German football 2019/2020

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Liked what I saw yesterday out of Dortmund. Can and Piszczek brought some needed power and physicality to a very soft team. The lack of Akanji could've also had something to do with the clean sheet.

Favre's might pay the price though for how he used Hazard and Goetze to start 2020. Both players played extremely small (sometimes non-existent) roles the first number of games. Favre is forced to use these guys now, and both are out of form due to a recent lack of minutes. Reyna also isn't ready for more than a bit part role. He's going to have to rely on these two players in the upcoming weeks with Reus and Brandt out injured. It would've made sense to not completely ruin their form. This is what you get when you don't rotate your squad enough.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You can say Haaland saved Favres job this winter. This guy is incredible.

Favre should’ve been sacked before Haaland joined the club. The rumors of him being sacked have quieted, although they are strategically placed every few weeks to remind everyone that Favre is only still here because there weren’t any better options midseason. He’ll be gone at the end of the season.

Reactions: Khomutov

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
And the win against PSG aside, a lot of the issues seem to be there still since Haaland came. They've played badly in all three road matches (although Haaland turned the tide in the second half of two of those), and crushed bad lower half of the table teams at home. Their issues have come mostly on the road, even against much weaker teams. Maybe if they beat PSG away you can make that claim, but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
And the win against PSG aside, a lot of the issues seem to be there still since Haaland came. They've played badly in all three road matches (although Haaland turned the tide in the second half of two of those), and crushed bad lower half of the table teams at home. Their issues have come mostly on the road, even against much weaker teams. Maybe if they beat PSG away you can make that claim, but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

And as good as Haaland has been, it’s overshadowing Sancho whose been as good or better than Haaland. Sancho isn’t the same level of goal scorer as Haaland, but total goal and assists numbers are world class right now. He’s been performing all season, and has a good claim for Bundesliga player of the season over Lewandowski.

Haaland scores the most goals, but Sancho runs our attack, especially with Brandt injured.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Favre should’ve been sacked before Haaland joined the club. The rumors of him being sacked have quieted, although they are strategically placed every few weeks to remind everyone that Favre is only still here because there weren’t any better options midseason. He’ll be gone at the end of the season.

I agree. He gave away the championship last season and this year Bayern is bad, but Dortmund can't take advantage of it.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
And as good as Haaland has been, it’s overshadowing Sancho whose been as good or better than Haaland. Sancho isn’t the same level of goal scorer as Haaland, but total goal and assists numbers are world class right now. He’s been performing all season, and has a good claim for Bundesliga player of the season over Lewandowski.

Haaland scores the most goals, but Sancho runs our attack, especially with Brandt injured.

No, Sancho is very good, but Lewandowski is on another level. Without him, Bayern would be third or fourth place now. He has what, 25 goals in 23 games now? Going for the goal record of Gerd Mueller.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
No, Sancho is very good, but Lewandowski is on another level. Without him, Bayern would be third or fourth place now. He has what, 25 goals in 23 games now? Going for the goal record of Gerd Mueller.

Sancho has a higher rate of goals and assists combined while playing much further from the goal and thus typically needing to surpass more defenders to reach the goal when he first touches it. There's certainly a case that he's doing more to drive offense than Lewandowski this year.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Sancho has a higher rate of goals and assists combined while playing much further from the goal and thus typically needing to surpass more defenders to reach the goal when he first touches it. There's certainly a case that he's doing more to drive offense than Lewandowski this year.
do u finally think he's better than what Dembele was for Dortmund

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Schalke has a culture problem. Their players and coaches that they keep blaming for their terrible football and mediocre results aren't that bad. At some point, you gotta start looking at the people running the club for why coaches and players are consistently producing terrible football and mediocre results.

I know Leipzig is good, but a 5-0 loss at home to anyone for a club of their stature is embarrassing.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
do u finally think he's better than what Dembele was for Dortmund

Maybe. Certainly scoring more. But Dortmund had far less on offense that year than they do now imo. They lost their best offensive player (Mkhitaryan) from the previous season. Reus had a meh year from my recollection and Aubameyang was only a finisher. Dembele played as an 8 in some matches, and from what I remember he was easily Dortmund's best offensive player. I also preferred watching him dribble over Sancho, who slows the ball down too much for my liking sometimes. Both were incredible 19 year olds though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Caught the 2nd half of bayer’s game. Palacios named MOTM I didnt think he had a stand out performance. He was good but people acted like he dominated... maybe he had an immense first half? I thought Kai was the best player, his an amazing player. At one point he started Bayer’s attack at right midfield but ended up finish the play as a LW. He just pops up anywhere. Delight to watch. Interested to see what his next move is.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bayern has an easy stretch of games coming up, so they should do well without Lewandowski, but the question with Bayern has always been if they fall apart if Lewandowski misses any significant amount of time. Now he will. It's a close title race, so they can't afford to drop points in some easier games coming up.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
The Salzburg-Frankfurt game was postponed, so some Eintracht fans watched hockey.

Cool stuff somehow.

Reactions: Lambo

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Given the chaos around the club with Preetz under increasing pressure, Klinsmann calling just about everything around the club crappy (which a lot of fans are willing to believe and Im sure all the players have their own opinion on too)...its hardly surprising that the team’s performances are disastrous too.

Honestly I believe Klinsmann is right about the club, but I think the fact they sought to hire him in the first place is actually a major symptom of that club being controlled by incompetents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad