German football 2019/2020

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bild reports (behind paywall, but Focus has it on their free site) Sane to Bayern this winter and Hertha are interested in Götze. Of course they are, but is Götze interested in Hertha? I doubt that.

Beim BVB ist Götze nur noch Reservist - jetzt sollen Klinsmann und Hertha BSC dran sein

Alsi Chelsea is interested in Bailey. He wasn't very good recently, so I would sell him, if the price is right.

Goetze said he’s leaving Dortmund, if Favre returns. Favre probably won’t return, but I don’t know how you can have contracts negotiations with a player when he stipulates that. If you then agree to a contract extension with him, you are telling the outside world that your coach is done after the season.

I suspect where Goetze plays next season will go all the way down to May or June, unless Favre manages to lose his job here in the next week. I think it’s more likely that he’d play somewhere like Inter or England than somewhere else in the Bundesliga. But I also wouldn’t rule out that he remains at Dortmund. Favre will go no later than the end of the season. I don’t think management is unhappy with his play, but their coach doesn’t rate him, so what can anyone do? They aren’t going to demand that Favre uses him.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Goetze said he’s leaving Dortmund, if Favre returns. Favre probably won’t return, but I don’t know how you can have contracts negotiations with a player when he stipulates that. If you then agree to a contract extension with him, you are telling the outside world that your coach is done after the season.

I suspect where Goetze plays next season will go all the way down to May or June, unless Favre manages to lose his job here in the next week. I think it’s more likely that he’d play somewhere like Inter or England than somewhere else in the Bundesliga. But I also wouldn’t rule out that he remains at Dortmund. Favre will go no later than the end of the season. I don’t think management is unhappy with his play, but their coach doesn’t rate him, so what can anyone do? They aren’t going to demand that Favre uses him.

The bolded I'd think, too, but not top tier "England". Look what "special player"Max Meyer is doing at Palace.
Warum Max Meyer bei Crystal Palace keine Rolle mehr spielt

EPL clubs aren't idiots, they don't take damaged goods from Bundesliga. He didn't make it at Bayern and he didn't make it at BVB. Italy might be his destination. Inter, Lazio, Roma etc.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it depends on the EPL destination. Probably not Man City, probably not Spurs, probably not Chelsea. Liverpool could be an exception to the top clubs because of Klopp. Are Arsenal and Man United even top teams anymore? And then the rest below the top clubs all are options, depending on what he'd be paid, like you mentioned with Meyer.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I think it depends on the EPL destination. Probably not Man City, probably not Spurs, probably not Chelsea. Liverpool could be an exception to the top clubs because of Klopp. Are Arsenal and Man United even top teams anymore? And then the rest below the top clubs all are options, depending on what he'd be paid, like you mentioned with Meyer.

Yes, maybe Arsenal or Utd. They aren't top tier in EPL right now. I'd think some italian site is more possible.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The bolded I'd think, too, but not top tier "England". Look what "special player"Max Meyer is doing at Palace.
Warum Max Meyer bei Crystal Palace keine Rolle mehr spielt

EPL clubs aren't idiots, they don't take damaged goods from Bundesliga. He didn't make it at Bayern and he didn't make it at BVB. Italy might be his destination. Inter, Lazio, Roma etc.

Goetze made it at Bayern and definitely made it (twice) at BVB. Pretty common for even very talented players to fall out of favor on deep teams at times. It's happened to a bunch of the experienced players on BVB. Almost any player in the world will struggle in a bad situation with a coach who doesn't suit them. That goes for Meyer too. It would be nice if we didn't have to talk about it as proof that they aren't good players when that happens.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Goetze made it at Bayern and definitely made it (twice) at BVB. Pretty common for even very talented players to fall out of favor on deep teams at times. It's happened to a bunch of the experienced players on BVB. Almost any player in the world will struggle in a bad situation with a coach who doesn't suit them. That goes for Meyer too. It would be nice if we didn't have to talk about it as proof that they aren't good players when that happens.

There seem to be two Götzes. One who has done nothing since his WC final goal and one who appears to be in the running for the Ballon D’Or every season. The latter one however only appears to be visible to a select group of people on internet message boards.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There seem to be two Götzes. One who has done nothing since his WC final goal and one who appears to be in the running for the Ballon D’Or every season. The latter one however only appears to be visible to a select group of people on internet message boards.

There are plenty of Dortmund fans that feel like he's done well for us. It's a more common opinion among Dortmund fans than saying he hasn't been a success at Dortmund. The outside fans who don't follow the club closely might see stints on the bench or out of position, and use that to say he hasn't played well.

I don't even know if Favre thinks he's played poorly, but Favre refuses to use Reus anywhere other than centrally, even though all the evidence there is suggests his best football is played out wide. So there's not much room for Goetze in the lineup, unless its as a false nine, which he doesn't play well because he's not a player who should be playing with his back to goal. Favre also refuses to use Goetze as a deeper midfielder. And unfortunately, Reus is immune from getting benched because he's the captain. Otherwise, a good coach would have Goetze in his position months ago because Reus has been terrible this season.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Götze has played well at times, sure, but he will go down in history as a failure post-2014 WC. A decent above average BuLi player is not what he was made out to be. People still think hed go to an elite team on the back of that output? Only on reputation, only on reputation.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Cute.

Götze has played well at times, sure, but he will go down in history as a failure post-2014 WC. A decent above average BuLi player is not what he was made out to be. People still think hed go to an elite team on the back of that output? Only on reputation, only on reputation.

Ahh the backtrack. Some people understand that the perception that any player - even a Ballon D'Or winner - "puts a team on his back" in a weak link sport like this is almost always a fabrication on the part of fans who long for heroes and inspiring narratives that don't fit with what actually happens on the field. Many of these same fans also mistake running hard and fast with having heart and "carrying a team", and see a player with vastly diminished running ability as "doing nothing."

All I remember is this same nonsense about him being a useless player was circulating at the same time last year in the same circles of old reactionary fans, and he ended with one of the better per minute marks of goals+assists in the league last year once he finally got on the field regularly even though he's more suited to playing in central midfield than as an attacker at this stage of his career. Far from "damaged goods."

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I didn't want to start the next "Is Goetze still a good football player" discussion. I guess we are all sick of it.

I posted a Bild speculation regarding Hertha's possible interest in acquiring him. It's not like rumours were reported PSG, City, LFC, Real or Juve are interested in his services. It is friggin Hertha Berlin. 13th in the league.
Goetze's contract is up next summer, how are the odds BVB will re-sign him or he will re-sign with Dortmund?

Yes, DM, I think he is "damaged goods".

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I didn't want to start the next "Is Goetze still a good football player" discussion. I guess we are all sick of it.

I posted a Bild speculation regarding Hertha's possible interest in acquiring him. It's not like rumours were reported PSG, City, LFC, Real or Juve are interested in his services. It is friggin Hertha Berlin. 13th in the league.
Goetze's contract is up next summer, how are the odds BVB will re-sign him or he will re-sign with Dortmund?

Yes, DM, I think he is "damaged goods".

Money is the main reason he won't be re-signed. Dortmund management are asking him to take a significant pay cut and he doesn't want to take it. BVB are right that Goetze isn't important enough to their current manager to merit being one of the most highly paid players on the team (I believe only Reus makes more money), and Goetze doesn't want to take a pay cut. That is a far cry from proving he's "damaged goods" - he's simply overpaid given the health problems and a play style that doesn't suit him perfectly. He's coming off a very good year.

I'm mostly irritated when the old fans here pretend that the rest of the world besides PB and I agree that Goetze is washed up. Perhaps the media you pay attention to talk of nothing else, but a significant portion of the BVB fans and media that I'm exposed to are much happier with his performances when healthy.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
It's been reported that this is no longer a sticking point in the negotiation. It's Favre. Goetze doesn't want to re-sign, and not play.

I guess it'd be hard to blame him. Favre is now playing with one fewer attacking player on the field at the same time as they added Hazard and Brandt (even though he has now settled into a midfield role). Rotating players in, unless forced by injuries, is not Favre's strength at all. Goetze has been treated with an unjustifiably far shorter leash than their other attacking players when they struggle.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I guess it'd be hard to blame him. Favre is now playing with one fewer attacking player on the field at the same time as they added Hazard and Brandt (even though he has now settled into a midfield role). Rotating players in, unless forced by injuries, is not Favre's strength at all. Goetze has been treated with an unjustifiably far shorter leash than their other attacking players when they struggle.

I tend to think that if we continue with the 3-4-3, the best alignment is to have Goetze as the main back up to Brandt as the 8, and rotating with Alcacer as the 9. If we sign Haaland or a striker, you can add that player to the mix as the 9. On the wings, we should have a three player rotation between Sancho, Hazard and Reus for two spots. At times, Guerreiro and Hakimi could fill in there, as well, but they are best suited as wingbacks, if we are using the 3-4-3. And if for some reason we need to play a little more defensive in midfield during the course of a game or from the start, Delaney or Weigl can take the place of Brandt or Goetze as the 8.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So, Götze starts as the main striker tonight. Last change to make a claim for a regular starting spot, in the shop window or whatever, interesting to see how it works out.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Another nice half from Dortmund. They're so much more dangerous when they make fast, decisive combinations in buildup. Hakimi's speed is very difficult to deal with when they're making those combinations down the right side. Nice finish by Mr. Damaged Goods, too. Definitely think he can continue to be a functional part of this team going forward.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this is our best lineup right now. Swap out Witsel for Weigl when Witsel is fit. Hazard was such a great signing. One of the best signings we’ve made in years. He replaces the role Pulisic played, and does it with better technique and tactical sense.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I think this is our best lineup right now. Swap out Witsel for Weigl when Witsel is fit. Hazard was such a great signing. One of the best signings we’ve made in years. He replaces the role Pulisic played, and does it with better technique and tactical sense.

And they immediately sub in two of your favorites - Bruun Larsen and Piszczek - as you say that ;)

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
What a collapse. Hoffenheim scored on their only two real chances of the game and Dortmund wasted wide open chance after chance because the last pass was a little off.

Reactions: Cassano

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What applied on Tuesday applies today. We saw this all of the second half of last season. Until Favre is gone, this club lacks ambition.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
There are some very important games this weekend. And I think the most important are ADüsseldorf vs. Union and Köln vs. Bremen. Also Schalke-Freiburg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad