German football 2019/2020

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, pixx poor Dortmnd just got destroyed by Frankfurt 5:1. Disgusting effort. Oh wait, Dortmund is 2nd after 10 games.

I don't understand why Kovac doesn't want to play Goretzka. As mediocre as Dortmund is, Bayern's defense is in complete shambles, and they might make Dortmund's attack look good next week if Kovac insists on a backline of Davies-Alaba-Martinez-Pavard with Kimmich in midfield, and Goretzka on the bench.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
After 5:1 it's bound to happen, I'm not convinced that a mid-season replacement will take them to another level though.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
After 5:1 it's bound to happen, I'm not convinced that a mid-season replacement will take them to another level though.

Could certainly be enough to shore them up for a 10 point league victory though. Obviously if they want to get back to being a top Champions League contender they need more than a coaching overhaul - and yeah, certainly not with the candidates available midseason.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dortmund looked a lot better today when Reus came out of the match. Surely a coincidence.

Reus and Akanji have to stop living on their reputations. If these two aren't going to play well, they should be benched.

Reactions: Lambo

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Could certainly be enough to shore them up for a 10 point league victory though. Obviously if they want to get back to being a top Champions League contender they need more than a coaching overhaul - and yeah, certainly not with the candidates available midseason.

Wonder what Onkel Jupp is up to right about now. That Band-Aid worked well the last time.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Hannover 96 sacked Mirko Slomka. LOL.
Putting together a crappy team and expecting to get promoted doesn't work. Ask Hamburg last year.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Apparently Kovac got sacked.
Jetzt also doch: Kovac-Aus bei den Bayern

Rumour is Allegri will be his successor.

A more reliable source
Bayern München trennt sich von Trainer Kovac

Thank god for that. Maybe now Bayern will become somewhat watchable again.
These rumors about Allegri and Mourinho are coming mostly from international outlets. I have just read an admittedly somewhat questionable german source linking Ten Haag to Bayern.
Really hope that is where they will be going. EtH is exactly what this team needds right now IMO. Bit of a gamble but not much more than bringing Mourinho into our powder keg (which just won't work) or Allegri who as far as I know knows no German and only somewhat limited English and plays a style that probably won't be looked upon all too favorably after the lean years of Kovac when it comes to our playing style and how watchable our team was...

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Would love to see Dortmund top the league again though I’m not sure Favre deserves it.

The reasons Favre doesn't deserve it are the same reasons why it's highly unlikely to happen. This probably would have been a more appropriate thing to say last year, actually, when they were playing much worse than their record would suggest but leading the league for most of the year.

Bayern will right the ship as they did after a shaky start in both of the past two seasons.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Allegri seems somewhat overrated to me, great achievements on paper but I never got the feeling that it was his doing beyond the daily management of already existing success. Add a foreign environment and I doubt it would be a match made in heaven. Probably just a rumor anyway.

Reactions: Juve

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn’t bet on Dortmund over Bayern. That’d be stupid, as last season showed, but I think Bayern’s in big trouble. Their team has gotten worse and worse, and now they have an inferior squad to Dortmund. Their manager is an interim guy who has never been a manager at the highest level. They also have some huge injury issues at CB, and they’ve went for years with no back up plan at CF. Dortmund can absorb any one player missing games because the squad is very deep and can rotate players in and out of the lineup. Bayern will struggle to qualify for Europe, if Lewandowski missed significant time.

I’d still give Bayern good odds to win the league, but that’s only on reputation. Everything else is in Dortmund’s favor. Dortmund hasn’t even played well this season, and we’re ahead of Bayern. Usually we need to greatly overachieve to keep pace with them. Not anymore.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Sacking Kovac this early in the season is pretty wild even by Bayern standards. The fact that noone is really surprised tho tells you everything about his standing in the club.

I suspect that there were numerous senior players who didn’t like him. And I also suspect that Bayern leadership never really was fully behind him in the first place. Everyone agrees that Salihamdzic isnt a power factor, so it may have been a simple Uli v Kalle thing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Köln. LOL.

cgf should be amused, btw.

It hasn't been the worst week for us :DD
I remember a report that Union and Hertha had some kind of friendship during the GDR/FRG times in the eighties. Long gone I guess. I bet they had some history in the early days of last century. Union is only 50plus years old on paper, but their roots are far older. Interesting history btw., could only happen in Berlin.
1. FC Union Berlin - Wikipedia

I wouldn't say that. When I was young and a) BuLi.1 seemed a much more distant fantasy & b) Hertha had Marcelinho, there were many Union fans who rooted for Hertha in the 1st division. Hertha's collapse after the Marcelinho era made folks stop caring & the boring football they've played since getting their s*** together hasn't pulled fans back in, but there's never been a really intense rivalry with Hertha...we have BFC for that :naughty:

There's an anecdote from the summer about the league approaching us about having a "berlin derby" on opening day and our officials being genuinely confused until it was clarified that the opponent being discussed was Hertha & not Dynamo.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It hasn't been the worst week for us :DD

I wouldn't say that. When I was young and a) BuLi.1 seemed a much more distant fantasy & b) Hertha had Marcelinho, there were many Union fans who rooted for Hertha in the 1st division. Hertha's collapse after the Marcelinho era made folks stop caring & the boring football they've played since getting their s*** together hasn't pulled fans back in, but there's never been a really intense rivalry with Hertha...we have BFC for that :naughty:

There's an anecdote from the summer about the league approaching us about having a "berlin derby" on opening day and our officials being genuinely confused until it was clarified that the opponent being discussed was Hertha & not Dynamo.

IDK, its been talked about for several years now that the Eastern-based Hertha ultras dont get along well with the Union scene at all. It doesn’t surprise me. BFC have been 4th or 5th tier for many years now, which is not gonna pull in a lot of kids. Hertha was the natural successor to Dynamo everywhere where a trip to Köpenick is messy enough to not make it much preferable over a jaunt out West to see Hertha play BuLi.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
IDK, its been talked about for several years now that the Eastern-based Hertha ultras dont get along well with the Union scene at all. It doesn’t surprise me. BFC have been 4th or 5th tier for many years now, which is not gonna pull in a lot of kids. Hertha was the natural successor to Dynamo everywhere where a trip to Köpenick is messy enough to not make it much preferable over a jaunt out West to see Hertha play BuLi.

There are unfortunately idiots who'll have trouble with everyone, but I was talking more about the general perspective from my age group (early-30s) -- who I know to be Union fans -- rather than the extreme Ultras.

Btdubs but a trip out to the Olympiastadion isn't exactly a shorter trek from east berlin than the Alte Försterei...even if you don't have grandparents that live 3 blocks from the S-bahn station ;-)

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Its not but Hertha was also playing 1 to 2 levels higher for most of those years. If its already going to be 45 mins to an hour anyway, an extra 15-20 mins to go to Olympiastadion wont be a dealbreaker to see Bayern, Schalke or even Milan instead of Aue, Osnabrück or Meppen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad