News Article: Georgiev requests trade

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I grew up in Brooklyn and those pucks didn't exist 40 years ago when I was playing pickup street hockey as a tweener. I'm telling you - electrical tape is a surprisingly effective puck on asphalt or concrete.
How??? It would be soooo light :laugh: I'd imagine shots would go like 10mph, it probably wouldn't even make it to the net. Did people actually do this or are you guys both in on some sort of joke? LOL

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
yeah it's basically the same weather as Seattle, right?

anyway, Georgiev.
Unfortunately. lol, my favorite climate is like California. But I do prefer snow over rain so I'd prefer NYC climate, or even Alberta; over ours. Only problem is Alberta can't grow palm trees and I'm quite the palm tree enthusiast. I have 4 in my yard.

Just try it out if you don't believe me - a roll of electrical tape is like $1.29.
no, it's the truth. in the mid 90s, I was absolutely playing street hockey with a roll of electrical tape and a garbage can.
OH do you guys mean using like the whole roll/disc of electrical tape like a puck? LMAO I imagined like this:
grey-ball-duck-tape-isolated-260nw-356366270.jpg

Thats why I thought it would be way too light. I'll try out the roll of tape sometime

Reactions: savebyrichter94

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Unfortunately. lol, my favorite climate is like California. But I do prefer snow over rain so I'd prefer NYC climate, or even Alberta; over ours. Only problem is Alberta can't grow palm trees and I'm quite the palm tree enthusiast. I have 4 in my yard.

OH do you guys mean using like the whole roll/disc of electrical tape like a puck? LMAO I imagined like this:

Thats why I thought it would be way too light. I'll try out the roll of tape sometime

yes a full roll of tape, not a tape ball lol

palm trees in BC though, that's pretty cool.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

:laugh: You use the whole roll, silly

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Georgiev has looked bad and we should have moved him a couple years ago, but we didn't. He's still here; it wasn't THAT long ago that the guy was turning in some truly excellent performances. Let's give him this last chance and hope he gets back on track. If he flounders I'm sure the organization will look internally or externally for an upgrade.

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
I think the Geo situation is resolved this week. If he plays well and gets his confidence back, he stays a while longer. If he bombs this "tryout", he forces Drury's hand.

Many of us predicted he'd be gone after his previous start. I appreciate Gallant's sticking with a player through a rough patch. I just hope that patch won't be too rough.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I played in an outdoor roller hockey league that used electrical tape for a puck as a teen in NJ. The league was both a blast and a bloodbath. Full checking. Chain link fence instead of glass. Hormones. Loved every second of it.
When we play at The Hockey Guy meetups they have chainlink fence and some bozo hit a guy into it and separated his shoulder, we had to wait hours for an ambulance lol

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Did you grow up in a mud hut??? :laugh: I've never heard of anyone doing this LOL

These pucks are amazing for outdoor use though, they glide just like a puck on ice:
Snipe-Angle-600.png
Back in the 80s when I played roller hockey in NY, we used electrical tape as pucks. It worked well on cement, but you needed the tape to be a certain weight/type. Not just any electrical tape, lol.

It is very rough though, a lot rougher than the ice hockey league I play in. There are multiple fights every game and a lot of contact. I envision the meetup being casual like the ones we do with The Hockey Guy, you can watch me light it up on YouTube ;) I think ball hockey is safer than ice hockey though given that most guys here won't have adequate protective equipment and it can be quite dangerous to play hockey when most guys don't know how to skate (sorry for making this assumption but you guys are Americans so :sarcasm:)

When I moved to NW Florida a week after the SC parade in 94, the only hockey in the area was floor hockey and it was mostly played by military guys from up north. The only requirement was shin guards and gloves. Helmets and shields were optional. It could be a little rough (some military guys liked to play rough), but nothing like my full contact roller and ice leagues.

Remember, this was the 80s. We weren't as safety conscious as we are now. Pick-up games did not require helmets. Cages and shields weren't required in most leagues back then. I was a macho (aka foolish) enforcer so I rarely wore a cage/shield. I can assure you that I would crack my head, break my nose, eat a stick/elbow, or break an orbital bone whenever I didn't wear one. I was so dumb.

Btw, as far as Americans not skating on ice, it's a lot easier to get ice time now than it was back then. We had to play at like 1-2 am after ice rinks were closed to the public. I live in Houston now and there are about 4 rinks where you can play ice hockey during normal hours. And it's not just Americans though. Statboy Steven doesn't skate. The Netherlands has all these nice canals were people skate in the winter, but not our friend.

Reactions: egelband

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Guys. You wanna hear about hardship hockey? I Lived in ICELAND. We played on icerinks atop the glaciers with treacherous 1 mile deep crevices strategically found here and There - inside the actual playing area. Where underneath lurked Active volcanos - ready to explode at Any time. Which They Sometimes Did. And There were only 2 teams in the country. Blood Eagles of Hall of Famers that had gone rogue were commonplace during intermissions in the playoffs. Brennivin consumption exorbitant - both on and off the ice. Crowd riots were mandatory for all fans, the better seats were consequently given better weapons. In true Viking fashion, the winning team got to eat the losing teams captains raw liver after Every game. Being an Assistant Captain There was a blessing… ;)

Last edited:

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Green biscuit is a great puck. I worked at a pro shop in San Jose when it first was made. Tom Pederson used to come in all the time and ask us to use it and push it. It is not an understatement to say that that puck has revolutionized street hockey and practice away from the rink.

Also, if you had the big bucks in the 90s, you used these bad boys...
upload_2021-12-7_9-22-8.png

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If Igor is back Sunday, Geo has done everything asked of him in his absence.

Some funky goals against in Chicago, but 3-0 is 3-0, even if it wasn't against the best competition but hey, thats who a back up is supposed to play against.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Some funky goals against in Chicago, but 3-0 is 3-0, even if it wasn't against the best competition but hey, thats who a back up is supposed to play against.
Unfortunately practice was cancelled tomorrow giving Igor no time to prepare for a game, so it looks very likely Geo is back in on Sunday.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Marek Malik caught a lot of shit from people.

A bunch of people from the old NYR site did a meetup at Cafe 31 many years ago. There was a contingency of posters from the old Rangers board that despised Malik. I guess he was just that years whipping boy. Maybe like 05 or 06. Later during that game, one of the posters finds himself getting interviewed by Trautwig in between periods.

Mic in his face, pic up on the Jumbotron Troutwig asks, "What do you think about the way the team is playing after the 1st period"
His response....Sillence for an uncomfortable 10 seconds, then he utters..."Ummm well, i F'n hate Marek Malik"

We ran into him later. We said..."you talk Rangers all day long on that site, and that's all you could say?"
He replied...I totally blew it and blanked when he put the mic in my face.

lol, who was it?? I was from the old, old, old board, and while I remember quite a bit of Roszival and Malik hate, I don’t remember this story.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
There's no doubt that Georgiev will have a new team next year, if not sooner. The question is how that happens. He has 1 RFA year remaining. His QO will be 2.65 mil and he is arbitration eligible. His recent play is encouraging, but he'll need to keep it up to make him attractive to other teams. I don't think there's any chance that we are going to give him the QO, so if we don't find a trade for him by mid June, we will likely lose him for nothing.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Agreed. This little stretch was, hopefully, a redemption arc for him. The team didn’t even play well in some of these wins and he still held it together (although in a scrambly way). The posts and offsides call were his best friends and made him statistically look a bit better than he really was in reality.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's no doubt that Georgiev will have a new team next year, if not sooner. The question is how that happens. He has 1 RFA year remaining. His QO will be 2.65 mil and he is arbitration eligible. His recent play is encouraging, but he'll need to keep it up to make him attractive to other teams. I don't think there's any chance that we are going to give him the QO, so if we don't find a trade for him by mid June, we will likely lose him for nothing.

He’ll be an RFA so I don’t think we will lose him for nothing but I agree with your other points. He is a younger goalie and I can see where he’s coming from in not wanting to be a career backup. If that’s his ambition I think it better that he finds a new team to play for.

From a Rangers standpoint it is important that we have a reliable backup and if it’s a decent veteran guy he’s probably going to be $1.5 a year anyway. You really want a guy who can play 35 or so games a year anyway even if you don’t use him that much. Garand when he turns pro is headed for Hartford. You don’t want him sitting too much. He’ll need to get in games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad