Speculation: Getting McDavid

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
One of many articles that will this week appear and add to the library of past ones, comparing the two players:

The gap between Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel, first and second respectively on NHL Central Scouting's final ranking of the top North American skaters eligible for the 2015 NHL Draft, is slim.

"He's a craftsman with the puck," said Dan Marr, director of NHL Central Scouting. "His hockey sense, with his vision, his anticipation, his sense of timing and the ability to do those things at a top-end speed, you're looking at the best skilled player in the draft."

It's McDavid's ability to maintain that elite speed while using his elite skill that draws comparisons to Crosby.

"Sidney had a lot more lower-body power in his game at 17," NHL Network Analyst Craig Button said. "Connor skates by people, and you can't look at the game in the prism of 2005 because with the obstruction, inference and holding back then, that was something Sidney really had to work through in a big way.

"They are both good at adapting on the fly while skating at top speed, and that is very rare."

"I haven't seen a player at that level with a reach and a stick like that since Mario [Lemieux]," Eddie Olczyk said after coaching Eichel in September. "When he skates up into the play and into the zone, with one hand on his stick, spreading his arms, showing that arm length with the stick flailing, it's like a 747 going up ice, and I'm not kidding."

Eichel maintains puck possession by angling his body into would-be defensemen and fully extending his arms and stick to create separation

These attributes -- McDavid's ability to execute at top speeds and Eichel's to use every inch of his reach -- are ones McDavid and Eichel each will lean on in his rookie season. They're intangibles that put McDavid and Eichel into the upper echelon, and separate them from the rest of the draft-eligible prospects.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771758&navid=nhl:topheads

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Three days from the draft. Let's re-visit this.

We now know Arizona has been offered a young player that won't require a draft pick to be included for the no. 3 overall pick. How many players are out there that would make for such a clean trade? Not many. Reinhart is definitely a possibility.

Murray initially said that he would attempt to trade up to no. 1 if he didn't win the lottery. He then put his foot in his mouth when he lost the lottery, and his since recanted that statement and has done nothing but praise Eichel. But would it really surprise you if his initial statements were more truthful and everything post-lottery has been damage control?

So, would people freak out if Murray dealt Reinhart to AZ and then flipped 2 and 3 for McDavid? Personally, I think it would be great.

Is it Friday yet???? :help:

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I've liked Eichel better for awhile....to me there is no reason to WASTE assets to draft McDavid.

I think Eichel has the better motivation, feeling slighted at being #2. He's the perfect Buffalo player, something to prove.

I wouldn't give up anything to get McDavid....we are in perfect position right now....slew of higher end prospects all growing together....

I'd be so mad if we did something stupid like this...

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
NO. If you move up to #3 first (which is debatable if it's worth it in the first place), #2+#3 > McDavid.

There's no way that Eichel and Hanafin (or Marner/Strome) is not worth more than McDavid. No thx.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
yea, everyone knows 1 star center is better than 2 :rolleyes:

I don't know what's funnier, your transition from "the difference between McDavid and Eichel isn't that great" or how irrational your "Draisaitl over Reinhart" position has made you with regards to Reinhart.

But is one "greatest player of his generation" better than two star centers?

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I think it comes down to personal opinion of the gap between Eichel and McDavid. I think the gap is pretty darn close.

If you think otherwise, maybe you would rather pull the trigger on a trade like that. I truly think in the end Eichel could end up with more hardware than McDavid, and that includes the best hardware of them all, not just personal accolades.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
But is one "greatest player of his generation" better than two star centers?

Except McDavid isn't even that, yet. If McDavid is the greatest player of this generation, I don't think Eichel will be far behind.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Just a thought.....

Gretzky is arguably the greatest player in NHL history......

Without Messier (a 1b/shotgun center) Gretzky never won a Cup again.

McDavid may be the best "individual" player of his generation but I'll take a "team" or a guy that makes everyone around him better....that's who I think Eichel is.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
McDavid may be the best "individual" player of his generation but I'll take a "team" or a guy that makes everyone around him better....that's who I think Eichel is.
Yep. Connor McDavid is the best prospect in the last 30 years but he doesn't make anyone around him better. You got it.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Just a thought.....

Unless we're trading Reinhart to get McDavid, this makes no sense. Eichel is no more of a "team player" than McDavid, either.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Just a thought.....

yeah because McDavids 70+ assists says that right?

I'm loving Eichel but I'm not going to throw McDavid under the bus because it fits some narrative for homers.

I'm a die hard Sabres fan but I'm also a huge fan of the sport and this is a rivalry I can't wait to see. I'm actually hoping that the world finally gets to see an American Gretzky.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Just a thought.....

Clearly you've never watched McDavid play

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Just a thought.....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/big-read-connor-mcdavid-on-the-edge-of-superstardom/

For McKee, the thought bubble floats up as it has on a daily basis: He’s so Sidney. McKee played 13 seasons in the NHL, the last one five years ago with Sidney Crosby, then just 22, just after The Kid raised the Stanley Cup. On the ice McKee sees the parallels in their skill sets and, even more, their make-up. Off the ice and in the room, though, the similarities are even more striking: special talents who almost desperately avoid special treatment, or even the appearance of it; who want nothing more than to blend in even though they so conspicuously stand out; who are by nature reserved and humble, but by force of their gifts have to accept leadership roles and adapt. They have their differences, of course: Crosby seems incapable of taking a day off or giving as little as 99 percent in his off-ice work while, McKee says, McDavid doesn’t always bring it in the gym, much more like an average kid on that count. Still, unlike stars who don’t give a rat’s ass about anyone else (and they are legion), Crosby and McDavid care what people think of them, their teammates most of all.

McKee thinks about the one moment, the passage of two seconds, when it all kicked in. He can see it. We’re up a goal late and they pull the goalie. McDavid makes a play in the neutral zone, fleeces a defenceman, puck is knocked over to Remi Elie and there they are, on a two-man breakaway on an empty net, sorta side by side. Elie has it, and in a situation like that you give the puck back to the guy who made the play, but McDavid doesn’t let him. He’s skating beside Elie and keeps his stick in the air. He wants his linemate to get the goal, doesn’t give him any choice. And Elie has to take the shot because it’s still a one-goal game. Yeah, in a split second he thought of it. Just like Crosby would.

And when someone asks about McDavid coming in for his exit interview, McKee will say that he would never blow off anything like that. What would his teammates think of him? By coming in when he could easily have begged off sick, McDavid was reinforcing the coaches’ authority.

There is no need to try and push McDavid down to lift Eichel up, IMO.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've liked Eichel better for awhile....to me there is no reason to WASTE assets to draft McDavid.

I think Eichel has the better motivation, feeling slighted at being #2. He's the perfect Buffalo player, something to prove.

I wouldn't give up anything to get McDavid....we are in perfect position right now....slew of higher end prospects all growing together....

I'd be so mad if we did something stupid like this...

I think it comes down to personal opinion of the gap between Eichel and McDavid. I think the gap is pretty darn close.

Agreed with both thoughts - I'm actually a little - but just a little - nervous about Chiarelli shocking everyone and taking Eichel with the 1st pick instead of McDavid. Leading up to the lottery, I wanted McDavid more but after seeing Eichel in the NCAA and IIHF tourneys, along with his various interviews and combine activities, he's clearly a perfect fit for Buffalo and is arguably more mature physically to step in and help this coming season.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Agreed with both thoughts - I'm actually a little - but just a little - nervous about Chiarelli shocking everyone and taking Eichel with the 1st pick instead of McDavid. Leading up to the lottery, I wanted McDavid more but after seeing Eichel in the NCAA and IIHF tourneys, along with his various interviews and combine activities, he's clearly a perfect fit for Buffalo and is arguably more mature physically to step in and help this coming season.

That's just because you've been tunnel-visioned on Eichel since the season ended. McDavid is still the better prospect, and if by some miracle Chiarelli doesn't pick him, everyone on this board should send him a thank you gift.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
That's just because you've been tunnel-visioned on Eichel since the season ended. McDavid is still the better prospect, and if by some miracle Chiarelli doesn't pick him, everyone on this board should send him a thank you gift.
Do you really think the difference is going to be significant over the course of their careers?

I really think the consensus #1 for McDavid has a Canadian handicap. All things being equal, the Canadian kid will get the nod given the prevalence of Canadians in the scouting and evaluation ranks. It's too bad they didn't play in the same league this past year.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Do you really think the difference is going to be significant over the course of their careers?

I really think the consensus #1 for McDavid has a Canadian handicap. All things being equal, the Canadian kid will get the nod given the prevalence of Canadians in the scouting and evaluation ranks. It's too bad they didn't play in the same league this past year.

No, and I'm perfectly happy to get Eichel. The difference between them isn't going to be anything major, but McDavid's still the better player. Virtually everyone on the planet (including everyone on this board) agreed with that during the season, and I'm not changing my mind simply because we're now getting Eichel.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
No, and I'm perfectly happy to get Eichel. The difference between them isn't going to be anything major, but McDavid's still the better player. Virtually everyone on the planet (including everyone on this board) agreed with that during the season, and I'm not changing my mind simply because we're now getting Eichel.

This is what I keep hearing from experts. Not much difference BUT McDavid is better...

For McDavid, I'm taking the experts word he's better than Eichel. Never seen the kid play other than Worlds, highlights and youtube and I doubt many of us other average joes have.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
yeah because McDavids 70+ assists says that right?

I'm loving Eichel but I'm not going to throw McDavid under the bus because it fits some narrative for homers.

I'm a die hard Sabres fan but I'm also a huge fan of the sport and this is a rivalry I can't wait to see. I'm actually hoping that the world finally gets to see an American Gretzky.

I can't see the Sabres and Oilers becoming rivals because they only play each other twice a year

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

No offense but it is quite ludicrous to be worried about landing Connor McDavid

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
No offense but it is quite ludicrous to be worried about landing Connor McDavid

Lmao it's a hilarious narrative. OMG what if Edmonton takes Eichel!

1.) They aren't
2.) If they do, we get CONNOR ****ING MCDAVID.

I fail to see the problem here. We're getting a superstar center prospect no matter what happens. (which is obvious: Edmonton takes McDavid, we take Eichel)

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Lmao it's a hilarious narrative. OMG what if Edmonton takes Eichel!

1.) They aren't
2.) If they do, we get CONNOR ****ING MCDAVID.

I fail to see the problem here. We're getting a superstar center prospect no matter what happens. (which is obvious: Edmonton takes McDavid, we take Eichel)
I keep replaying a scenario in my mind in which the Sabres have come to the draft with only a jersey that says "Eichel". The Oilers pick Eichel, and the Sabres awkwardly call McDavid and give him a jersey with masking tape over Eichel's name....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad