitz

Nov 27, 2005
Brisbane
So, would people freak out if Murray dealt Reinhart to AZ and then flipped 2 and 3 for McDavid? Personally, I think it would be great.

So you want to give up Reinhart and Eichel to get McDavid? Yes i would freak out and demand Murray commit seppuku

Depth wins cups not a solitary player. Just be happy that there are two excellent players in this draft and we are getting one of them.

Last edited:

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

We now know Arizona has been offered a young player that won't require a draft pick to be included for the no. 3 overall pick. How many players are out there that would make for such a clean trade? Not many. Reinhart is definitely a possibility.

Murray initially said that he would attempt to trade up to no. 1 if he didn't win the lottery. He then put his foot in his mouth when he lost the lottery, and his since recanted that statement and has done nothing but praise Eichel. But would it really surprise you if his initial statements were more truthful and everything post-lottery has been damage control?

Give it up, man. They didn't even talk to McDavid at the combine.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo

That would be one of the worst trade in Sabres history

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, I've been thinking about this.

Let's say, for whatever reason, Chiarelli sees Eichel and McDavid as equals. So, let's just assume that, for the sake of argument here, Chiarelli can convince ownership and the team president (who ran Hockey Canada) that Eichel, not McDavid is the right pick. What's the process? The minute he tells Buffalo that he'd be willing to trade #1 for #2+, Murray knows that he feels McDavid and Eichel are close, so now the ball is in Murray's court.

And Chiarelli knows this. So, to maximize value, Chia would have to

A) Get the ownerships approval to PASS on McDavid.
B) WAIT for Murray to reach out to HIM and make an offer (the minute he calls Murray, the jig would be up and he wouldn't get nearly as much). I'm sure Murray has already called him and been rebuffed soon after the lottery was finished.

Honestly, I think 99.9% of scenarios play out where Edmonton picks McDavid, we pick Eichel.

However unlikely, I think the ONLY real way for us to GET McDavid is if Edmonton simply walks up and selects Eichel. Which, in reality, just isn't happening unless McDavid flat out told Edmonton he didn't want to play there.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'd put the odds of the Oilers selecting Eichel instead of McDavid at no better than 5% - and that's only because Chiarelli likely got to see a ton of Eichel play in Boston and may see him being more physically ready to step in than McDavid.

However, with all the hype and hoopla surrounding McDavid for the past 3 years and the PR value of a Canadian kid being selected by a Canadian team, I seriously don't see any of the predictions about the 1st pick not coming true.

Imagine the shockwaves in both Edmonton and Buffalo - not to mention the entire hockey world - if somehow Eichel went 1st and McDavid 2nd.....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

yea, everyone knows 1 star center is better than 2 :rolleyes:

I don't know what's funnier, your transition from "the difference between McDavid and Eichel isn't that great" or how irrational your "Draisaitl over Reinhart" position has made you with regards to Reinhart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad