Speculation: Getting McDavid

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I know this has been discussed, but it's the only thing on my mind regarding the future of this team.

There is an 80% chance we end up at 2. Murray has discussed trading up from 2 to 1. Connor McDavid is a once in a lifetime prospect. What do you think Murray would do to move up? What would you be willing to move?

Ennis + + Zadorov + 2 overall + NYI 1st? Not enough? Too much?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I know this has been discussed, but it's the only thing on my mind regarding the future of this team.

There is an 80% chance we end up at 2. Murray has discussed trading up from 2 to 1. Connor McDavid is a once in a lifetime prospect. What do you think Murray would do to move up? What would you be willing to move?

No team is trading the rights to McDavid. It's either win the lottery or get ready for Eichel in Blue and Gold.

99problems

Feb 10, 2013
I don't think that is even a starting point..

I'd imagine 2 of Girgensons , reinhart, risto, plus #2 and the other 1st pick.. And that's just to keep the convo going.. It would be a massive over payment and colossal mistake.. Stick at #2, you will be getting a franchise player regardless..

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

this is the 342 McDavid thread....how far off is the draft? :sarcasm:

Why not just wait like 5 days. Then the rumors will fly or he is ours.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
this is the 342 McDavid thread....how far off is the draft? :sarcasm:

I know. I did a quick search for anything similar and didn't see it, and to me, this idea is so prominent that I thought it deserved It's own thread. The signs are there that this is a real thing Murray is thinking about, and I am too (sort of obsessively :laugh:).

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I know. I did a quick search for anything similar and didn't see it, and to me, this idea is so prominent that I thought it deserved It's own thread. The signs are there that this is a real thing Murray is thinking about, and I am too (sort of obsessively :laugh:).

What happened to your Eichel love affair? You might want to rekindle it. :)

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I'd imagine 2 of Girgensons , reinhart, risto, plus #2 and the other 1st pick.. And that's just to keep the convo going.. It would be a massive over payment and colossal mistake.. Stick at #2, you will be getting a franchise player regardless..

What happened to your Eichel love affair? You might want to rekindle it. :)

McDavid is Hellen of Troy. Reinhart + Girgensons + 2 + NYI 1st? Is that a big enough army? Risto is The only assets on this roster that makes me stop short.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Nobody will trade down from McDavid, and nobody will pay what it would cost. The gap between McDavid and Eichel isn't enough for me to part with players like Girgensons+ or Ristolainen+.

Winning the lottery is the only way we get McDavid.

Girgs x 28

Aug 1, 2014
Buffalo, NY

You are insane if you're even considering giving up this package. Eichel is going to be good enough if we don't get McDavid.

Why would we move Eichel (potential franchise #1 center), Ennis (good 2nd line winger), Zadorov (potential #2 defensemen, good 2nd pairing guy at the very least), and on top of that all another 1st round pick, somewhere in the 20's? Please dear god don't let this happen.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
giving all that up is really swinging for the fences, It may be McJesus but he is still a rookie, who knows what can happen with him really

SwordsUp

Apr 10, 2015
Pegulaville, NY
You are insane if you're even considering giving up this package. Eichel is going to be good enough if we don't get McDavid.

Why would we move Eichel (potential franchise #1 center), Ennis (good 2nd line winger), Zadorov (potential #2 defensemen, good 2nd pairing guy at the very least), and on top of that all another 1st round pick, somewhere in the 20's? Please dear god don't let this happen.

Agreed, I would hate that. I'd rater just pick Eichel, Pick a PP defenseman with the Isles pick, and keep our phenominal young depth and move forward.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
giving all that up is really swinging for the fences, It may be McJesus but he is still a rookie, who knows what can happen with him really
This. There have been plenty of highly touted draft busts in the past. Not that I think that is likely to happen with McDavid, but I also think the odds of him being worth the package that would be required to get him are not so great. Just do the wise thing and stick with Eichel + all of our other up-and-coming young talent.

Girgs x 28

Aug 1, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Agreed, I would hate that. I'd rater just pick Eichel, Pick a PP defenseman with the Isles pick, and keep our phenominal young depth and move forward.

Yep. I hope we use a bunch of our other picks and trade up to try and get Provorov. That kid is gonna be a beast. Has the potential to be a top pairing Dman, and he's left handed which is what we need.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
McDavid is awesome but so is Eichel. It would take 2 of these three players:

Reinhart
Ristolainen
Zadorov

plus Eichel to get it done. I would rather have the best team, not the best player. There will be no trade with a bunch of spare parts. The cost will hurt like hell.

On the flip side, if we win the lottery and the Coyotes want to overpay I'm all ears. If they need McDavid's marketing more than worrying about the cost I would trade down.

SwordsUp

Apr 10, 2015
Pegulaville, NY
McDavid is awesome but so is Eichel. It would take 2 of these three players:

Reinhart
Ristolainen
Zadorov

plus Eichel to get it done. I would rather have the best team, not the best player. There will be no trade with a bunch of spare parts. The cost will hurt like hell.

On the flip side, if we win the lottery and the Coyotes want to overpay I'm all ears. If they need McDavid's marketing more than worrying about the cost I would trade down.

This. Reinhart will be a 2C AT WORST. I am all but certain Risto is a career top pairing Defenseman. Zads has potential to be a top 2/4. Not worth trading. Just take Jack and run.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I;m willing to give up pretty much anything not named Girgensons, Ristolainen and Reinhart.

Problem is, it'd likely take 2 of those 3 to even get the team that has #1 interested.

Therefore, I'm not interested in paying what it would likely take to get McDavid.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011

If we end up with #1 pick, and someone will offer a package like that I say we take it

99problems

Feb 10, 2013
I just think what it would take to move up would almost be setting the team back. We could have our top 3 centers and number 1 D man with eichel, or we could have a number 1 center.. I don't think the gap is worth trading all those pieces.. We're set if we just stay at #2

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Hey I am not a mod...I just prefer to wait 5 days. its all over after that :nod:

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
I mean, it is theoretically possible.

Tim values McDavid very high, if lets say, Melony, thinks that difference between Mc and Eichel isn't that big, he could take an enormous over payment. (which will be on the table for sure)

2nd, Reinhart, Girgensons, Zadorov, other 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad