Speculation: Getting McDavid

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I think that's the wrong way to look at it

For me it's more like (can't wait for this to be picked apart):

McDavid has a ceiling of 10, and a floor of 9, with a 90% chance to reach his ceiling
Eichel has a ceiling of 10, and a floor of 8, with a 50% chance to reach his ceiling

that's how I feel about it

edit: maybe Eichel's ceiling is 9.5... or McDavid's is 11, lol
Seems fair to me.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

McDavid has a ceiling of 10, and a floor of 9, with a 90% chance to reach his ceiling
Eichel has a ceiling of 10, and a floor of 8, with a 50% chance to reach his ceiling

that's 1 louder isn't it?

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Lets assume the Sabres' pick will be a bust. In this case it is better if we lose the lottery because then we won't be kicking ourselves about making the wrong choice. Just food for thought.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Lets assume the Sabres' pick will be a bust. In this case it is better if we lose the lottery because then we won't be kicking ourselves about making the wrong choice. Just food for thought.
Seems a little too irrationally pessimistic for my taste. I just endured two seasons of being the worst team in the league, and I intend to enjoy the end result of drafting top 2 both seasons.

Plus, if the pick really is a bust, you could always kick yourself for not picking Hanifin, Strome, Marner, etc.

Last edited:

Bps21*

It's about putting them in position to be the best they can be

Eichel with what I've been building > mcDavid after I trade away big pieces of my team

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
If we win the lottery, we will not and should not trade down.

I wouldn't either... however, if Arizona wanted to trade...

To ARZ
- McDavid

To BUF
- Eichel
- OEL
- Domi
- Duclair
- 2016 1st round pick

ARZ would be crazy to do this, but I think GMTM would have to consider it.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY

mmmmhmmmmmm, Saturday can't get here fast enough

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Ultimately, it's about depth when you want to build a winner. I don't want to become a team like Pittsburgh, with star power up the middle but not much elsewhere. You want to have a solid team throughout, with a deep forward corps and a solid blueline, which we look to have right now...star power on top of it is just gravy.

I've been thinking about this a little bit lately and I'm kinda nervous with TM's "obsession" with McDavid leading him to gutting what's been put into place for him (Reinhart, Girgensons, Ristolainen, etc). It's probably just the "hoping for the best but expecting the worst" side of me (which somehow didn't come out during the tank race). If we win the lottery, great. If not, build around Eichel and what we already have.

I'm sure GMs have enough sense to not trade away a pick when a Connor McDavid is there for the taking, and I hope that TM accepts where the lottery puts us. Of course, if you can get it done with secondary pieces (Grigs, NYI 1st, Larsson, etc), then by all means go ahead...but that obviously isn't happening

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

To ARZ
- McDavid

To BUF
- Eichel
- OEL
- Domi
- Duclair
- 2016 1st round pick

Of course he would. Nothing is untradeable, including the McDavid pick.

But it would take a Lindros-esque haul in return in order for me to consider moving it.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011

To ARZ
- McDavid

To BUF
- Eichel
- OEL
- Domi
- Duclair
- 2016 1st round pick

I don't really think there is an argument to not pull the trigger on this trade if you're Buffalo. Maybe, MAYBE ticket sales, if this was a struggling market...

Karate Johnson*

It's about putting them in position to be the best they can be

Eichel with what I've been building > mcDavid after I trade away big pieces of my team

This is the best arguement for not trading up from 2.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Not a Buffalo fan, but I'm happy for you guys and kind of intrigued by this discussion.

For those advocating a trade up, at the cost of significant assets, what do you view as the quantifiable difference between the two. Ten points a year? Fifteen?

We've already seen with Crosby that a Kopitar or a Toews can have more postseason success, given this isn't basketball and one player can't play 75% of a game.

Put another way, the best player in the world has won 1/9 available Cups in his career. The other guy who has a case for that title has zero.

No matter how good you think McDavid is, I'm hard pressed to believe he gives you a better chance of winning than Eichel and the king's ransom you'd have to give up to get him.

You're about to draft another elite prospect in his own right, a guy who almost doubled the offensive production of Toews at the same age. I'd sure be content with that.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Not a Buffalo fan, but I'm happy for you guys and kind of intrigued by this discussion.

For those advocating a trade up, at the cost of significant assets, what do you view as the quantifiable difference between the two. Ten points a year? Fifteen?

We've already seen with Crosby that a Kopitar or a Toews can have more postseason success, given this isn't basketball and one player can't play 75% of a game.

Put another way, the best player in the world has won 1/9 available Cups in his career. The other guy who has a case for that title has zero.

No matter how good you think McDavid is, I'm hard pressed to believe he gives you a better chance of winning than Eichel and the king's ransom you'd have to give up to get him.

You're about to draft another elite prospect in his own right, a guy who almost doubled the offensive production of Toews at the same age. I'd sure be content with that.
i don't think there are too many actually advocating moving up, we're just looking at it from all angles...would Murray believe he has the parts to replace the Reinharts, Girgs, Zads, either within the system or by being aggressive in UFA over the next 2-3 years to go with McDavid?

I'm sure close to 100% of us want to stand pat and take Eichel to go along with the stockpile of talent

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Here's the impression I get, and it's why I prefer McDavid over Eichel so much:

McDavid reminds me of Toews on steroids in the way he plays. Eichel has some Ovechkin to his game. What I mean is that McDavid plays as cog in the machine. Yeahh, he's the best cog, but there is still a team harmony every time I see him play. Eichel, on the other hand, is sort of a one man show. I don't mean that he's selfish, it has probably come naturally that way, but he's going to have to figure out how to be a part of the overall machine before he wins big on the next level. I think it's a major reason Larkin outplayed him at the WJCs. So yeah, Eichel could outscored McDavid in the regular season, and I still think McDavid will be more valuable, especially soon. I know it's not articulated well, as it's even a bit convoluted to me, but I know how I feel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad