German Football 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Schürrle played for Mainz, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg previously, probably never developed the right mindset and was then overwhelmed in Dortmund having to deal with his terrible form and a demanding fan base simultaneously. Maybe he will find his personal safe space in Fulham, better for him that it happens without any sort of national team duties ever again.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Amazing arrogance. This guy sucked. Thats why he left. Blaming the fans is a joke. He gets no extra privileges because he was a German international. Either you are able to help the team or not. He couldn't.

Schurrle: Fans' jealousy drove me from BVB

While I strongly favor not ridiculing players in public - especially when the game is going on - I don't even understand what he means exactly about "jealousy." How exactly are the fans jeering you jealous of you?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
While I strongly favor not ridiculing players in public - especially when the game is going on - I don't even understand what he means exactly about "jealousy." How exactly are the fans jeering you jealous of you?
I've definitely attended games where I was jealous of every player not having paid to watch that game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think it’s a “you wish you were in my position” type of thing. It’s one of the easiest ways for players to get on the bad side of fans. I guess to him everyone who didn’t become a high level pro footballer is beneath him.

I didn’t like Schurrle’s contribution but that’s it. I wish him well. The fact that he’s trying to criticize fans after he left the club is a shame. I think it actually shows that we did well getting him out. Bad egg.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I think it’s a “you wish you were in my position” type of thing. It’s one of the easiest ways for players to get on the bad side of fans. I guess to him everyone who didn’t become a high level pro footballer is beneath him.

I didn’t like Schurrle’s contribution but that’s it. I wish him well. The fact that he’s trying to criticize fans after he left the club is a shame. I think it actually shows that we did well getting him out. Bad egg.

Yeah, but is he so lacking in self-awareness that he can't even imagine that fans would find something aggravating in his play alone disregarding the fact that he makes so much money?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, but is he so lacking in self-awareness that he can't even imagine that fans would find something aggravating in his play alone disregarding the fact that he makes so much money?

I agree. He definitely has a big ego with how he refers to himself as a German International. I think most would say that any call ups he gets anymore to the German National Team are a flat out joke and only because he's in good with those in charge.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Schurrle made stupid comments there, but he saved Germany multiple times in that 2014 tournament.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Ante Rebic re-signs with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2022. This is surprising since United and Bayern were interested in acquiring him. And of course it's good for Frankfurt.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Schurrle made stupid comments there, but he saved Germany multiple times in that 2014 tournament.

He scored a vital goal vs Algeria and assisted on the winner in the Final, so that's true. But it shows a remarkable lack of awareness and intelligence to try to use that as a 'shield of immunity' vs criticism for years thereafter. Mentioning all the 'great things' you've achieved in the past to deflect justified criticism for your own poor play *now*...sounds more like the futile attempt of a beleaguered politician trying to fend off resignation demands after a corruption scandal.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
He scored a vital goal vs Algeria and assisted on the winner in the Final, so that's true. But it shows a remarkable lack of awareness and intelligence to try to use that as a 'shield of immunity' vs criticism for years thereafter. Mentioning all the 'great things' you've achieved in the past to deflect justified criticism for your own poor play *now*...sounds more like the futile attempt of a beleaguered politician trying to fend off resignation demands after a corruption scandal.
Andre Schürrle is one of those guys who shined years ago. After 2014 (wich is 4 years ago) he didn't do anything special. There's a reason he's playing at Fulham and not Real or Bayern.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Dortmund has season opening today. There is a legends game 18:00 vs Liverpool. The Dortmund squad is really good (Cesar,Lambert,Amoroso,Koller, Riedle for example. Dont know who plays for Liverpool.
Happy to see Amoroso again he looked like he could still play last time i saw him.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I mostly remember Amoroso for the - at the time - insane transfer fee. Everyone at that point knew Dortmund was playing with fire fiscally..and their flirt with bankruptcy a couple of years later basically was the end result.

Reactions: Eisen

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I've been very critical of the Kovac appointment. It's obviously very early, but I must admit, what I've seen and especially heard from him this preseason has been pretty good. Still wish we had gotten Tuchel, but a bit more optimistic now.

I mostly remember Amoroso for the - at the time - insane transfer fee. Everyone at that point knew Dortmund was playing with fire fiscally..and their flirt with bankruptcy a couple of years later basically was the end result.

The 25M were a lot, but what always bugged me about that record fee was how Bild was calling him the "50M man", as they calculated the inclusion of Evanilson to be worth 25M, when his worth was so limited that Parma immediately loaned him back and eventually made that permanent. By the (later challenged) books, Evanilson ended up being worth 4M-ish (3M difference in transfer fees paid/received, and 256k per year for the loan).

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Looks like Kehrer is leaving Schalke so another lost player and they've already overextended themselves with CL now.

Dortmund didn't really improve much so looks like it'll be another predictable season of Bayern winning, Dortmund finishing 2nd, and whichever team wants it taking the 3rd spot...I'm seriously gonna end up watching more Prem than Bundesliga for the first time this decade.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Dortmund has season opening today. There is a legends game 18:00 vs Liverpool. The Dortmund squad is really good (Cesar,Lambert,Amoroso,Koller, Riedle for example. Dont know who plays for Liverpool.

Liverpool FC Legends: Dudek, McAteer, Kvarme, Biscan, Babb, Diao, Fowler, Berger, Luis Garcia, Meijer, Smicer.
Subs: Rush, S Gillespie, Aldridge, Walsh, Kennedy, Westerveld, Nicholas

That team is super amusing. Rush and Aldridge are nearing 60. Liverpool lost btw.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Liverpool FC Legends: Dudek, McAteer, Kvarme, Biscan, Babb, Diao, Fowler, Berger, Luis Garcia, Meijer, Smicer.
Subs: Rush, S Gillespie, Aldridge, Walsh, Kennedy, Westerveld, Nicholas

That team is super amusing. Rush and Aldridge are nearing 60. Liverpool lost btw.

Didn't watch this game, but saw a couple of their games last season and Luis Garcia looked like he could still play pro somewhere. Which wasn't that surprising, since he only turned 40 this summer and last played in 2016.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
and for getting the scoring title with 200 penalties.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
and for getting the scoring title with 200 penalties.

Well he had the scoring title in Italy too. That was the best league at that time. When he wanted he was one of the best strikers. For example in the UEFA Cup game against Milan, where he scored 3 Goals.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Well he had the scoring title in Italy too. That was the best league at that time. When he wanted he was one of the best strikers. For example in the UEFA Cup game against Milan, where he scored 3 Goals.
He was, but I always had the feeling he left a little to be desired in Dortmund.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He was, but I always had the feeling he left a little to be desired in Dortmund.

I would go as far as saying that he was one of the worst Dortmund players during his time there. His numbers do a great job hiding that, but even Ewerthon was much better and Koller made both forgotten.

Reactions: Eisen

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Weigl is fit enough again to partake in training games. I wonder if he could play like 30 minutes in the Cup match on Monday, and then be fit enough to start the first match against Leipzig. Its good that we have depth, but I'd prefer Weigl to Witsel or Delaney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad