German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I'm waiting for the top 30 rsr! I'm charging because you must have forgotten because of your lack of time. About Julian Lutz, although you have seen little, do you enhance him at the Reichel / Peterka level or do you believe he is below / above?

I was hoping to do a really fancy looking list with the different tiers for the players, but that turned out to be a little too ambitious. (Still working on it so I may post it at a later date).
But for now here is the top 30 list as of now:

1Moritz Seider
2Tim Stützle
3Lukas Reichel
4John-Jason Peterka
5Julian Lutz
6Florian Elias
7Justin Schütz
8Roman Kechter
9Tobias Ancicka
10Taro Jentzsch
11Dominik Bokk
12Maximilian Glötzl
13Leo Hafenrichter
14Simon Wolf
15Haakon Hänelt
16Moritz Elias
17Luca Hauf
18Nino Kinder
19Tommy Pasanen
20Simon Gnyp
21Nikita Quapp
22Bennet Roßmy
23Joshua Samanski
24Samuel Dubé
25Hendrik Hane
26Arkadiusz Dziambor
27Leon Hüttl
28Filip Varejcka
29Filip Reisnecker
30Yannik Valenti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

After Luca Hauf at 17 I have still been moving players around, because the differences from there on are so marginal. So if I ever get around to post the "fancy list" there could be some changes from 18 onward.
As for Lutz: I have Seider and Stützle in their own tier and then Lutz along with Reichel and Peterka in the 2nd tier. Reichel is for me the best of those three. I was considering to put Lutz ahead of Peterka, but the gap between Lukas and JJ is not big enough for me to be comfortable to slot Lutz in there without having seen a bit more of him myself.
But his stock is clearly rising and might pass both Peterka and Reichel as soon as next season, if the things I have heard about him hold up and he develops further.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I was hoping to do a really fancy looking list with the different tiers for the players, but that turned out to be a little too ambitious. (Still working on it so I may post it at a later date).

1Moritz Seider
2Tim Stützle
3Lukas Reichel
4John-Jason Peterka
5Julian Lutz
6Florian Elias
7Justin Schütz
8Roman Kechter
9Tobias Ancicka
10Taro Jentzsch
11Dominik Bokk
12Maximilian Glötzl
13Leo Hafenrichter
14Simon Wolf
15Haakon Hänelt
16Moritz Elias
17Luca Hauf
18Nino Kinder
19Tommy Pasanen
20Simon Gnyp
21Nikita Quapp
22Bennet Roßmy
23Joshua Samanski
24Samuel Dubé
25Hendrik Hane
26Arkadiusz Dziambor
27Leon Hüttl
28Filip Varejcka
29Filip Reisnecker
30Yannik Valenti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
After Luca Hauf at 17 I have still been moving players around, because the differences from there on are so marginal. So if I ever get around to post the "fancy list" there could be some changes from 18 onward.
As for Lutz: I have Seider and Stützle in their own tier and then Lutz along with Reichel and Peterka in the 2nd tier. Reichel is for me the best of those three. I was considering to put Lutz ahead of Peterka, but the gap between Lukas and JJ is not big enough for me to be comfortable to slot Lutz in there without having seen a bit more of him myself.
But his stock is clearly rising and might pass both Peterka and Reichel as soon as next season, if the things I have heard about him hold up and he develops further.

You are a gift that just keeps on giving!

Very interesting list - and I wouldn't really see it any differently, especially in the top third.

I would add that Luca Münzenberger looked like the best Dman I've seen coming along since Seider. I was very impressed with his performance as an underager at the U20. He looked extremely confident and refined for his age. I thought it spoke volumes that he was ahead of Glötzl and Gnyp in the pecking order.

Also, although he has a 99 birthday, I feel Tim Wohlgemuth is turning into a very fine player who is going to spend a long, long time being a member of the national team.

Last edited:

Fabianski

Feb 5, 2021

1Moritz Seider
2Tim Stützle
3Lukas Reichel
4John-Jason Peterka
5Julian Lutz
6Florian Elias
7Justin Schütz
8Roman Kechter
9Tobias Ancicka
10Taro Jentzsch
11Dominik Bokk
12Maximilian Glötzl
13Leo Hafenrichter
14Simon Wolf
15Haakon Hänelt
16Moritz Elias
17Luca Hauf
18Nino Kinder
19Tommy Pasanen
20Simon Gnyp
21Nikita Quapp
22Bennet Roßmy
23Joshua Samanski
24Samuel Dubé
25Hendrik Hane
26Arkadiusz Dziambor
27Leon Hüttl
28Filip Varejcka
29Filip Reisnecker
30Yannik Valenti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What do you think about Luca Münzenberger. He looked pretty comfortable during the U20WC and more solid than Gnyp and Glötzl. Unfortunately he didn´t play in the DEL or DEL2 because of his collegeplans

Reactions: ebergeist

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
What do you think about Luca Münzenberger. He looked pretty comfortable during the U20WC and more solid than Gnyp and Glötzl. Unfortunately he didn´t play in the DEL or DEL2 because of his collegeplans

You actually explained why he did not make the list. I did rank more than 30, and he missed the cut at 34. But I absolutely loved his play at the World Juniors and came away very impressed. But the small sample size of that tournament and the fact that I did not get to see him play at all in any league competition this season, kept me from ranking him significantly higher. I could easily see him in the Pasanen / Gnyp range at the low end of the top 20 or even higher. But most of the time I am very reluctant to move push players prematurely, based on small sample sizes.

Of all the prospects outside of the top 30, Münzenberger is who I expect to be the one making me look the most foolish for ranking him so low. ;)

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto

1Moritz Seider
2Tim Stützle
3Lukas Reichel
4John-Jason Peterka
5Julian Lutz
6Florian Elias
7Justin Schütz
8Roman Kechter
9Tobias Ancicka
10Taro Jentzsch
11Dominik Bokk
12Maximilian Glötzl
13Leo Hafenrichter
14Simon Wolf
15Haakon Hänelt
16Moritz Elias
17Luca Hauf
18Nino Kinder
19Tommy Pasanen
20Simon Gnyp
21Nikita Quapp
22Bennet Roßmy
23Joshua Samanski
24Samuel Dubé
25Hendrik Hane
26Arkadiusz Dziambor
27Leon Hüttl
28Filip Varejcka
29Filip Reisnecker
30Yannik Valenti
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Where would you put the Heigls? Is there an NHL future for them?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Where would you put the Heigls? Is there an NHL future for them?

Sorry for the late reply, first I was sick and busy with work, and then I forgot about it.

When I made that list they ended up missing the cut and in the end I had them at 42 and 43. I don't really see an NHL future for them.
However, I haven't seen them at all this last season, which makes me hesitant to rule anything out. The last time I saw them was at an U17 tournament in the 19-20 season where they were a little underwhelming. Not bad though, just I had expected more from them.

I really hope I get a chance to watch them more next season. It would be great if they could make the DEL soon and then we will see if they can have an impact on that level.
Occasionally prospects that go undrafted after good performances in juniors at the DNL level, turn out quite well a few years later, like Tim Wohlgemuth, and may even make it on the list for some NHL teams, but most of them end up as solid DEL players at best.

I really can't wait for things going back to normal so I can watch more prospects again and be better informed. Right now I feel like I did a few years ago, when I was very reluctant to put my opinions out there, because they were almost all based on stat watching.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
  • Moritz Elias has signed for 3 years with Adler Mannheim.
  • Looks like 2023 eligible Chris Kirschenbauer will play the upcoming season for Sandvikens in Sweden

Keep the posts coming...

I'm expecting Elias to be smack dab back in the DNL with some time in Heilbronn along the way. I think that's how they'll play that, especially in light of how incredibly stacked the team is this winter.

Interesting note on Kirschenbauer - any word on where Kechter will play? Is he still scheduled to return to the Rögle organization?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Keep the posts coming...

I'm expecting Elias to be smack dab back in the DNL with some time in Heilbronn along the way. I think that's how they'll play that, especially in light of how incredibly stacked the team is this winter.

Interesting note on Kirschenbauer - any word on where Kechter will play? Is he still scheduled to return to the Rögle organization?

As far as I know Kechter will be back in Rögle for next season. Probably in their U20 team, which I think would be good for him. That is also where eliteprospects has him listed as playing next season and usually they are accurate with these things.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
As far as I know Kechter will be back in Rögle for next season. Probably in their U20 team, which I think would be good for him. That is also where eliteprospects has him listed as playing next season and usually they are accurate with these things.

And they tend to know exactly what's going on in Sweden... :popcorn:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Is the central scouting for the 2022 draft out yet?

No, I don't think so. If I recall correctly they released their first list of the season with their "Players to watch" in late October last season, which was later than usual due to COVID.
But in 2019, I think, it was also not until late September or early October that the list was released.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Awesome, love your rankings Mav! Thank you.

Thank you for the kind words.
I've finished the rankings for 2022 and 2023. (There may be minor changes up until Sunday, because I am still a little unsure about some of it.)
For the drafts further down the line I will post my watch lists (not rankings) within the next few days. I think I am done for today and spend the rest of the day finishing the work I interrupted to work on my rankings and nursing my broken toe.

EDIT: I will probably put the players on my watch list for 2024 in tiers, but not rank them within those tiers.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Thank you for the kind words.
I've finished the rankings for 2022 and 2023. (There may be minor changes up until Sunday, because I am still a little unsure about some of it.)
For the drafts further down the line I will post my watch lists (not rankings) within the next few days. I think I am done for today and spend the rest of the day finishing the work I interrupted to work on my rankings and nursing my broken toe.

EDIT: I will probably put the players on my watch list for 2024 in tiers, but not rank them within those tiers.
Looking forward to seeing your 2024 list!

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Looking forward to seeing your 2024 list!

Should be ready sometime this afternoon.

All these lists are very much preliminary, because I have a lot of catching up to do after not really getting to see much for the past 18 months.
And if anybody has any players I may have overlooked, please let me know. There is a good chance I have missed some.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Anyone know if Paul Mayer is injured? i’ve been searching but I cant find anything. He’s missed 3 straight games now.
He last played against Kölner EC U20 in their 4-2 loss and Mayer played 17 minutes but he hasnt played a game since.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
No idea. Most teams rarely provide information regarding injuries of their youth players.

But injury or illness certainly seems most likely. Hopefully he returns soon.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Anyone know if Paul Mayer is injured? i’ve been searching but I cant find anything. He’s missed 3 straight games now.
He last played against Kölner EC U20 in their 4-2 loss and Mayer played 17 minutes but he hasnt played a game since.
Yes, he got injured in that game. Was difficult to see in the stream but I think he fell and his arm was stepped on? Could be a cut. He was able to skate off holding his arm and didn’t return. It’s on Sporttotal TV.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
2024 Draft Watchlist
PosNameTeamLeagueTier
DPaul MayerESV KaufbeurenDNL U20 I1
DEdwin TropmannKölner JunghaieDEB U17 I Nord2
FPaul VinzensRed Bull Hockey AcademyICEYSL2
FMaximilian BrunnerEHC Straubing U17DEB U17 I Süd3
FLeon BußmannEHC München U17DEB U17 II Süd3
FMax HerzogJungadler MannheimDEB U17 I Süd3
FNikolas BigginsJungadler MannheimDEB U17 I Süd4
DLars BoseckerRed Bull Hockey AcademyICEYSL4
DMax HenseKrefelder EV U17DEB U17 I Nord4
FBennet OttenDüsseldorfer EG U17DEB U17 I Nord4
DMatthias PapeKrefelder EV U17DEB U17 I Nord4
FElias PulRed Bull Hockey AcademyICEJL4
DManuel SchamsJungadler MannheimDEB U17 I Süd4
GErik EderEHC 80 Nürnberg U17DEB U17 I Süd5
DRio KaiserRed Bull Hockey AcademyICEJL5
FArtjom KhaydarovEHC FreiburgDEB U17 I Süd5
DCameron LeaskSchwenninger ERC U17DEB U17 I Süd5
DJakob PeukertESV Kaufbeuren U17DEB U17 I Süd5
FFelix KerbelRed Bull Hockey AcademyICEJL6
FNick MaulRed Bull Hockey AcademyICEJL6
FTim SchützKrefelder EV U17DEB U17 I Nord6
FTobias SchwarzEV Landshut U17DEB U17 I Süd6
FSimon SeidlEV Landshut U17DEB U17 I Süd6
GLinus VieillardEisbären Juniors BerlinDEB U17 I Nord6
DFabiano BenzJungadler MannheimDEB U17 I Süd7
FDimitrij HaberlingEisbären Juniors BerlinDEB U17 I Nord7
FEden-Angelus HofverbergETC Crimmitschau U17DEB U17 II Nord7
FMika KechterKölner JunghaieDEB U17 I Nord7
FLuis KühbergerEast Coast Militia 14U AAABEAST 14U7
DMaximilian MerklEHC 80 Nürnberg U17DEB U17 I Süd7
DFinn SerikowEV Landshut U17DEB U17 I Süd7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jan-Felix Faupel?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Jan-Felix Faupel?

Haven't been able to really watch him after he joined Mannheim. I have almost exclusively watched U20 games and he has only played twice for the U20 team so far I think, and not in the games I watched.
These lists are still very much incomplete and will likely change quite a bit over the season as I catch up with watching streams (won't be able to go to any live games for a while).
At the moment there are still some names on these lists that probably shouldn't be and some are missing who should be on there.

But thanks for bringing him to my attention, I will definitely try to catch a few games he is playing in and see what he's got.

Reactions: JotAlan

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Since we’re talking about things changing over the next years, here’s a bold prediction: Max Hense will be #1 on that 2024 list.

Reactions: JotAlan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad