German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hey what is the word on Jakub Borzecki and Maksymilian Szuber? Borzecki was 64th in NHL central scoutings list for EU skaters, but what kind of players are these guys?

Borzecki may well be suiting up for the Dubuque Fighting Saints next season, depending on if the USHL is up and running.

As for Szuber, nothing to get excited about just yet. He might have been Dman #2 or 3 on the U18 team, and he should be quite attractive to certain programs around Germany, but there's too little a body of work at this point to expect interest out of North America just now.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
@Appleyard on John-Jason Peterka:

"While physically well-developed already for his age, he is still quite raw, and some may regard him as a slight “project”. The German winger has the kind of skill-set that makes you think if things go well developmentally he could be a star. He models his game on Patrick Kane, and it is easy to see that in his play. He relishes using his hands and speed to beat defensemen, and when his confidence is up he can make grown men with years of pro experience stand-off him and lose their gap due to the fear of being walked. Peterka is not just a perimeter player though, and likes getting to the danger areas, when he can use his plus shot well to create chances. One thing that marks out his shot versus a lot of players his age is the ability to utilise his wrister effectively while in full stride. His soft hands also mean he can feather some beautiful passes into danger areas, but so far in his career he has seemed better suited to being a “complimentary” player."

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
@Appleyard on Lukas Reichel:

"The young German has great vision and impressing passing ability, but the foundations for where he wins on ice have been built due to what is between his ears. It is rare for an 18 year old to be capable of playing such a mistake free game, especially in a pro league, and especially when they go into every physical battle at a disadvantage. He patrols lanes well, has an active stick, and is more than capable of slotting in for his center in the defensive zone if they are caught up ice. Reichel is also a competent penalty killer while required to fulfill that role. It speaks volumes for how much he prides himself on the minutiae of his chosen profession that it is a surprise to see him out of position, caught up ice, or late to make a play. Offensively he is a pass first player who skates very well, having both good speed and impressive agility. However, this year he has shown he can be a goalscorer when given the opportunity and a good play-making center."

Reactions: Appleyard

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Does anyone know anything about Dominik Krüger? He scored 5 ppg (lmao) in what I assume is a very bad league (U17 division 2).

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
Not really, but the U17 D2 is a very bad league. Especially the nord group. Every player with slightly above-average abilities are able to score more than one point there. Especially in PP.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Not really, but the U17 D2 is a very bad league. Especially the nord group. Every player with slightly above-average abilities are able to score more than one point there. Especially in PP.

This.

Krüger is a solid young player, but if I were to venture a guess he will top out as a great player in the Oberliga or a decent/good player in the DEL2 with maybe even a short stint in the DEL. Obviously he is still young enough to prove me wrong, but any top level player that has ever played in that league (there aren't that many I think) moved on to one of the bigger clubs at a much earlier stage of their development.
The only recent player I can think of who played in that league (in its previous incarnation when it was U16) and has made his way to the DEL (though it's too early to tell if he can stick there) is Steven Raabe for Wolfsburg.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
... and Raabe is not really an Elite Player. In my opinion, he will become an upper league player as soon as he no longer falls under the U rule.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Don’t think there really are any, as far as I can tell. Maybe Haakon Hänelt if he plays pro.

Yes, there are a bunch of kids who could carve out a nice pro career in Germany like Niedenz, Proske, the Heigl twins, Zap, Cimmerman, Korte, Roßmy and maybe a few others. But Hänelt, at this point, seems to be the only one with even the slightest chance to turn into a legit prospect by the time of the draft.

So to echo your statement, the short answer to the question from @Mc Hael Productions is "not really".

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Yes, there are a bunch of kids who could carve out a nice pro career in Germany like Niedenz, Proske, the Heigl twins, Zap, Cimmerman, Korte, Roßmy and maybe a few others. But Hänelt, at this point, seems to be the only one with even the slightest chance to turn into a legit prospect by the time of the draft.

So to echo your statement, the short answer to the question from @Mc Hael Productions is "not really".
Of the names you listed, I only really like Proske (based on limited viewings). I think he has a lot of potential. Won't be good enough in time for the draft, or at least NHL scouts won't see him in Mannheim, but I think he's one who might be able to play in the CHL next season and then can see where it goes.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Just saw Niedenz and Bartuli are playing for Cologne now. Big get for them, big loss for DEG?

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Apparently Nico Daws approached the German hockey union about representing them before his breakout season in the OHL this year but was denied. Does anyone know why? With how poor the pipeline looks to be in net it came as a surprise to me but perhaps they only want homegrown talent? Is there a goalie at any of the youth levels that looks like he could make an impact in the NHL?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
John-Jason Peterka (#77) in his first two games in Austria:

First game:
Beautiful playmaking for an assist (3:02 to 3:30 of the video) and a goal (4:33 to 4:48).

Second game:
A costly giveaway (0:20 to 0:38) and a one-timer goal (1:10 to 1:25) on the PP.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Julian Lutz (draft eligible in 2022) played for RB Munich in the Magenta Sport Cup.
He got 7:45 minutes of ice time and had 1 assist (on the gwg).

I did not get to watch the game live, but I think I recorded it. So I may watch it tomorrow if that is the case.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I still haven't watched the whole game, but here are the highlights and Lutz' assist starts at 2:43.
He takes a check and is pinned against the board below the goal line but still manages a pass into the slot, to set up his teammate for the goal.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Justin Schütz (Salzburg/Florid Panthers draft pick) profiled by former Atlanta Thrashers scout Bernd Freimüller:

Pro: Mobility, agility, first step. Keeps his feet moving.
Con: Lack of orientation, often skates into traffic and can't get out of it again. Hockey sense and physis. An "in-betweener": neither a great scorer nor a physical player.
States as of now: Average in the Austrian league, AHL/ECHL borderliner.
Three-year prediction: Would need a big leap in performance to get an NHL contract. Rights expiring in 2022. DEL is more likely.

Source (in German): https://www.laola1.at/de/red/winter...wie-sieht-die-zukunft-der-nhl-leihgaben-aus-/

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
With Karsums signing at Krefield, so many Russia/KHL ties in that club? Why?

I think they had a russian investor for a while (that did not go well). Quite recently they have now a Swiss investor, but the club appears to be in total chaos.
As far as I am aware the new GM, installed by the new investor, sent away most of the fan favourites among the players. They also replaced the coach, but their new hire (Glen Hanlon) as already left the club again. The new GM is also no longer with the club and has been replaced by 24 year old Sergey Saveljev, who worked as their chief scout before that.
So Saveljev might be the link to Russia and the KHL, but I am not sure.
However the club is a mess and the relationship to their own fans is very strained at the moment. For them it is probably a good thing (not financially but otherwise) that there are no fans allowed right now.
This is just based on news articles I have read. If I got anything wrong, maybe there are people more familiar with Krefeld who can correct me.

Huusko

Dec 23, 2020
I am so surprised about the first impressions by the 2003/2004 born prospects. Only a few games played in the DEL, and with Adrian Klein (2003), Haakon Hänelt (2003), Kevin Niedenz (2003), Nils Elten (2003), Yannick Proske (2003), Moritz Elias (2004), Leo Hafenrichter (2004) several youngsters had their chance to play DEL hockey. With Bennet Roßmy (2003) and some other 2003-players also playing in the DEL2. Roßmy already has 5 pts in 11 games. Moreover, Julian Lutz (2004) was able to play for Salzburg in the highest Austrian league. Could there be some surprises?

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I am so surprised about the first impressions by the 2003/2004 born prospects. Only a few games played in the DEL, and with Adrian Klein (2003), Haakon Hänelt (2003), Kevin Niedenz (2003), Nils Elten (2003), Yannick Proske (2003), Moritz Elias (2004), Leo Hafenrichter (2004) several youngsters had their chance to play DEL hockey. With Bennet Roßmy (2003) and some other 2003-players also playing in the DEL2. Roßmy already has 5 pts in 11 games. Moreover, Julian Lutz (2004) was able to play for Salzburg in the highest Austrian league. Could there be some surprises?

Here are some of my thoughts on the players mentioned and their season so far:

Adrian Klein (2003): He is physically mature and should be able to handle pro hockey even at this age, but I don't see NHL potential. Though, I am definitely looking forward to see him play some more at this level and see if he could surprise.

Haakon Hänelt (2003): The only guy of the 2003 group I could see getting drafted next year, though I think it's a long shot. Still has some growing to do, but has shown some skill, good skating and a very good attitude and hustle when he played in the Magentasport Cup before the season. I hope he gets some more chances in the DEL as the season goes on (He played only 1:07min in the first game and was not dressed in the second).

Kevin Niedenz (2003): Like Hänelt Niedenz did not get to play in Game 2 of the DEL season, after playing small minutes (04:57) in Game 1, which was disappointing because I liked what I saw in those almost 5 minutes and wanted to see more. There could be something there with Niedenz, but he would definitely need more ice time. If he cannot get that in the DEL I hope he will be loaned to a DEL2 team.

Nils Elten (2003): Can't really say anything about him, other than that while he was dressed today, which counts as a game played, he did not actually play for a single second and just sat on the bench the whole game.

Yannick Proske (2003): I was very curious to see him play, because he is currently my number 3 prospect behind Hänelt and Roßmy for the 2021 draft among German prospects, but he only got to play a little over 4 minutes which were not overly revealing as far as his ability to play at this level is concerned. Relly hope to see more of him in the coming weeks.

Moritz Elias (2004): I absolutely loved his play in Game1 when he played over 10 minutes and really showed some impressive skill for such a young player and also some decent resilience for such a small player, like taking a heavy open ice hit from a significantly bigger player, but shaking it off and just playing on unafraid and not backing down. Also had a nice breakaway attempt, and while the move he pulled off did not result in a goal for himself it created a rebound and left the goalie out of position which allowed his teammate to score and Elias to pick up his first DEL point. Unfortunately he only played a little over 3 minutes today.

Leo Hafenrichter (2004): He is one of my favourite German prospects for the 2022 draft and I think he has great potential, but the DEL might be a little too much for him right now. He only played one shift (37 seconds) in Game1 and did not play, although he was dressed, in Game2. I hope he will soon find a place where he can acutally get some real ice time.

Bennet Roßmy (2003): I am pretty sure he could play in the DEL the same way that Niedenz, Hänelt and Proske do, but maybe it will turn out to be better for his development to actually play consistent minutes at the lower level of the DEL2 compared to spending most of his time on the bench in the DEL.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Huusko

Dec 23, 2020
Fantastic description of the prospects, thanks. May be some of them will surprise us having a chance to play elite hockey and I guess for their development it could be a fantastic step. The U18 could have a team with lots of players having played already prof. hockey.

Any thoughts about Luca Hauf, who was born in 2004 and playing in the 3rd league (Oberliga)?

Luca Hauf at eliteprospects.com

12 pts. in 15 games are not too bad. May be he will get a chance to play in the DEL this season, too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad