German Football 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
BTW 2. Bundesliga starts today. HSV vs. Holstein Kiel.
Hamburg lost their first game 0:3. At home, no less. Wow, that's not good. I read the live ticker in the first half and it seemed there was a powerplay by Hamburg.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The new discussion circles around the statement Manuel Neuer (team captain) made.
In my words: "Everybody on the team must feel it is an honour to represent Germany and be proud of it."
And can we please stop to bring this Özil crap each and every time? It was directed to EVERY player, not just Özil.

Well I have to commend you for completely disregarding what I said assuming you actually read and not just quoted it for no reason.

I said even if it was not targeted by Ozil how does one quantify "pride"? Do players have to tattoo their bodies black, red and yellow and march on the streets? How is Neuer the authority on German pride? Is it his blue eyes and blond hair?

I will give him the benefit of the doubt because I love him (even though I think it's pretty obvious he's targeting Ozil) why does he think he's in a position to talk about not having enough "pride" for the NT? What was so spectacular about his performance in those 3/4 games? Was it him completely caught out of position against Korea in a disparate attempt to score... is that showing "pride"

I mean let's look at the facts Germany brought in a bunch of unproven, over the hill in addition to players out of form to the tournament in hopes to catching lighting in a bottle. They didn't and failed not unlike the past 3 winners so, how anyone can be completely flabbergasted is beyond me. This was always on the cards, when you take into account everything. Low being a shitty coach, poor team selection, players sucking ass. This isn't about pride but more about ability.

Those old hags should enjoy what little life they have instead of crying about not having enough "pride" for imaginary borders... it is totally distasteful.

Neuer isn't looking great either tbh.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Well I have to commend you for completely disregarding what I said assuming you actually read and not just quoted it for no reason.

I said even if it was not targeted by Ozil how does one quantify "pride"? Do players have to tattoo their bodies black, red and yellow and march on the streets? How is Neuer the authority on German pride? Is it his blue eyes and blond hair?

I will give him the benefit of the doubt because I love him (even though I think it's pretty obvious he's targeting Ozil) why does he think he's in a position to talk about not having enough "pride" for the NT? What was so spectacular about his performance in those 3/4 games? Was it him completely caught out of position against Korea in a disparate attempt to score... is that showing "pride"

I mean let's look at the facts Germany brought in a bunch of unproven, over the hill in addition to players out of form to the tournament in hopes to catching lighting in a bottle. They didn't and failed not unlike the past 3 winners so, how anyone can be completely flabbergasted is beyond me. This was always on the cards, when you take into account everything. Low being a ****ty coach, poor team selection, players sucking ass. This isn't about pride but more about ability.

Those old hags should enjoy what little life they have instead of crying about not having enough "pride" for imaginary borders... it is totally distasteful.

Neuer isn't looking great either tbh.

Manuel Neuer is the captain of the german football national team.

I am done with on this topic.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I still don't see how you can read the "pride" comment as anything other than a shot at Özil and Gündogan. As D2M said, half of the players on this team were also core members of the 2014 team, and I wonder where their pride went. Racism or incoherent stupidity; take your choice.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I still don't see how you can read the "pride" comment as anything other than a shot at Özil and Gündogan. As D2M said, half of the players on this team were also core members of the 2014 team, and I wonder where their pride went. Racism or incoherent stupidity; take your choice.

What a bizarre view. Asking for national pride isn't racism, no matter whether you think that's reasonable or not in this context.

Was Neuer there in 2014? Obviously he was. Obviously he knows the difference between 2014 and 2018 more than anyone who wasn't there. Maybe it's easy to play without pride when you're on a beach vacation, feeling good and things are going well. Maybe you need to dig deep and find other motivation when you're in Russia and things aren't so great.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
The bottom line is that Erdoğan is an extremist nutjob who spews anti-German and anti-European hatred among German Turks and who has said (and also the members of his government have said) absolutely disgusting things about Germany. If Özil and Gündoğan meet with this person, gift him a jersey and take a picture with him - obviously smiling and having fun - then it's totally pertinent to question their allegiance to Germany. There's nothing racist about this.

Not to mention the message that these two fellows are sending to the many Turks who actually live in Turkey and suffer under Erdogan's oppression. As usual, the so-called anti-racists in the West are in a perfect alignment with the reactionaries, while ignorant and oblivious about the liberals and their cause.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
What a bizarre view. Asking for national pride isn't racism, no matter whether you think that's reasonable or not in this context.

Was Neuer there in 2014? Obviously he was. Obviously he knows the difference between 2014 and 2018 more than anyone who wasn't there. Maybe it's easy to play without pride when you're on a beach vacation, feeling good and things are going well. Maybe you need to dig deep and find other motivation when you're in Russia and things aren't so great.

If it was targeted at Özil alone it was. Which, as I interpreted his comment, it was. I suppose you have a different interpretation. As I've said before, Özil was far from the worst German performer, and it's at best suspicious that much of the media and the DFB has decided to focus on him over someone leagues more dreadful like Müller. Otherwise it's just the national team equivalent of "the other team wanted it more" - a totally inane analysis that reduces the importance of skill, fitness, tactics, and so on. I guess you like that crap.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If it was targeted at Özil alone it was. Which, as I interpreted his comment, it was. I suppose you have a different interpretation. As I've said before, Özil was far from the worst German performer, and it's at best suspicious that much of the media and the DFB has decided to focus on him over someone leagues more dreadful like Müller. Otherwise it's just the national team equivalent of "the other team wanted it more" - a totally inane analysis that reduces the importance of skill, fitness, tactics, and so on. I guess you like that crap.

Because I've played enough sports, and thought enough about performance and performance metrics to know that you discount such factors at your own peril. Of course, the quality of the players, the tactics etc. all matter but so does the mentality of the team. They're human beings competing, not robots who press a button that says "activate athletic performance" or "activate game tactics". Too many people who've grown up with simulation games think that reality is like that. It's not. You've got to find a synthesis between the different aspects that go into performance optimization. Mentality is 100% a major factor.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And poor mentality has so far been demonstrated most of all by characters like Kroos, Müller, and Neuer.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Manuel Neuer is the captain of the german football national team.

I am done with on this topic.

And having the armband gives Neuer the ability to quantify pride? Hmm he should be able to concentrate that and sell it.

PLease, do... in fact nobody should've even started with this idiotic topic.

Asking for national pride isn't racism but assuming one doesn't have pride in their country due to their background is racism. Mind you why the f*** does it national pride matter these are all made up and socially constructed boundaries they only matter because enough people said they matter. Loving borders which are objects that have no agency and thus cannot love you back, won't get you a WC.

Either that or he's(Neuer's) getting played by the higher ups...

Reactions: Eisen

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And having the armband gives Neuer the ability to quantify pride? Hmm he should be able to concentrate that and sell it.

PLease, do... in fact nobody should've even started with this idiotic topic.

Asking for national pride isn't racism but assuming one doesn't have pride in their country due to their background is racism. Mind you why the **** does it national pride matter these are all made up and socially constructed boundaries they only matter because enough people said they matter. Loving borders which are objects that have no agency and thus cannot love you back, won't get you a WC.

Either that or he's(Neuer's) getting played by the higher ups...

The difference between you and Neuer is that Neuer knows the people involved, was there and might thus be a bit more qualified to talk about the subject than some jackass on the internet who's bringing their pet political agenda into it.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Neuer never was the the guy to speak out. If he does he must be really pissed. Yes, I think it mst be a honour to play on the NT. And you must be proud to be nominated. Some this year seemed to take it as given. This has to change and I don't think Joachim Löw (Who didn't attend a coach's meeting recently) is the right guy.
To remind everyone: Next games will be vs. France and the Netherlands.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The difference between you and Neuer is that Neuer knows the people involved, was there and might thus be a bit more qualified to talk about the subject than some jackass on the internet who's bringing their pet political agenda into it.
Ah the old he's part of the team so, he knows better ideology... Where was this lack of pride in 2014? It's the same players after all and pride is something that you either have or not... it's not based on whether or not you won the tournament.

As for the rest of your post typically for you really.

Anyway, stumbled upon this article

Santiago Ascacibar: Maradona on his leg, fire in his heart, Stuttgart’s wonderkid | bundesliga.com

Ascacibar hurt he hasn't played the past couple of preseason games?

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
The worst part is it's not just "journalists" it's spotrs-journalists. Sane and ter Steegen behind Nils Petersen (with all due respect) is funny.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The worst part is it's not just "journalists" it's spotrs-journalists. Sane and ter Steegen behind Nils Petersen (with all due respect) is funny.

I also don't understand why its mixing German players playing abroad and foreign players playing in Germany. It should either be only German players or only players playing in Germany.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's been like that for a long time though. Kevin Keegan got 6th place in 1980 while Schnellinger kept getting votes even as he played in Italy in the 60s and 70s.

I agree though that it is a somewhat strange arrangement, and I think the voters themselves might interpret it differently and decide individually whether they're voting for Best German Player, Best German Player in the Bundesliga or Best Player in the Bundesliga. Kroos is only the 6th German playing abroad winning it (first since Bierhoff in 98) and there've only been 5 non-German Bundesliga players who've won it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Amazing arrogance. This guy sucked. Thats why he left. Blaming the fans is a joke. He gets no extra privileges because he was a German international. Either you are able to help the team or not. He couldn't.

"We had a difficult last two years when I was in Dortmund," Schurrle, who earned a Premier League winners' medal with Chelsea in 2015, told the Sun. "It was not easy, the relationship between fans and players. It's a big jealousy thing in Germany that you have from fans -- not the hardcore fans, because they always stand behind their team.

"It's not easy, especially for a German national team player who did great things in the past and maybe is struggling. That's why I think most of the German national team play abroad because if you don't play for Bayern Munich and you don't always win, it's difficult

Schurrle: Fans' jealousy drove me from BVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad