German football 2019/2020

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Everything fall apart once Brandt came out. Favre needs to adjust things better than he did today. The defense was awful.
It seemed dortmund sat back after the lead and invited pressure they folded within about 10 seconds. Since the team can’t bunker for the life of them. I would blame that on the coach for sure.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
What’s even stranger is that they refused to let him go to Argentine for the tournament. It’s like their actively trying to **** him over. How can you buy a player for 20 million give him 15 mins of playing time in almost a year. Don’t release him to get some games elsewhere not a loan. What is the plan with him. Like wtf

Young players don't really thrive in Dortmund apart from the unmissable talents like Sancho and Dembele.

It seemed dortmund sat back after the lead and invited pressure they folded within about 10 seconds. Since the team can’t bunker for the life of them. I would blame that on the coach for sure.

Just terrible coordination. They don't know how to defend aggressively or how to defend parking the bus. Favre is so much worse at defense than Klopp and Tuchel were.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Young players don't really thrive in Dortmund apart from the unmissable talents like Sancho and Dembele.

Just terrible coordination. They don't know how to defend aggressively or how to defend parking the bus. Favre is so much worse at defense than Klopp and Tuchel were.
Shame I even loved that move for the kid but sadly it’s turning out to be a career killer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What’s even stranger is that they refused to let him go to Argentine for the tournament. It’s like their actively trying to **** him over. How can you buy a player for 20 million give him 15 mins of playing time in almost a year. Don’t release him to get some games elsewhere not a loan. What is the plan with him. Like wtf

I don't understand it either.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Thats textbook Favre-ball. Take the lead, sit back to invite pressure towards your goal, and then it obviously doesn't work and never has with this group of players. It's exactly why Dortmund collapsed last season.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I remember when Favre was god on this board.

Not that I disagree with some of the criticism. Dortmund are a very odd team these days.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I remember when Favre was god on this board.

Not that I disagree with some of the criticism. Dortmund are a very odd team these days.

As usual, "on this board" = "according to one poster who barely posts here anymore."

He performed well relative to expectations in Gladbach and had a different style of play completely. His teams gave up far fewer goals than Dortmund have under him, and he actually played a pretty conservative style with little pressing at any part of the field. Turns out, that doesn't translate very well to a team that is much more talented and typically needs to bring the game to a more conservative opponent, and that exposes his poor approach to attacking in possession, organizing a defense, pressing, and consistently drawing good effort from his players.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It was more than just Evilo - even if I realize he had a bit of a following here.

I'm no expert on Favre. But in general I agree with you. A coach has to fit. Not criticising people thinking Favre would do well at BVB. Very difficult to predict. That is kind of my point though. He is brilliant he $^÷;÷€. Somewhat similar story with Sarri on here.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It was more than just Evilo - even if I realize he had a bit of a following here.

I'm no expert on Favre. But in general I agree with you. A coach has to fit. Not criticising people thinking Favre would do well at BVB. Very difficult to predict. That is kind of my point though. He is brilliant he $^÷;÷€. Somewhat similar story with Sarri on here.

I was referring to cgf. He was the only one on this forum who has ever thought Favre was more than a good manager, but maybe one of the best in the world. Evilo respected Favre's work his first year in Nice but didn't regard him as a genius.

At least Sarri's style would have translated reasonably well to a bigger club, but there were personal relationship issues that probably led to his failure at Chelsea. It is difficult to predict and we see good managers and players routinely fail to establish themselves at new clubs.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How does that make him a tool?

Wouldn't be the first time a manager gives up in Germany due to internal politics at the club. Klinsmann is in a position where he doesn't have to take any of that stuff so..

Not that I know what happened here, but certainly looks like that was his interpretation of the situation at least.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

Wouldn't be the first time a manager gives up in Germany due to internal politics at the club. Klinsmann is in a position where he doesn't have to take any of that stuff so..

Not that I know what happened here, but certainly looks like that was his interpretation of the situation at least.

This is way bigger than "another manager stepping down".
Klinsmann was brought in by Lars Windhorst, who holds 49.9% of Hertha. He spent 70M Euros this winter on players and then steps down because he doesn't "feel loyality!.

German wiki, because the English version is not up-to-date
Hertha BSC – Wikipedia

English wiki on Lars Windhorst

Lars Windhorst - Wikipedia

I knew from the start the Hertha/Windhorst/Klinsmann combination is BS and will bite Hertha in the end.

Klinsmann, by the way. still is Windhorst's man in the supervisory board.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I didnt think itd go this quick but its a pretty predictable end. Both Windhorst and Klinsmann are classic “Blender” types. Id almost guarantee that Windhorst’s involvement will end in tears too.

Its also a typical Hertha phenomenon. Big mouth, nothing behind it. Not the first time that club falls victim to megalomania. One of the reasons its easy to dislike them.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Still don't get why that makes him a tool. If Hertha are buying players for Klinsmann's personal pleasure than sure, but I doubt that was the case. And if he hoped to be able to solve whatever differences they had then you keep on going until you don't.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

He is a tool in the original meaning, not as an insult in this case. Klinsmann is Windhorst's tool to take over Hertha BSC Berlin.

As an insult term I'd take imposter. Windhorst himself is an imposter, too. So is Hertha in my mind. A wannabe big club in a big capital. But they never were. LOL, maybe in the 1920s.

Additional info: I read the reason he leaves is that he wanted to be a manager like in England, coach and full transfer resonsibility. Hertha didn't want that.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ok. I have really now knowledge about the inner workings at Hertha. I also interpreted the use of the word "tool" differently - which made me curious.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I was looking forward to him getting them relegated. He saved them relegation by stepping down.
Not this year, I guess. There are worse teams, including Werder I really want to turn things around. Nouri is not a bad interim replacement. He did most of the work anyway.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not this year, I guess. There are worse teams, including Werder I really want to turn things around. Nouri is not a bad interim replacement. He did most of the work anyway.

I think Düsseldorf and Mainz are worse than Bremen. That would be my guess for 16th and 17th, but it’s very close. 13th and 18th is only separated by 7 points.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Hertha and Tennor (Windhorst) just said, Klinsmann is out completley. Windhorst is searching for 2 representatives for the supervisory board.
Gegenbauer, Preetz and Windhorst looked really xxxxed off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad