German football 2020/21

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Barn burner of a second half between Bayern Munich and Hertha Berlin. Bayern are getting sloppy and the congested fixtures are definitely catching up to them. That said they've been a treat to watch this year and have fully deserved all the accolades the last few months.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Probably not the best thread for this, but disappointed ESPN bought the American rights only have them on ESPN+ Seems like every network has decided Soccer can be used to sell streaming service instead of adding it to there cable channels.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
His physical tools didn't develop well at all and (partly because of that) he has rarely gotten the chance to play as a striker for Werder to show off his shooting technique even when he has played. I'd guess a lot of the ways he scored goals as a junior player aren't really available to him now. The hazards of hyping a 17 year old before he has played at a professional level at all...

J.Eggestein now loaned to LASK of Austrian league, does he even come a regular player in the Bundesliga anymore.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
On the other hand they have a manageable group with Zenit, Lazio, and Club Brugge. Giving him a few minutes in one or two already decided matches to see what it's all about could definitely help him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dortmund doesn't have a real CF beyond Haaland. He won't play when Haaland's not playing. If he does extremely well, he'll get some minutes as a direct back up to Haaland. If he doesn't play well, he likely won't play very much.

And he was going to be promoted to the Bundesliga squad for November when the rules allow for it, so the Champions League is no different. In fact, I'd say that it's easier to give him minutes in UCL. Realistically, Dortmund's not winning the UCL. We'll get past the group stage, and hopefully win a round or two from there. In the Bundesliga, we can't afford to drop points easily if we want a chance to beat Bayern. Harder to use a young player in that type of game, in my opinion.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I understand what Albatros and Pavel are saying. But the kid has zero experience with the big boys, he played against children until now. It's a lot of pressure right from the start of his pro career. I wish him the best and that he can hndle the pressure.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He's anyhow training with the pros already, of course he will be very green but I think after four months he will have got used to the basics even if it's just practice.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I understand what Albatros and Pavel are saying. But the kid has zero experience with the big boys, he played against children until now. It's a lot of pressure right from the start of his pro career. I wish him the best and that he can hndle the pressure.
Is there more pressure playing against Club Brugge or against Schalke?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is there more pressure playing against Club Brugge or against Schalke?

Schalke easily. Dortmund can lose to Schalke because it's a rivalry. Bayern has no problem with them. Leipzig, Leverkusen, Gladbach won't either. We will, which gives us a tougher game on the schedule that these other teams don't have.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Other teams have rivals, too.

Not to the same level right now.

Gladbach: Koln, who haven't even always been in the first division in recent seasons.
Leverkusen: No huge rivalry that I'm aware of.
Leipzig: I'm not even sure they have any rival.
Bayern: Stuttgart wasn't even in the first division last season. Nurneberg is in the second division.

Dortmund has this more difficult than everyone else. Maybe Schalke's quality will drop so low in upcoming seasons that it evens out, but Dortmund has had to face an extra two games in these recent seasons against a team that can beat them on any day when if these two teams met under different club affiliations Dortmund would win almost every time its played because the quality of the squad is that much better. Everyone knows in the big rivalry games that anyone can win. Dortmund face Schalke knowing that twice a year. Leipzig faces Schalke knowing its probably no more difficult than facing Mainz or Augsburg.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Don't forget HSV and Werder. This rivalry is massive.

The only team in Germany that has no rivals are VfL Wolfsburg. Not even neighbours Eintracht Braunschweigs give a shXX. Many Hannover 96 spporters don't even know where WOB is located.

Stuttgart (when they were good) and Bayern was also big.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Leipzig's rival is everyone in Germany no? Doesn't every fan group want to beat the franchise team?
Probably, but their main rival might be Dynamo Dresden, though they play 2 or 3 stages lower. The rivalry between Dresden and Leipzig is massive. I lived near Dresden years ago and had a gf there and she hadn't good things to say about Leipzig. lol.
Lok Leipzig is the real enemy, though.

Reactions: robertmac43

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Don't forget HSV and Werder. This rivalry is massive.

The only team in Germany that has no rivals are VfL Wolfsburg. Not even neighbours Eintracht Braunschweigs give a shXX. Many Hannover 96 spporters don't even know where WOB is located.

Stuttgart (when they were good) and Bayern was also big.

Although it's still not the biggest of rivalries, at least after 2017 there does exist some genuine ill will between Braunschweig and Wolfsburg.

FC Bayern also had a good rivalry especially with Kaiserslautern.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Although it's still not the biggest of rivalries, at least after 2017 there does exist some genuine ill will between Braunschweig and Wolfsburg.

FC Bayern also had a good rivalry especially with Kaiserslautern.
Over the years Bayern had a lot of rivals. First probably 60, then Gladbach in the seventies, then HSV and Kaiserslautern and so on...

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Evilo, Konate was on the bench today. Looks like he’s close to returning. Last season he struggled with injuries, but when he was fit, I thought he was the best CB in the league. Leipzig are going to need to keep him fit, if Upamecano leaves.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Favre is so inept. I can’t believe Dortmund actually won that game today against Hoffenheim. They played terrible up until Haaland entered, which gave us a target up top, and more space for all the attackers. I’m not even sure the goal was onside. How does that rule work? Reus was offside when Reyna flicked on the header to Haaland, but never checked back to be further from goal than a defender. I thought the rule required all players to check back onside that were offside, and they couldn’t be onside by virtue of another player playing a back pass to them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Only one more month until Moukoko can play. Dortmund badly needs a back up CF. There's such a difference in how Dortmund plays without Haaland. Everyone occupies the same spaces, no one makes runs in behind the CB's, and no one occupies the box. Even if Moukoko isn't able to immediately play as well in the Bundesliga as he is in youth games, having a second player who tries to play like a striker will help out Dortmund. They can't keep trying to use Brandt, Hazard, Reus as a false nine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad