German Prospects for the NHL Draft

kalle wirsch

May 29, 2015
Over years the DEL clubs saying the german youngsters are too bad for the DEL.
Corana shows that isn't true.All the youngstars are playing very well.Maybe there will be a significant change in the development of german hockey

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
@Maverick41 when are you going to update the German prospects for the nhl draft?

I will be updating some of the rankings today.
I did not get to watch a lot of hockey from these guys this season due to COVID so any changes in rankings are based on a very small sample size, but that's all I got.

For now I will only update the rankings for the 2021 and 2022 draft. Beyond that I really have almost no new information, so any updates to my watch lists for later drafts would be pretty pointless.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I will be updating some of the rankings today.
I did not get to watch a lot of hockey from these guys this season due to COVID so any changes in rankings are based on a very small sample size, but that's all I got.

For now I will only update the rankings for the 2021 and 2022 draft. Beyond that I really have almost no new information, so any updates to my watch lists for later drafts would be pretty pointless.
Thanks for your work, this is really great!

I don’t know much about these players but have one question anyway: how come Kechter is A rated and ahead of the Lutz tier? Especially Lutz is a player I liked in the one game I saw and he seems to be really productive at the pro level now. He also outproduced Kechter in the national teams last season and Kechter has 0 points in the Swedish U20 in 5 games. I’ve never seen Kechter and only know his stats, so just asking out of curiosity and fully trust your opinion here.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Thanks for your work, this is really great!

I don’t know much about these players but have one question anyway: how come Kechter is A rated and ahead of the Lutz tier? Especially Lutz is a player I liked in the one game I saw and he seems to be really productive at the pro level now. He also outproduced Kechter in the national teams last season and Kechter has 0 points in the Swedish U20 in 5 games. I’ve never seen Kechter and only know his stats, so just asking out of curiosity and fully trust your opinion here.

This was very close and I sort of fell victim to my own definition of the different tiers. Let me elaborate a little on the circumstances:
I had Kechter ahead of everyone else for a while since I saw him just flat out dominating at the U15 and then U17 level in Germany. At that time I had not seen Lutz at all and knew nothing about him.

When I finally saw them both play for Germany in 2019 (U16 and U17), their production was similar (Lutz scored 2 more points at the U17 level I believe), but I thought Kechter was driving and impacting the play more. The difference was not great, but I still felt not comfortable to put Lutz in the same tier as Kechter, because I had seen so little of him, and had no infos on his play for Salzburg.

This season I have not seen Kechter and only a little of Lutz (where he played very well and impressed me a lot). Based on this I was actually ready to put them in the same tier, I just wasn't sure if I should move Lutz up to A or Kechter down to B.
And this is where my own definition for the tiers became problematic, because even though I consider Kechter and Lutz to be of very similar quality (as far as I can tell given the extremely limited viewings recently) I think Kechter has a better chance of being a higher draft pick (Tier A: Players I expect to get drafted in the first 3 rounds), simply because he plays in Sweden, whereas Lutz may get less exposure and thus fall to a later round.

Thank you for your comment which made me reconsider my approach. I think I will revise my definition a little, so that external circumstances like I described here won't factor in and I'll go just by skill, potential, etc., and make some changes accordingly, though Lutz might be the only player affected by this. I hoope this clarifies things, and if you ever have any input on players feel free to share, I am always interested in even the smallest scraps of information about these players that might inform my opinions.

It will probably be a few days, before I get around to rewriting the definitions. Everybody feel free to pester me about this if I haven't got it done by the middle of next week, because if that's the case I have likely forgotten, due to work something unimportant like that. ;)

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
This was very close and I sort of fell victim to my own definition of the different tiers. Let me elaborate a little on the circumstances:
I had Kechter ahead of everyone else for a while since I saw him just flat out dominating at the U15 and then U17 level in Germany. At that time I had not seen Lutz at all and knew nothing about him.

When I finally saw them both play for Germany in 2019 (U16 and U17), their production was similar (Lutz scored 2 more points at the U17 level I believe), but I thought Kechter was driving and impacting the play more. The difference was not great, but I still felt not comfortable to put Lutz in the same tier as Kechter, because I had seen so little of him, and had no infos on his play for Salzburg.

This season I have not seen Kechter and only a little of Lutz (where he played very well and impressed me a lot). Based on this I was actually ready to put them in the same tier, I just wasn't sure if I should move Lutz up to A or Kechter down to B.
And this is where my own definition for the tiers became problematic, because even though I consider Kechter and Lutz to be of very similar quality (as far as I can tell given the extremely limited viewings recently) I think Kechter has a better chance of being a higher draft pick (Tier A: Players I expect to get drafted in the first 3 rounds), simply because he plays in Sweden, whereas Lutz may get less exposure and thus fall to a later round.

Thank you for your comment which made me reconsider my approach. I think I will revise my definition a little, so that external circumstances like I described here won't factor in and I'll go just by skill, potential, etc., and make some changes accordingly, though Lutz might be the only player affected by this. I hoope this clarifies things, and if you ever have any input on players feel free to share, I am always interested in even the smallest scraps of information about these players that might inform my opinions.

It will probably be a few days, before I get around to rewriting the definitions. Everybody feel free to pester me about this if I haven't got it done by the middle of next week, because if that's the case I have likely forgotten, due to work something unimportant like that. ;)
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I’d actually argue that Lutz is in a very good position, though. Schütz was drafted straight out of RB Academy, Peterka developed there before playing in Munich and now Salzburg to start the year. The Red Bull program is quite well known at this point and I’m sure Lutz will be in the DEL for his draft year.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
2022 Draft

- January Ranking -

Skaters:

RkPosNameTeamLeagueRating
1FRoman KechterRögle BK J18J18 RegionA
2FJulian LutzEC SalzburgICE HLB
3FMoritz EliasNürnberg Ice TigersDELB
4FLuca HaufKrefelder EV U23Oberliga NordB
5DLeo HafenrichterKölner JunghaieDNL U20 IC
6DRayan BettaharJungadler MannheimDNL U20 IC
7FVasilii PanovJungadler MannheimDNL U20 IC
8FMaksim AntonDüsseldorfer EG U20DNL U20 IC
9FMatthias PischoffKölner JunghaieDEB U17 I NordC
10DAdrian KleinStraubing TigersDELC
11FBenedikt DiebolderESV Kaufbeuren U17DEB U17 I SüdC
12DPhilip SinnEC Salzburg U20ICE YSLD
13FLukas UllmannERC Ingolstadt U20DNL U20 ID
14FEric HördlerEisbären Juniors BerlinDNL U20 ID
15FPhilipp KreningEC Salzburg U20ICE YSLD
16FMaximilian HeimJungadler MannheimDNL U20 ID
17LDVincent GrunewaldKölner JunghaieDEB U17 I NordD
18FLennard NieleckEC Salzburg U20ICE YSLD
19FDorian KielbasaKrefelder EV U20DNL U20 ID
20FKevin SchinkoEV Landshut U17DEB U17 I SüdD
21DHans DrunkenmölleEisbären Juniors BerlinDEB U17 I NordD
22FDaniel AssavolyukEC Salzburg U20ICE YSLD
23FNikita KrymskiyVityaz Podolsk U17Russia U17D
24CLuca HartenfelsKölner JunghaieDNL U20 ID
25FValentino WeißgerberKölner JunghaieDNL U20 ID
26DAlessandro FalkEisbären Juniors BerlinDNL U20 ID
27FLuigi CalceJungadler MannheimDNL U20 ID
28FVeit OswaldEV Landshut U20DNL U20 ID
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Goalies:

RkPosNameTeamLeagueRating
1GSimon WolfEC Salzburg U20ICE YSLB
2GLenny-Alexander SturmDüsseldorfer EG U17DEB U17 I NordD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

A-Players: Could turn into early round picks.
B-Players: Potential mid- to late-round picks
C-Players: Maybe a late round pick, but more likely won't be drafted
D-Players: Small chance they could develop into NHL level players, but not in time to be drafted.

Julian Lutz: A
Roman Kechter, Moritz Elias, Luca Hauf and Leo Hafenrichter: B

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
@Maverick41 In your opinion, what would be the top 10 German players with the most potential from the 2000/2005 harvest?
Do you mean a Top 10 of all the players born in the years from 2000 to 2005?
If so, my list would look a little like this (Some may think it's a little controversial at the top, but whatever):

1. D - Moritz Seider (2001)
2. F - Tim Stützle (2002)
3. F - Lukas Reichel (2002)
4. F - John Jason Peterka (2002)
5. F - Julian Lutz (2004)
6. F - Florian Elias (2002)
7. F - Justin Schütz (2000)
8. F - Roman Kechter (2004)
9. G - Tobias Ancicka (2001)
10. F - Taro Jentzsch (2000)

Just for context: I think a player like Dominik Bokk still has a lot of potential, enough to rank him here if I just went by pure potential, but by now I just don't see him reaching that potential, so I left him off. If I extended the list, he would be around 11 or 12.
And I left off players born in 2005 entirely because I just have no reference for their abilities and talent, because I could not watch them enough due to the pandemic and the cancellation of junior hockey in November. I guess, none of them would have made to top 10, but again, it's very difficult to rank them compared to players who are actually playing hockey right now.

Lutz is a bit of a guess, based on a small sample size of watching him and how he looked there compared to others I got to see a lot moe, like Kechter, Hänelt, M. Elias. Normally I would not rank a player under those circumstances, because sample size matters to me, but Lutz was just so damn good and impressive, and others who have seen him more are so high on him, that I put him fairly high on my list here.

Any feedback (positive or negative) is welcome, but I am insanely busy with work these days (today is an exception so far), so I may not respond to comments or questions right away.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
If so, my list would look a little like this (Some may think it's a little controversial at the top, but whatever):

Just for context: I think a player like Dominik Bokk still has a lot of potential, enough to rank him here if I just went by pure potential, but by now I just don't see him reaching that potential, so I left him off. If I extended the list, he would be around 11 or 12.
And I left off players born in 2005 entirely because I just have no reference for their abilities and talent, because I could not watch them enough due to the pandemic and the cancellation of junior hockey in November. I guess, none of them would have made to top 10, but again, it's very difficult to rank them compared to players who are actually playing hockey right now.

Lutz is a bit of a guess, based on a small sample size of watching him and how he looked there compared to others I got to see a lot moe, like Kechter, Hänelt, M. Elias. Normally I would not rank a player under those circumstances, because sample size matters to me, but Lutz was just so damn good and impressive, and others who have seen him more are so high on him, that I put him fairly high on my list here.

Any feedback (positive or negative) is welcome, but I am insanely busy with work these days (today is an exception so far), so I may not respond to comments or questions right away.

As for the time to answer me, no problem. I'm waiting.

I am a hockey lover and I am happy to see the evolution of hockey in countries like Germany. It is a very talented generation. Great list! It was exactly the way you listed that I wanted to know. Where would you put Moritz Elias and Haakon Hänelt?

Reactions: Maverick41

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
As for the time to answer me, no problem. I'm waiting.

I am a hockey lover and I am happy to see the evolution of hockey in countries like Germany. It is a very talented generation. Great list! It was exactly the way you listed that I wanted to know. Where would you put Moritz Elias and Haakon Hänelt?

This is just a guess but I would expect them to be in the 15-25 range if I did an extended list.
I'll try to do a longer list, maybe top 30, by the end of the week.

It is so funny to think back to 2009 or 2010 when I really started to get into hockey (beyond the national team, NHL and DEL). It really started with Tom Kühnhackl and Tobias Rieder for me. Then I started to look for other young players with interesting stats and immediately found Leon Draisaitl and Dominik Kahun. It all snowballed from there. And it is funny to think back to some of the players I used to get excited about and with hindsight now knowing that they never really had a chance to make it big.
The years from 92 to 98 were really good, buoyed by the exceptional 95 birth year.
And at the top it will difficult for this group (2000 - 2005) to match them, but 2002 like 1995 ist just a really good year and there appears to be far more depth than with the players born in the mid 90s.
Some of the players that are just middle of the pack now, would have made me very excited a few years back.

However I am really worried that the pandemic will screw many of our prospects. We were, I think, the first nation to shut down junior hockey for the season, and there seems no path to get things back on track in the near future. This is a lot of kids just missing an entire year, and maybe more of development. The ones that were old enough and good enough to play pro hockey, should be fine, but everybody else...

Reactions: JotAlan

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

It's a very good guess!

He's the real deal and has clearly been Germany's top 16-year-old player this season. He looks like he has all the tools to be just as desired as Reichel and Peterka were in the last draft.

I'm not sure if he can reach Stützle-style heights in prospect status (highly doubtful), but he's going to be a good one and at this juncture, I'd be shocked if he's not a top 60 draft pick in the 2022 draft, which is shaping up to be a doozy.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
However I am really worried that the pandemic will screw many of our prospects. We were, I think, the first nation to shut down junior hockey for the season, and there seems no path to get things back on track in the near future. This is a lot of kids just missing an entire year, and maybe more of development. The ones that were old enough and good enough to play pro hockey, should be fine, but everybody else...

This is a major issue. And both a sad and possibly very impactful side effect of the pandemic and Germany's decisions with respect to amateur and youth sports, with ice hockey having been hit heavily by default of it being a hall/arena-based sport.

In general, an entire wave of players has just missed most, if not all of, an entire season. What repercussions will this have?

On the flip side, an incredible amount of U21 players nationwide were ultimately playing pro hockey in one of the three pro levels and I'd gander that more U18 players were taking (semi) regular shifts at one of the three pro levels than perhaps ever before. This has led to a U18 team that will likely feature just about an entire line-up of players who played pro in Germany or in the AlpsHL this past season.

Alas, to think that all three DNL tiers saw their seasons end in November and never resume is a tragedy for that class of players. Many young men needed this vital year of experience and weren't ready for pro hockey.

Last edited:

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
This is just a guess but I would expect them to be in the 15-25 range if I did an extended list.
I'll try to do a longer list, maybe top 30, by the end of the week.

It is so funny to think back to 2009 or 2010 when I really started to get into hockey (beyond the national team, NHL and DEL). It really started with Tom Kühnhackl and Tobias Rieder for me. Then I started to look for other young players with interesting stats and immediately found Leon Draisaitl and Dominik Kahun. It all snowballed from there. And it is funny to think back to some of the players I used to get excited about and with hindsight now knowing that they never really had a chance to make it big.
The years from 92 to 98 were really good, buoyed by the exceptional 95 birth year.
And at the top it will difficult for this group (2000 - 2005) to match them, but 2002 like 1995 ist just a really good year and there appears to be far more depth than with the players born in the mid 90s.
Some of the players that are just middle of the pack now, would have made me very excited a few years back.

I'm waiting for the top 30 rsr! I'm charging because you must have forgotten because of your lack of time. About Julian Lutz, although you have seen little, do you enhance him at the Reichel / Peterka level or do you believe he is below / above?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->